Calculus Exam tomorrow

Howdy Veeky Forums, so I'm a first year engineering student about to take my calculus I exam tomorrow. I've studied really hard all year but my test grades have been for the most part- lackluster. I know all the material very well, but I psych myself out before my tests and get then when it comes time I become extremely disoriented and my mind scatters. I believe the term is I "blank". I feel as though a hole has opened in my stomach and my innards are being vacuumed out. I get very nervous and cannot focus let alone enough to solve some of the more complex problems. I always end up running out of time because I get fixated on problems I cannot solve, and because I can't solve them it upsets me, hindering my ability to take the test further. Just to paint a broader picture, I'm a person who tends to help others with Calculus and not likewise. But they all do well on tests. Any tips for me? My final is tomorrow morning and I can already feel anxiety.

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LHospitalsRule.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Im the same way pretty much. I still do fine on tests though
I think the key is to do enough problems until you dont have to think about how you would solve them anymore, you just think “go” and then start solving

good luck

Yeah I did that today and my brain's out of gas, it's 11:23 PM where I am and my exam is at 10AM. I still feel as though due to the issues I explained I might perform poorly

Thank you!

OP are you a girl?

Bump, I just need suggestions

No, I'm not

think about how things relate to eachother or something. i dont fucking know

>helps others while too nervous to ask for help themselves
>gets exam anxiety
>not good at math

are you sure though?

Positive, and I never said I was too shy to ask for help, I get help all the time but typically I help others simply because I know the material better than most of my peers. The test anxiety is what's killing me and as it may turn out- I might get kicked out of engineering because of it if I happen to fail this course so I really need tips.

what you should do to prepare yourself for tomorrow is 1) get adequate sleep. don't do some bullshit like an all nighter. 2) wake up early and go over your notes. drink a lot of coffee but not so much you'll need to leave the exam to piss. maybe get an espresso in the morning if possible. 3) review material you lack confidence on and material you did at the beginning of the semester. look up trig identities if you forgot them, you should have some idea of what you're strong on and what you're weak on. review problems you're weak on.

most importantly don't spend 30 minutes of exam time working a single problem out of 20. fucking skip it and come back to it.

Xanax

>Howdy Veeky Forums, so I'm a first year engineering student about to take my calculus I exam tomorrow.
Get out
>I've studied really hard all year but my test grades have been for the most part- lackluster.
That's because you're an engineer
>I know all the material very well, but I psych myself out before my tests and get then when it comes time I become extremely disoriented and my mind scatters. I believe the term is I "blank".
That's because you're a brainlet too
>I feel as though a hole has opened in my stomach and my innards are being vacuumed out. I get very nervous and cannot focus let alone enough to solve some of the more complex problems. I always end up running out of time because I get fixated on problems I cannot solve, and because I can't solve them it upsets me, hindering my ability to take the test further.
It's called autism
>Any tips for me?
Nope. You're gonna fail

Thank you for your legitimate advice, I'll do all those things tomorrow morning.
And as for you, why are you so defensive about me posting here? Seems like you're projecting

Projecting doesn't mean what you think it means, you autistic undergrad brainlet engineer faggot

Oh, please inform me what it means then, go ahead! I feel like you may know even down to the phoenetics since you're acting like a spastic aspie who's flipping shit because someone he considers "below" him is popping his intellectual safe-space bubble, thereunto trivializing the only things that he believes his value as a person derives from. Sad life isn't it?

Seriously, score some xanax.

it doesn't fuck with your cognition much but you do feel totally relaxed and collected.

Yeah, I've considered it. I'm just always paranoid about anything drug related

You're the one literally doing engineering and who can't pass calc I. You're the biggest meme on Veeky Forums. It's over. You already lost.

>it doesn't fuck with your cognition
This is what degenerate druggie faggots actually believe

I don't believe there was ever a competition to be won or lost, so no I haven't lost anything. But I think you've lost just a tad bit more of your sanity. So you can leave now, and feel free to look back on this later if you ever want to reevaluate your attitude (which I highly suggest you do). I simply asked for advice and you came in this thread just to try and lower me to make yourself feel superior. I wonder if you'll ever be able to integrate back into society as a normal human being with normal human reactions and behaviors. Special case, aren't you?

STOP ARGUING WITH THE TROLL IN THIS THREAD AND GO STUDY THE CHAIN RULE OR SOME SHIT DUDE WTF R U DOIN

A lot of words for a brainlet engineer. A thread with actual intelligent discussion about mathematics (aka a real and actually challenging field) died for this, so thanks

Don't listen to the retard, it does fuck with your cognition. For exams, take beta-blockers. They literally block the beta out of you.

First year computer engineer here, have my calc 1 exam as well.

Get a good nights sleep and maybe some black coffee in the morning or some other caffeinated product to make sure you are awake.

