Can we complain about pop-sci?

Can we complain about pop-sci?

It's just a way to give normies a vague approximation of what's really going on without threatening them. Cringy yes but harmless and even good for society.

But then departments would have to throw even more justifications to bureacrats and journalists about why their shitty projects deserve public funding.

Ugh I saw that on imgur, glad someone else thinks it's gay

even if its cringe or gay arent the points listed in ops pic true ?

What a boring image. Reading that list one by one I was expecting the punchline to be that the last statement would be something completely retarded but no... it's all facts.

Shame on you OP. You made a serious thread. For that, fuck you.

Two of them are pseudosci bullcrap, three are neither proven nor disproven, one is strawman, and the remaining four are total basic shit that either are a waste of time to debate given how badly people defend their point of view or have never sparked any debate between knowledgable minds.

>science is like magic but real

is it tho?

>One is a strawman
So what kind of retard are you?
Also I count three bullshit statements.

>give normies a vague approximation of what's really going on

No it doesn't.

>math is the universal language

I highly doubt you could actually find one mathematician who would agree on that.
The only thing universal about math is that most mathematicians have agreed on certain axioms, which is the least universal thing there is.

Fuck pop-sci retards talking about things they do not understand.

At least one isn't.

How is math not a universal language? If I have 2 apples on earth, and then I add 2 more apples I have 4 apples. If I have 2 alien fruit on an alien planet, and then add 2 more alien fruit; I now have 4 alien fruits. I'd say math is universal, the language we use to designate these numbers might be different, but they're still the same basic formula.

That's most of what this board does

>How is math not a universal language?
Because the axioms are not universal.

>If I have 2 apples on earth, and then I add 2 more apples I have 4 apples.
That has nothing to do with math, there is no relation between mathematics and reality, the bridge between them is called physics.
Mathematics might tell you that if you add one and one you get 0, a physicist will tell you how the abstract definition of adding in mathematics related to the real world.

>f I have 2 alien fruit on an alien planet, and then add 2 more alien fruit; I now have 4 alien fruits.
The same here.

>I'd say math is universal
Then you are wrong, the axioms are choose more or less arbitrary.

> the language we use to designate these numbers might be different,
Of course and I was not talking about certain expressions of mathematics being different.

>but they're still the same basic formula.
That is wrong.

But the fact that they are axioms means there's structure to them right? I only have a basic education in mathematics, but I don't understand how they wouldn't be the same basic formula. a^2+b^2=c^2 will hold true regardless of where you are in the universe. Can you explain what you mean, when you say that one plus one can equal zero?

>But the fact that they are axioms means there's structure to them right?
Of course they have. But they are by no means universal, it is completely conceivable to choose very different axioms and end up with a different view of mathematics.

>I don't understand how they wouldn't be the same basic formula. a^2+b^2=c^2 will hold true regardless of where you are in the universe
Of course the formula will always hold if you are basing it of the the same axioms, but for different axioms you might get very different formulas.
We might one day meet an alien species, whos mathematics has absolutely nothing to do with our, who could not even comprehend what someone might mean with that formula, not just symbol wise, but conceptually.
Our Idea of "adding things" might just be an invention of us humans.

>Can you explain what you mean, when you say that one plus one can equal zero?
There are different way to count, there is something you call a "ring", which in some sense is a generalization of how we add and multiply for example the whole numbers are such a ring.
This counting has to follow certain axioms like (a+b)+c=a+(b+c), in one other possible ring your definition of adding leads to 1+1=0.
(If you are interested you calculate everything mod 2)

It's possible for there to exist regions of space where 1+1=3.

