Mandarin Buffet

My family is taking me to a buffet placed called Mandarin for my birthday. What do I expect?is the food good? Is the service good? Is it worth the 25 dollars per person? Are there Chinese tricks like filler in the water? How do I get the most out of the buffet?

Pic related

If it's in a normal city with an average cost of living it's good. If it's in downtown NYC it's probably just decent.

Pretty sure you can get a happy ending if you tip more than $10.

If that's the photo of the place, you can expect a slightly above average buffet with above average service.

There is lemon with the water - constant refills.

There are lots of non-Chinese options, and tons of "fillers" on the menu.

To get your money's worth, eat at least one plate of seafood.

It's in Toronto.

Doesn't water fill you up?

>To get your money's worth
Why the fuck do idiots concern themselves with this? If you want to get your money's worth don't go out to eat, just eat at home. Once you've already made the decision to go out to eat why not make the goal of the evening an enjoyable night out with your family over a meal none of you had to cook? Trying to game the buffet for maximum value of food consumed is some real poorfag shit, and shows a complete lack of dignity.

Buffet pros SIP their beverage. Filling up on liquid totally ruins your eating potential.

Elite-tier buffet pros have a glass of water per plate, makes it easier to vomit up the food in the bathroom, leaving more room for more plates.

Also avoid breads and pastas and grains and veggies. Focus on meats and sushi.

Just the tip?

Whether you are serious is unknown. But I'm sure some people do that.

>How do I get the most out of the buffet?
I wish I had the Golden Corral story on hand, those people sound like pros. I guess a good idea is to survey the buffet, see all that they have, see what looks the freshest, try not to get too many dense foods, keep your throwup bucket clean.

You can go out with the senpai, drop $2-300 on food and beverage, get an experience you wouldn't get at home, and STILL not feel cheated. The food there isn't anything that couldn't be made at home for the most part, but there's a large variety of it.

I personally don't ever feel great about dropping $25+tax+beverages on a Chinese buffet. A plate of shrimp, crab, and mussels eases any lingering buyer's remorse.

>I personally don't ever feel great about dropping $25+tax+beverages on a Chinese buffet.
I actually can't imagine this. The Chinese buffets near me aren't unlimited, they're four choices over rice, and the price is $5. You get more than a meal's worth of food in a styrofoam container and that's that. For $25 a person I can get a fucking feast in Chinatown without involving any sort of buffet, and one of the dishes will be clams in black bean sauce.

poes law

But Edgar Allan Poe married and fucked his cousin. Should he really be passing legislation and making laws?

Why not just eat what you want to eat/looks appetizing since it's literally a gift from your family. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

the $25 option gets you pretty much whatever you want in black bean sauce, or without.

It's a giant buffet, and I always embarrass myself with the amount of food I eat there. There are so many options.

If I'm with a large group, in order to make sure they aren't waiting three hours for me to finish eating, I start with the seafood. Get a plate of things I like, see where my company is at - if they're onto dessert of something, I go to dessert. If they're still going, I'll grab another plate and some soup.

I don't know how I'm not 300lbs. God bless highly physical labour.

It's usually a gift TO my family.

As for what's wrong with me... how much time do you have? It's not a short list.

You are getting jacked if you fill up on bread sticks and chocolate milk you dumb dipshit.

You're wasting your time if you don't enjoy the evening rather than getting autistic about eating as much as physically possible

>the $25 option gets you pretty much whatever you want in black bean sauce, or without.
The Chinatown places near me are a la carte, but for $25 a person you can easily order a feast for the table and just pass all the dishes around. And that would be in Manhattan's Chinatown. If I went to Chinatown in Brooklyn or Queens that same meal plus a beer for everyone would be more like $15-$20 per person.

>eat food you don't want because it's worth more
Sunk cost fallacy

Screw you guys, going home.

Why can't it be both?

Only an autist deals in absolutes.

It's okay, better than your corner $8 lunch buffet place. It's like mid-class quality

Dinner is too pricy though

Its not a buffet if its not unlimited. You're eating at a regular Chinese restaurant.

Regular restaurants don't have all their shit in warming trays. Restaurants cook food to order. When it's precooked and just sitting there it's a buffet. While I understand in some parts of the country buffet implies unlimited that is not the case everywhere.