Most of the exam should be pretty straight forward (that is if you have practiced integrals and some of the tricks you can do). For related rates and optimization there is not they can do, make sure you have done the suggested exercises by your prof.

Its just a calc exam, relax. if you get stuck, ask yourself "am i having fun yet?"... that made me laugh once when I had a test that seemed impossible. Good luck user

Honestly OP anxiety's effect on test scores has been studied and it's not that large of a correlation that it can make an ace student fail. You're probably just not as intelligent as you think.

Thank you both for the advice, I will be drinking lots of coffee. I think I may try some humor in my head as well to calm myself, I appreciate the suggestion.
Hahaha yeah I know I'm no genius , but the anxiety is unpleasant and disrupts my focus a bit

Just relax man. Exams are so much easier when you relax. Once you've put the time in and studied and learned the material, have confidence in your knowledge and just chill.

About 30 minutes to an hour before the exam dont do any studying unless you totally have to, just relax.

Good luck buddeh.

Your way of writing is the most obnoxious and infuriating I've come upon so far. Congratulations you absolute fucking waste of space, you've managed to enrage me not by the content of your comment, which is just you being a little bitch boy about a subject you're too much of a brainlet to understand, but by its very form. Please fuck off.

Triggered, brainlet?

Lol no I just like fucking with you, it must suck to be a math major, either you have to much free time or you graduated and couldn't find a job cause your dumbass majored in math. Haha

>I will be drinking lots of coffee

This is an idiotic thing to do. It guarantees maximum stress.

The best way to get better at tests is to do practice tests in as realistic conditions as possible. It is that simple.

Pic refers when to start doing this.

>score some xanax.
>it doesn't fuck with your cognition

Enjoy your benzo-brain. Bad bad idea.

"A mind for numbers" is a great book for getting better at STEM subjects. Hundreds of good tips.

Why wouldn't you study right before the test?

Nice run-on sentence brainlet
>to much free time

>Thermo and E&M final Friday
I should honestly be more concerned, but really I feel comfortable with the content

Overloads your short-term memory causing long-term memory instability due to the hippocampus performing too much data retrieval and fragmenting the consolidated memories.

Literally in the same boat as you (mech eng) but my test was today, we can do this (or just take an online winter session calc 1 in one month). also please don't try xanax, it will fuck with your health, if anything try weed to cool down after the exam if you have no responsibilities.

Does anyone have any good sites or study habits that have helped you guys?

As you enter the room, immediately walk up to the first male examiner you spot. Get on your knees, unzip his pants and start sucking. He will realise that you are ready to be an engineer and hand you your diploma right there on the spot.

Good luck.

also, if you feel nervous and can't think, remember to breathe slowly and relax. feeling overwhelmed is what makes me blank, and breathing slowly and making sure i'm not tensed up (e.g. lower your shoulders) helps.

I will also be taking this same exam (CS major)
My grade now is a B-, if I get 76 on the final I'll keep it and dean's list in the bag
good luck lads

>B-
Extremely laughable

[math] \lim_{x\to \infty} (1-\cos x) ^{\frac{1}{x } [\math]

Please, how do I solve this kind of problem? It appears in a list about the L'Hospita's Rule.

good luck

[math] \lim_{x\to \infty} (1-\cos x) ^{\frac{1}{x } }[/math]
Sorry, here

>[math]\lim{x}\to{\infty}[/math]
>[math]\cos{x}[/math]
The fact that you see nothing wrong with this confirms you're a brainlet

God I fucking hate finalsfags so much

I'm not OP. My God I got it wrong again, it's[math] x \to 0^{-}[/math].

I currently have a 97/100 in precalc, how am I doing sci/ ?

[math] \lim_{x\to 0^{-}} (1-\cos x) ^{\frac{1}{x } }[/math]
My teacher couldn't answer this when asked, he does not put anything as complex in his test, but I'm really interested in its solution.

You want to know how to do l'hospital's rule?

The idea is that you're trying to take a limit that is somehow undefined

In this case you will have 0^(1/0) by trying to solve directly.

other indefinite forms would be like, inf-inf, inf^0, 0^0 etc.

so you take the derivative of each of the functions in this composed function (1-cos(x)) and (1/x), multiply them as normal, THEN you take the limit:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LHospitalsRule.aspx

no l'hopitals rule only works for the indeterminate forms inf/inf and 0/0 you have to manipulate the function into one of those forms first then take the derivative of the functions like this [math](d/dx(0))/(d/dx(0))[/math] or [math](d/dx(\infty))/(d/dx(\infty)) [/math]

Infinity

When I was in first year I failed my first calculus midterm, but I managed to complete the course with an 80 by studying really hard for the exam. I really just recommend going through the textbook and doing a lot of practice problems, I think that's the best way to prepare for first year calc.