>earth is round
True
>vaccine werks
No, sometimes they dont and sometimes they do, its a chemical reaction in the body after all and everyones body is different
>weve been to the moon
Cant be proven, might as well be American cold war propaganda, might as well not be, but there are no proven moonrock surface substances existing on earth on the astronauts boots
>climate change is real
What they mean by climate change is "hurr hwyte ppl make the earth go warm pls stop living your life" but its a cycle that just keeps reoccurring every ~50000 years of heat and ice ages
Oh and by the way all the earths microbes produce hundreds of times more carbon dioxide and methane than humans
>universe is expanding
Not proven just a popsci theory
>math is the Universal language
No its just a human language like English or German because no concept of math can be proven and all is based on axioms like 1+1=2 just like we define meaning to symbols in laguage, its just defined conventions that dont exist in the universe
>chemtrails arent a thing
You cant say that for sure unless youre one of the 76 chosen ones
>evolution is a fact
Well yeah it would explain why people who are more hairy / more body hair and flatter noses and look way closer like monkeys in general have a lower iq, higher aggression, and act more primitive
However if you say that and the scientific papers that prove that with genetic comparisons of negroids and monkeys to a person who says "hurr evolution is real" they instantly just call you a racist and say all humans are equal and try to repress the whole evolution
>we are all made of stardust
Not dust but actually just the protons that stars fuse to different atoms and spam around to the universe
"What do you mean my magical anime girls arent real?"

Okay im done complaining about fucking normies with their retarded muh science, its been fun.

Can we stop calling popsci popsci and just start calling it pop instead? Its no science only popular culture maymays

How? If I have 1 object and I put it next to 1 more object I have 2 objects, not 3. Regardless of the fact that we denoted the word 'one' to mean a singular object. If you place one singular object next to another singular object you now have double singular objects. We just denote that with the word 'two'. I get the concept of social constructs, such as time (one second in earth means nothing to an alien in terms of measurement), but place one object next to another object and even the alien would understand that there is not just one singular object, but multiple. Maybe I just can't wrap my mind around it, but axioms are man made "rules" by which to use as the basic foundation of math. If they hold up here on earth, they must hold up in other places of the universe, even if they're denoted in different units of measurements.

t. Vargtard

>If I have 1 object and I put it next to 1 more object I have 2 objects, not 3.
That has absolutely nothing to do with math.
Mathematics is not about real objects, if anything this is about physics.

>If you place one singular object next to another singular object you now have double singular objects.
If you place one singular object next to another singular object in the ring given by the whole numbers mod2, then you got no objects.
WOW, it seems like mathematics does not describe reality very well.

>I get the concept of social constructs, such as time
This is just a stupid word game I am not willing to play.
I am not saying that you are necessarily wrong and that time is not a social construct, but this is a cancerous point.

>but place one object next to another object and even the alien would understand that there is not just one singular object, but multiple.
So? Again, how does this relate to mathematics?

>but axioms are man made "rules" by which to use as the basic foundation of math
Yes, exactly.

>If they hold up here on earth
An axiom does not hold up. By definition IT CAN NOT BE PROVED. THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT HUMANITY BASED MATH ON (more or less) ARBITRARY RULES.
WHY THE FUCK WOULD AN ALIEN SPECIES USE THE SAME RULES?

>even if they're denoted in different units of measurements.
Mathematics has nothing to so with units of measurements. You are talking about physics.

No you cant

Its great that normies appreciate science

pop sci is necessary to meme people into learning something that they normally would never be interested in.

scientism.jpg

the fact that axioms are necessary is what prevents math from being a universal language. logical systems have to be based on a set of assumptions, and the assumptions aren't universal. you seem to be confusing mathematics with describing quantity and completely misunderstanding what people are even saying when they try to call mathematics a universal language.

>Can't be proven
>Can't say if chemtrails are real or not

Holy shit what an awful thread, open a fuckin book you guys are as uneducated as tumblr.

The fundamental axioms and undefined terms of mathematics are intuitions drawn directly from nature. The rest of math is built entirely on this foundation.
Some mathematicians despise this fact because it detracts from their delusions of grandeur. That's why they continually try to deny it. It's a self-esteem thing.

>the axiom of choice comes from nature
What did he mean by this?

#
>the axiom of infinity comes from nature
What did he mean by this?

>the axiom of choice isn't natural
What did he mean by this

Even if you start with an arbitrary collection of axioms, is "statement x follows from axiom set A" a universal truth?

>there are non-measurable objects in nature
Please point me to a tree that can't be assigned a volume

You're a fucking retard, good job. Shit up and leave now.

>there are uncountable infinities in nature

>What they mean by climate change is "hurr hwyte ppl make the earth go warm pls stop living your life" but its a cycle that just keeps reoccurring every ~50000 years of heat and ice ages
Oh and by the way all the earths microbes produce hundreds of times more carbon dioxide and methane than humans

Yep it's retarded.

