Are these a meme?

Are these a meme?

They seem great for making Steak, but what other uses does it have?

I dont have a sous vide thing.
How does this work?

>tiny heating element in one end of the water pot
>expect it to heat the water evenly

I'm no scientist, so I don't know how it works but you jusrt described what it does.

Heat water evenly.

Couldn't you do the same thing in a programmable tea kettle?

Scraping your social media and adding much-needed micro-transactions to your cooking experience
>Your account is running low on SousCredits. To continue cooking, like us on Facebook or purchase more SousCredits ($1 for a 1-day unlimited cooking experience, $20 for a month, and only $59 for a full 12-month Anova™ Lifestyle Pass)

It has a water pump to circulate as well

It's good stuff like collagen-filled meat that you want to slow cook at a precise temperature for like 24 hours. Much more accurate than a slow cooker for that purpose, and easier than tending to a braise.

Seems like kind of a hassle to use it for lean meats.

It's best application is for lean stuff that's easily overcooked--chicken breast, pork tenderloin, fish, shellfish. It's also good for traditional braising, precisely cooking eggs, and then random shit like yogurt/ice cream custard/weed butter.

Steak is the thing that "looks" the sexiest but it's not all that much better than the regular cooking method.

>Pay $400 for a device to squeeze juice out of a juice pouch for you, and call it a "juicer" but it only works on special proprietary "juice packets" and it automatically posts on social media when you drink a glass.

Is this what the commiefags mean by late-stage capitalism?

shut up, this is revolutionary!

Commiefags only use the phrase "late-stage capitalism" as wishful thinking.

Look up what kitchens are using it for. I'm running a special with sous vide beef tongue wrapped in konbu and dashi, I mean not everyone has the equipment or produce for that, but there's still neat stuff you can do with it. Slow poached eggs are my favorite.

>Tfw commiefags are the only people willing to buy the juicero

kek, that memeshaker is amazing. It makes me smirk when I think about all the "tech savant" types being bitched at by their shiny new AI saltshaker waifu because their sodium intake increased that day.

I mean, they're a meme, but they're also very useful. Get a cooler and drill a hole through it and stick this in'er

Looks like you could shove up your ass for a cheeky prostate wank

Fun tool for a home cook with some disposable income. Don't forget to buy a vacuum sealing rig. Buying a sous vide rig won't automatically make you an amazing cook, as some techfags like to pitch it (cough, Gaben), but it will give you some possibilities that you didn't have before. I think that this post summarizes the food well

steak is actually the worst thing to use sous vide for.

you can make a fucking good steak a lot faster by just learning how to cook it. the whole fetish for edge to edge pinkness is a meme, it doesn't make the steak significantly better, it's just aesthetic. a steak is delicious if it has a hard sear and a decent band of rare-medium rare in the centre. you can do that traditionally, and in fact with the thin steaks that most home cooks use you probably run a greater risk of overcooking the steak during the post-sear than with a traditional method, not least because the surface doesn't dry out in the bag.

sous vide is great for thick cuts. you can do stuff with it you simply cannot replicate through other methods - such as bringing rib or shoulder meat to medium rare while still breaking down the tough tissue, which is amazing because those cuts are extremely flavourful and the traditional braising methods reduce it.

i love cooking fish sous vide, and i genuinely think it's the best possible way of cooking squid or octopus.

it's a great tool for a home cook. if you wanna do a big dinner party or whatever and you're planning on serving baked stuff, your oven is gonna be full, and even if it isn't full you might not be able to time things efficiently because you don't want to cook your meat at the same temperature as the scalloped potatoes or whatever. with sous vide you can have your meat essentially taken care of at the start of the meal and not have to worry about it until the time comes to sear it off. i think that's the biggest single endorsement i can give the method - rather than any 'killer app' manner of preparation or whatever, it's just a really useful tool for managing a busy kitchen.

>Don't forget to buy a vacuum sealing rig

t. vacuum sealer merchant

just learn how to do the water submersion seal method with a food-grade ziploc bag and you'll never spedn a cent on overpriced HDPE vacuum sealer bags

Since the thread so far has no actual responses I will give a real one.

I own said unit and use it to make side dishes ahead of time. I will cut up a few potatoes and throw them in a bag with a tablespoon of butter and whatever seasonings I might fancy at the time, salt and pepper by themselves or with dill, or smoked paprika. You poach them in the butter and their own moisture in an hour at 190f.

You can do the same thing with carrots or parsnips, I throw a teaspoon of sugar in with them and sometimes a bit of honey. When they come out of the bag I finish them in a frying pan and end up with glazed root vegetables.

I will make several of these types of bags and cook them all in one go and keep them in the fridge as they keep for awhile. When I use them it's just a matter of reheating them in a pot of near boiling water for a side that's already perfectly cooked.

I sous vide freshly made sausages as well. You can change the texture and juiciness of the sausage just by controlling the temp. I like mine the consistency of veal so I cook them at 140f for an hour. Once they are out it's a quick fry in a cast iron with a bit of butter.

It fills some niche roles in the kitchen and it's been worth the investment.

>steak is actually the worst thing to use sous vide for.

You're a fucking idiot.

Everything else you wrote is pretty much on, but saying SV is not good for steak is Down Syndrome-level babble.

i like it because foods come out literally perfect
baked potato? soft yet firm the whole way through, no hard "foot" on the bottom, doesnt crumble of mush, tender and moist yet absorbs butter/sour cream instead of just sitting on top

it also makes dinner boring because everything is perfect

>you're an idiot
>everything else you wrote is spot on

sous vide steaks are fine, but not as good as everyone thinks they are, and they don't justify the purchase.