Literary confessions

Post them.

Throughout my university education I have probably collectively written somewhere in the neighbourhood of 900-1000 pages for various academic essays and term papers. Spaced out over a few years and numerous different courses that is not that much. Especially when you factor in the in text citations/quotes. Most of my term papers have received grades ranging from an A- to A+ with a few B's. It's always my own, original work. Until this term.

I have paid $300 to have 2 term papers written. I am plagiarizing. I have written 70 pages worth of essays on my own this term and I have absolutely no more juice left. I have been severely depressed for years. It has only gotten worse. I can barely get out of bed. Last month I missed 2 weeks of class because I could not bring myself to leave my apartment. I am pretty ashamed but I don't care anymore.

I have strong opinions on books I've never read.

Kafka was a pussy.

I started with Zarathustra
I don't get the jokes on Gravity's Rainbow
I dont know how to write poetry
I've got a pretty decent idea for a book and my prose is really decent, I really think it could work, but I preffer reading
I haven't had sex in more than a year
I'm a brainlet, don't know any math

I'd do anything to go back in time to high school and tell myself to read. I went through a mentality where I thought reading was a waste of time because things like movies, television shows and music were better ways to tell a story or educate. For 4 precious years of my life, I didn't touch a single book. What I wouldn't give to get those 4 years back...

holy fuck I have been trying, I swear to you Veeky Forums, I have been trying HARD but I cannot read from eletronic devices. Tried my first pynchon, V., reading it on my computer/cellphone, have read about 30% of it but over 2 fucking months and I actually enjoyed reading it, it never took me so long to read something, holy shit its horrible. I tried going to the public library but they don't have it there, also its not viable to buy it...just tell me I can jump straight into gravity's rainbow (have started with the greeks, read most joyce, etc), which I have the actual physical book and that it is going to be ok, please

V is fun but basic shit compared to GR which is a masterwork

jump in

Give us an example, user. Is Finnegan's wake among them?

i'll read half a book and give up, no shame

i won't say that i read it but i probably won't try again

you can get e readers super cheap now

Somebody recommended Nietzsche to me claiming he refuted Schopenhauerian pessimism, but I still find Schopenhauer more convincing of the two.

I'm writing an Whitmanesque 1000+ page book of poetry/prose/pretty much every other written form and the project and collage has gotten so bad that all I'm ever writing abd reading for is this book. Its never going to see the light of day and even if it does it'll be torn to shreds for being incomprehensible and bloated and pretentious beyond measure, not to mention blatant plagiarism of all types of sources. I've been working on it since I was 15 and really in to poetry and avant garde lit and I really thought I could make something with it, but now I know any hope of a lifetime's masterwork is hopeless, even posthumously.

This will probably go in to it too, since this fucking book has become my everything. Living is hell to me now.

You have a source of meaning. That's more than a lot of people can say.

Your diary desu

Finnegan's Wake is gibberish for people who want to look smart. never read it

Keep going user. Remember most of the artistry of writing goes into the editing. You can still salvage your masterpiece.

A lot of people read Ulysses to look smart
I don't think anyone would be able to make it through the Wake of their only motivation was looking smart

Keep going, Examine it, find seeds, and allow them to germinate. There will be jewels amongst the shit.

^idiot

Honestly, honestly, tee bee aitch, write a book about the struggles of you writing your book

I like Pynchon's prose more than I like Joyce's, even though I think Joyce is a genius. There's just something about Pynchon's rhythm that seems to flow with my internal thought pattern better than any other writer.

I also think George Saunders is terribly overrated and gimmicky.

I'm gay

I never read the Greeks, and don't plan on reading them anytime soon except for the Iliad

I like technical history novels

I won't end up reading most of the meme Veeky Forums because the shit you guys often spew out is 1,000+ pages, and I've got several books that size that need reading

I don't read fiction, unless it's cerebral fiction, or it changes one's life, Ie Dostoyevsky

I write book reviews on KikebookAnd I like it

I don't like poetry

studying theology is superior to philosophy

Best Philosopher is Diogenes

Hitchhiker's Guide is a shit series that doesn't have humor

I read shit I'm interested in. If that never includes shakespeare then fuck it.

My dad is one of the major American writers

And he's not Pynchon

Take a break, dude

No one is expecting you to be a god, they just want to see you grow

I can't read more than two pages without autistically spacing out and returning to my mind

Go away Henry

SORT

how old are you? if it's shit and you know it's shit and you're under 50 just ditch it and write something good you faggot. don't fall for that sunk cost bullshit.

YOURSELF

I love Bukowski's work.

OUT

Hamlet is overrated garbage.

I don't like reading fiction.

I've been having problems with electronic devices too. It's the light that kills me. I prefer print, but obviously thats more expensive.

didn't think it was possible to this big of a pseud desu

Get f.lux or redshift and watch your problems melt away.
t. ed/g/elord

Just because he disagrees with you?

Fitzgerald was mediocre.
I forgot most about Nietzsche and I still bring him up in every debate to appear smart.

it's really not, unless you're only pirating books. you can get used books for like $3

What else do you wish you'd have done in high school user?

For my friend

You really ought to find a therapist as soon as you can. Shell out for a psychiatrist, not an essay writer.

>talks in third person
>transparent samefagging

Your library system can get the book shipped to your library.