It doesn't matter that microbes make more co2 than us we make un necessary co2 that contributes to the greenhouse effect. We produce useless co2 because fucking capitalists don't want to ruin property values with a more effective hyrdo dam. And the co2 they produce has already been accounted for in the temperature of earth. We producing more and more therefore causing man made global warming.

In short Fuck you. You're a moron go back to the Donald.

>because fucking capitalists don't want to ruin property values
fuck you and fuck your reddit spacing
the reason why we still use fossil fuels is because they're still cheaper than most other forms of energy
solar and wind only still operate at 20-30% of capacity, nuclear plants still produce power that's more expensive per kilowatt, and you can't just build dams on any fucking stream
even if they were trivial in construction costs

>everything is the evil capitalists fault hurr
Youre using a computational device that was developed by American capitalists in the second world War to decrypt nazi chiffres connected to a central networking system that was developed in the cold war by capitalist Americans so that they could spy better on russia by sharing information faster and save the world from hunger, and your using those devices to talk shit about capitalism online
And yet you call me retarded

No, because it depends on the underlying logic. Even something as simple as "either the Riemann hypothesis is true or the Riemann hypothesis is false" depends on whether you're using classical or intuitionistic logic.

>math is the universal language
that would be violence

that would be engineering

>axioms like 1+1=2
Oh my fucking god please kys

The universe is indeed expanding, no doubt about that. Cosmological redshift? Big bang? None of those ring a bell?

Its not an approximation and normies should feel threatened

Geezus cripe people, it's just a troll bait thread. Ignore it.

I don't think it's very good for society actually. What would be good for society would be promoting learning, which involves asking questions. I remember the days when promoting science meant promoting reading and inquiry and curiosity about the world. This kind of stuff is completely different. This is about taking simple "scientific" concepts that anyone with a basic education knows and bashing it over the heads of people who are even dumber than they are so that they

>Ugh I saw that on imgur

>muh climate change
everyones so worried about humans changing the climate they dont bother to consider the possibility that its going to change into something that makes very little difference at all.

its one of the greatest misdirections I have ever seen, lets all worry about muh CO2 when actual real environmental problems like endless plastic trash remain unsolved.

ITT: insecure /pol/ morons validating their cognitive dissonance. I mean, just take a look at this gem right here: . Slightly better grammar and this guy could be landing himself an interview with Alex Jones about how he "single handedly exposed science as a globalist fraud".

Pic related: self-taught scientist shows off his knowledge.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Things are better for everyone when science is just something to be stayed away by most people.

Trying to get normies excited by science and can only do more harm than good. Yes Science can be fun but so can swimming. People who never learnt about it like small children should keep the shallow end and watch carefully at all time.

>Earth is not flat
True. Proven by physics, geometry, and visual proof by multiple governing bodies across thousands of years.
>Vaccines work
True. Vaccines are mostly responsible for the downfall of once prominent diseases.
>We've been to the moon
True. Proven by multiple governing bodies through radio emissions
>Climate change is real
True. Humans have been causing the rapid increase of CO2 levels in the atmosphere since the industrial revolution, and in the 20th century that has been greatly exacerbated. Scientists from around the world been proving this for decades.
>Universe is expanding
True. It was proven by Hubble.
>Math is universal language.
True. In the same respect that French is the universal language of France; It will work almost 100% of the time, encompassing all practical (not theoretical) uses.
>Chemtrails aren't a thing
True. This isn't even something that needs to be proven since contrails are something humans have known would occur since the invention of the jet engine.
>evolution is a fact
Somewhat true. Evolution is a theory, not a law. That being said, it's ideas are based on facts that living organisms change over time with respect to their surroundings.
>We are all made of stardust
True, but not really important. Any person who doesn't believe the Earth is 6,000 years old would likely believe this
>Science is like magic but real
Again, true, but unimportant. Anybody you have to explain that science is real and magic is not is lost, and there will never be a reason to speak with them on the matter.

Stop calling all of this "popsci" just because you see it on facebook or twitter or whatever. They are (mostly) important issues that people who hold power are ignoring or do not believe. This is the reason they are popular. It isn't something the average person states just to feel smart. It would do the complete opposite if you couldn't actually explain any of them.