Texas Kombucha is a scam

Texas law requires all Kombucha to accurately list the ABV on the bottle. This means that Kombucha sold in Texas retailers has no living organisms. The product sits on shelves 'til the bacteria and yeast are dead, at which point fermentation no longer takes place. Then it is delivered to stores.

Other urls found in this thread:

webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-kombucha
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How does that make it a scam exactly? You're still buying a beverage, right?

european education

Hey at least you gave me a bump. Thanks for that.

European education makes it a scam? Oh, wait, are you one of those nutjobs that thinks it's a magic health potion? Some idiot dying of cancer decided chayniy grib would save their life so now healthniks in America think it's good for them?

because the idea of kombucha is to ingest living bacteria that are supposed to be good for your body
note the line "living food for the living body" in op's pic

The idea of kombucha is that it tastes nice, anything else is just people being fucking mental.

No, the idea of kombucha is to ingest living bacteria.

In which case all kombucha everywhere is a scam, because ingesting living gluconacetobacter and yeast serves literally no purpose compared to ingesting dead gluconacetobacter and yeast. Kombucha is not a functional beverage unless you're a credulous idiot.

kombucha the drink is literally live yeast/living organism/living cultures. LIVING. if it's dead, then it isn't kombucha. it would be like serving yogurt without live cultures. it's not yogurt. none of us are claiming that there are health benefits or that we drink it. the thread was made to tell people this one company is a scam.

how fucking stupid do you have to be to require all these replies to understand that?

After trying a bunch, this is the only one I drink, since it tastes good.

i'm sitting here giggling thinking about you running up to kids eating yoplait screaming "THAT'S NOT YOGHURT!!!!!!!!!!!"

"It also has probiotics -- the “good bacteria” that are considered helpful for your body."

webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-kombucha

If the bacteria are dead you won't get the probiotic benefits. However, my question: Are the yeast and bacteria just dormant instead of dead when it stops fermenting? I know when I ferment beer and wine they stop fermenting after the sugars are consumed but they're still very much alive.

Then why market it as a health drink and make false advertising claims like pointed out?

It might surprise you, autismo, but 'let food be thy medicine' and eating healthy isn't a meme. There's more to consider about food than just taste.

I was told by a local producer that it's all dead by the time it hits the shelf in Texas

>why market it as a health drink and make false advertising claims
Because the FDA has better things to do.

>'let food be thy medicine' and eating healthy isn't a meme
Eating healthy is certainly not a meme, but kombucha having health benefits is a meme. And unless you have a significant health problem, 'let food be thy medicine' is also just a meme. There is _one_ reputable study of kombucha's health benefits in the literature, and it's an animal study. Admittedly, a lot of the compounds in kombucha will also be present in tea, usually to a greater degree, and both green and black teas have been show to have a concrete health benefit where they replace soda in the diet, and green tea has been show to have a probable health benefit compared to water.

So basically, kombucha is another tasty beverage, with no notable health benefits compared to tea. And I say this as somebody who ferments kombucha at home, and lacto-ferments pickles. They just taste good, they don't do anything significant in comparison to other foods.

>Admittedly, a lot of the compounds in kombucha will also be present in tea, usually to a greater degree, and both green and black teas have been show to have a concrete health benefit
>tea has been show to have a probable health benefit compared to water.
>So basically, kombucha is another tasty beverage, with no notable health benefits compared to tea.
So if tea has health benefits then so does kombucha. I get that you don't want to be a part of the day time Dr Phil crowd (because of your near-genius intellect), but you're contradicting yourself. You sounds like a dumb entitled nigger whose only criticism is "memes" and "reddit."

No normal person drinks tea for the health benefits though, and, more importantly, there is no study suggesting that kombucha is beneficial compared to water. Your claim
>if tea has health benefits then so does kombucha
is completely unfounded, since they are not the same beverage. Black tea doesn't have sufficient weight of evidence to suggest it is better than water, and it's more like green tea than kombucha is.

um ok

I drink tea for all them anti oxidents

Would this be possible to test, trying to reactivate the yeast by adding sugar. Possibly in a carboy? If the abv goes up or the water lock bubbles, then there's fermentation occurring, right?

Who /booch/ here?

Yes. I'm sure the yeast and bacteria don't die THE SECOND all the sugar has been consumed. So there must be a dormant period...

Roughly a quarter of the yeast population will die per _week_ without sugars, so there should still be a viable population (unless it's pasteurized) for literally months. I've got no idea about the bacteria though; they're non-sporulating bacteria, so they're not that likely to have survival systems for the long term.

Appreciate the addendum

Quit being a retard and just make your own Kombucha at home.

>leave tea out accidentally
>it starts to get all scummy with visible mold colonies forming
>meh, lets just sell it to retarded hipsters and call it a health drink

Texas must still be full of retarded blue law lovers who think the devils booze will steal their souls

>Local man stuffs pancakes into piss jar. "Happy bacteria makes a happy tummy, and a happy tummy makes a happy man," he was cited as saying.

politicians in every state are power hungry and bad

Dude, there are still dry counties all over the south where it's not only illegal to sell alcohol, but also to possess it. My county is particularly retarded. A few years ago they authorized the sale of beer in grocery stores and spirits and wine in liquor stores only within the city limits of the county seat. But get this: It's still a dry county and you can be busted for possession of alcohol or beer within the county. I have to say I'd challenge it if I were busted because that's just batshit craziness.

>inb4 some retard says they don't enforce it. Every week in the weekly county paper where they list the criminal blotter there are always a handful busted for possession of alcohol in a dry county.

BETTER THUMP THAT BIBLE, CLETUS

*Trump that bible (intentionally lowercase)
FTFY, good sir.

Bump

Is it nice?
I'm thinking about trying it out myself since I like the idea of the SCOBY and I love tea.
What's the taste difference between kombucha and the tea you make it with?
Is it easy to make without poisoning yourself?

why does it have to be kombucha then? i can start a yeast culture with anything

Tastes a little like vinegar

No it doesn't. You are flawed.

All kombucha is a scam
You're drinking some kind of bacteria and fungus mix that has never been proven to be beneficial, only harmful via infection

I don't understand this false choice. Kombacha in Texas can be live. They just have in print that is fermented and has a abv of less then 0.5%. It is no more regulated then soy sauce or other foods that use fermentation as a process.

>never been proven to be beneficial

i can go to pubmed right now and find you 2 dozen articles for each lactobacillus strain, as well as the concept of natural vinegar byproducts of them, and why they're good for you

you're talking out of your fucking ass dude

if it says 'probiotics' on the bottle that clearly is misleading.

>You're drinking some kind of bacteria and fungus mix that has never been proven to be beneficial
Neither has cheese cake or bacon, big deal it tastes good so what.

>moving the goalposts

That doesn't prove anything.