I like fiction

Find someone to help you. Write letters to delineate your thoughts. If the work is expansive, a publisher may be interested enough to tell you what they think is wrong with it.

Actually laughed at that, you seem to have a fun life, keep the struggle it's interesting, as the other user said you could write about writing

Exactly my thought

Two pages is impressive, I can do 4 lines

I always smile at those separated post memes
kms

I often reverse search images to find an author, read the description on wiki and discuss it here as though I read it

Pls no ban

I want to eat Joyce's ass while DFW watches

I don't like reading plays. I'd leather watch them with the play in hand to follow it like subtitles.

No wonder he hung himself

I don't actually read books. I just pretend I have. I've pretended to read about ~200 novels.

hanged

didnt like middlemarch at all

When I was 12 there was a pair of fanfics I read devotedly, a 200k word Zelda epic and it's 500k word sequel, and I still read them pretty much every year to this day.

Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite writers, and I've read almost everything he ever wrote.

I agree with you

I stopped halfway through Karamazov Brothers because it was boring asf and I'm already 24 and I think I'm past the target audience for that book

I'm terrible at ascertaining subtext. I had to Sparknotes Cat's Cradle.

I strictly read philosophy now because it's more straightforward and it feels like I'm using my time more productively. Doubt I can get much better at analyzing novels anyway.

Acceptable if you're a teenager, which I assume you are.

your exasperation with cat's cradle is funny to me, it's almost endearing. like I imagine you furrowing yoru brow, frowning, and thinking about what ice nine symbolizes

That's basically what happens. No good at subtext. Dunno if it's a function of me having only read seriously for a year or so or what but I figure by this time I'd be able to pick up on it more, so I kind of threw in the towel a couple of months ago.

I read ComicsNix and he has had a profound influence on my own writing style.

I play vidya, watch anime, and I like Bukowski.

I read "The Enemy Beneath" and thought it was worthy of a sequel...

I pride myself on not reading shit books people love but I read Catcher in the Rye.

Haven't seen that before

I CANT READ

You don't have to read it to have that opinion honestly. I read the first 5 pages and thought the same thing

I jacked off to a picture of Novalis a couple times

I understand the genius behind books however I almost never appreciate it and I often have to read an analysis to get any meaning below the surface

I have read books in thousands but I have nothing to say about them. Not really. Not one original thought in my brain in nearly 30 years.

underrated

WHAT

I like reading gay Sherlock fanfiction

Read a little for fun user and make a habit of excersizing in the morning

Whenever a book is mentioned in a book I'm reading I always stop reading that book for a time in order to read the book that was mentioned. This leads me down rabbit holes and I rarely end up finishing books because of this.

I think reading philosophy undermines the entire concept of philosophy.

I read for plot.

I enjoy genre fiction.

I tried reading Gravity's Rainbow and I didn't understand fucking anything. The metal spires in the beginning? I thought it was the ruins of an old train station. Turns out it's about a bed. So...

wow

Do you also listen to metal music and play video games?

One Piece is one of the best works I've ever read. The world building is phenomenal.

I genuinely believe anyone who enjoys the works of certain types of authors, for example Toni Morrison, should be killed. Not in the sense that someone should go and kill them, but that if they died it'd be a good thing, for everyone, 'them' included.

wow

You could have just said that you don't read

pre time skip, I agree with you. Norland's story is fucking tragic if you think about it.

Pity post time skip is mediocre.

Pathetic

I don't really read, I just accidentally clicked on this board and decided to stay for a moment because lately I've found interest in antiquarian items.

I listen to Drake, Gucci Mane, Trey Songz, smoke copious amounts of weed, get beyond hammered at bars and clubs, blow coke, take LSD and fuck sluts on the weekends. I probably have 5+ different drugs in my system from this weekend alone right now.

I apologize in advance.

I think books for the purpose of storytelling will always be out shined by a well produced TV series. The whole books > movies thing is only true because of the movie format itself, under 3 hour movies contained in a movie theater. But a TV show can run as long as it wants/needs to.

In that sense, the story written in a book can be 100% faithfully translated to video if truly understood by the makers of it. So I believe video/audio is a straight up upgrade to simply text, it's just a matter of doing it right.

>art medium > art medium

Burn out is the worse, but you'll eventually bound back. WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT.

They're just suited for different things. You're never going to capture the essence of the Sound and the Fury, the true essence of what Faulkner was really going for, in a TV series.

I once posted in a "Literary confessions" thread just to say I posted in a "Literary confessions" thread. I tried not to, but I wasn't on time.

no
I guess I should say I enjoy genre fiction in addition to other books

I've never even been to /b/. Not even sure what you mean. You mean it's a retarded thing to say "books > movies"? I just meant it's a common thought out there that "the book is always better than the movie" and I'm trying to say that's mostly due to the length limitation of mainstream movies themselves.

I've found myself not having a very good time with most works of fiction and only enjoy nonfiction books. Maybe it's just me, but feels like books are for information and knowledge, where if I wanted entertainment I would go for pretty much anything else. I'm not trying to attack books or something here, or say they are a "thing of the past". Is there a fiction book that simply cannot be translated into audio/video format properly, you think?

I really believe just due to the nature of them being stories with descriptions of their environments plus subtext means they could be 100% translated into a movie/tv show format with no loss, if done correctly. Where most nonfiction, basically books that deal more with ideas and thoughts couldn't become an actual narrative in video format without creating a story to embed the information in.