Why do brainlets think that science and religion are incompatible?

Why do brainlets think that science and religion are incompatible?

The only true religion is Islam.

t. Barry Obama

Obama jokes are so funny now that it's 6 weeks from 2018.

You're right, a religion of peace

The same reason geniuses do. Because it is.

Too dumb to get the big picture, too smart to trust in faith.

This, but unironically.

I know. I loathe those types that think that science is necessarily opposed to religion. There's some truth in it though; I won't deny that.
But that applies to ideology too. Think of the postmodern left, climate change deniers and so on - are they religious? When I say postmodern left I'm thinking of the types who think culture determines everything, and the opposite is just as wrong of course.

My guess is because they (rightly, IMO) reject the Judeo-Christian fairytale, but for one reason or another decide not to contemplate the issue further.

Deism master race

People think science is opposed to religion because modern science is basically empiricism and empiricism is opposed to religion for various reasons.

Although the founders of empiricism were religious, though. Strikes me as a bit hypocritical considering how empiricism is directly opposed to all the methods people use to rationalize religious belief (denying a priori reasoning, intuition, and revelation and instead requiring testing and physical proof)

Again, this isn't to say that science itself is anti-religion, but the core concepts behind religion, such as empiricism and also rationalism and skepticism, are all anti-religion.

Manly P Hall was a life changing event for me.

jESUS CHRIST

I'd like to see a similar chart focusing on high IQ (120+) people

No luck, Tardo. The gap just keeps getting wider.

inb4 Muh Newton
He was also psychotic for a while, you know.

Well, if we go by Mensa, this is a demographic I found from mensa.org:
49% Christian, 3% Unitarian, 9% Jewish, 7% agnostic, 3.6% atheist, 9% no religion

The majority are americans, so if I compare the average of the USA, you'll get an idea
USA average based on Gallup:
73% Christian, 5.4% nonchristian, 18% none/agnostic/athiest

that is good question. because they are almost one in the same actually

Pantheism god race

btw, this data on mensa is from 1996 so it's rather dated.

true dat

>He was also psychotic for a while, you know.
name one genius that aint crazy

Because scientific thinking has made us interpret religious stories as literal statements of fact instead of as parables of morality, and since objective facts are basically defined as scientific truth, obviously science wins at its own game
To those who still have a more metaphorical and intuitive view of the world are instead in the opposite situation, trying to extract morality from scientific facts, and since facts are often counter-intuitive with no obvious relationship to morality, science is dismissed as immoral

>relying on a text instead of pursuing gnosis

When they say "God" they dont mean Kikeveh they mean an incomprehensible extrauniversal alien intelligence that constructed our reality using superscience we have yet to grasp.

what are the remaining ~19% of mensa members then? seems to me that the difference in atheists&agnostics from the wider US to mensa is marginal
Those numbers indicate 18% vs 19.6% which could be explained by having members from less religious countries

wrong

Religiosity and IQ are inversely proportional above 100 IQ. On average, the higher the IQ, the lower the religiosity.

that's 1996 mensa data vs 2014 USA data, though. America is much more atheist now than it used to be.

Unfortunately I can't find more recent data but I think it's a safe bet that Mensa has followed the trend of the rest of the US and become even less religious than it was

Science explains how the world works. Religion attempts to explain how we should ACT in that world.
I know Peterson gets memed a lot here and on places like Veeky Forums and /pol/ but he's right in that religion can be theorized as a distillation of human thinking, and most importantly, experience, over the ages. Collectively, each generation of humans have consciously and unconsciously taken bits and pieces of historical and contemporary stories and extracted what they felt was the truth. Some stories persist and other die off, archetypes are formed, and legends created. So you could argue that yes, religion is "true", so much as people ACT like it is true. What difference is there then?

Many of the old philosophers of the enlightenment believed in religion and God, even though those concepts were in "opposition" to enlightenment notions because belief in those concepts let them understand things greater than "what is". Some people would say that in believing those "lies" of religion, you can gain a deeper truth about yourself and the nature of "why is".

>Implying it basically doesn't boil down to that empirist scientists find that there is no two hundred and sixty cubit skydaddy located in the thermosphere

>Implying empirist scientists aren't therefore on par with rain dancers and stone worshippers

>bruh science and religion are like, totally orthogonal magisteria, lmao
>*tips mitre
Meanwhile actual religious people publish their own "scientific" reviews where they try to prove that the Earth is 6000 years old

They may say that, but as I see it there's only two real reasons they were religious; either because they decided ahead of time to believe in god and were just rationalizing their beliefs and making excuses, OR they were actually non-religious but pretended because it would be social suicide and fuck over every aspect of their life if the common rabble found out they didn't believe in God.

Anything other than those two is just them putting on airs.

>Religion attempts to explain how we should ACT in that world.
>dude religion is just moral lmao
That's a very, very recent view of religion. It's also entirely western, and not even universal in the west.
Many people still believe the Egyptians held the Hebrews in slavery.

Go to Saudi Arabia and ask there.

Because is consistently reveals lies/discrepancies in holy books.

Atheists repeating their mantra ad nauseum

>When I say postmodern left I'm thinking of the types who think culture determines everything
Then call them for what they are - universalistic retards.

see

Fake quote.

I do believe in a god per se but I don't believe in any of the religions. How can I know which one is the right one? It's like a 1 in 1000000000 chance since there are 1000000000 religions in the world.

The best bet is, as a god fearing person, being a Christian or a Muslim.

>implying science and religion are compatible

>Obama jokes are so funny now that it's 6 weeks from 2018.
Obama will get funnier and funnier over time. Do I need to remind you that he was given a Nobel peace prize? Yes we can! Race relations have never been better guys!

think of what happens when you project a higher dimensional object onto a lower dimensional surface.

divergent perceptions needn't be a problem.

It doesn't matter what you call it, all that matters is that it is God

Damn, I did some digging and you're right. Apparently someone reinterpreted a quote by Francis Bacon and misattributed it to Heisenberg.

In any case, here's another one that I like.

Planck recanted his consciousness nonsense later.

not that guy but there is quite clearly a difference in ideas of God and leaving the idea ambiguous allows christfags to act like science is on their side, which they love to do.