>>9349602

It's just another proof we're entering the age of pseudo-intellectuals, nobody wants to do actually anything intelligent but they are fine with tricking people into thinking they are coming off as clever, see Tesla Motors, The Big Bang Theory, Geek chick fashion shit, etc, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BIj_bNd2oew
archive.is/scEVJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Adorno diagnoses capitalism disorder
>capitalism continues capitalisming
>occasionally some retard proles go WAIT.. THIS DIARRHEA NUTRIENT SLUDGE HAS THE SAME LUMPS AS THE LUMPS FROM LAST WEEK!
>capitalism: "Oh sorry dude haha. Here, have a free lump variant #6 on me ;-)"
>THANKS CAPITALISM, I CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU NOT TO ANNIHILATE HUMAN CULTURE

Or Endless Joke.

The eternal quip?

Interminable farce

Unending pun

Never ending knee slapper

Undiscernable Talent

Infinite Jest?

An eternity of your sex life

what's wrong with tesla?

Shit tanks tebehe good against infanntry and not much else. 4 RPG guys could take out a Tesla tank.

sorry i dont speak nerd

>*reads Adorno once*
>oh boy I can't wait to tell the other guys at high school what sheeple we are!

video games > tv shows

I second this unironically.

All of these "prestige" shows she discusses in this article are complete shit. I was going to send this article to all my friends who watch shit like GOT, True Detective, Westworld, etc. but she goes all soft at the end and talks about how she likes TV. Fuck TV.

What does Veeky Forums think about Young Pope?

Overrated but not as bad as Game of Thrones.

>television/miniseries format used for numerous arthouse projects over the years
>write an article about a bunch of HBOshit
it's really not surprising that people trash TV all the time

>Prestige nonfiction TV commentary à la John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and select Seth Meyers bits are allowed to be funny
>Prestige nonfiction ... John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and select Seth Meyers... allowed to be funny
>John Oliver funny

Western television is hilariously bad. Even the worst anime is better than this crap.

The crap is dry from the beginning, yet they milk it out for ten seasons running at what, 70+ hours, until the cow disintegrates.

Helllo reddit

This article is kind of moronic

But it is obvious that tv has changed over the years

Everything changes over time because the essence of time is change, this tells us nothing about the medium.

Yeah, anime would never create episode after episode of filler until manchild interest in the show finally collapses

Me as well

The golden age of TV was 98-05. It has long since been and gone. It will be some time until it really natures again. There has been one great show since then - Mad Men. Everything else has been trash. I've not yet watched The Young Pope, Westworld or Vinyl, but I don't particularly hold out much hope.

That's the worst of anime, and even that is at least entertaining.
So-called 'prestige' TV is not entertaining, it's a dull hour of non-entertainment. It's not thoughtful, depressive, uplifting, cathartic, or bear any other 'literary' quality.
It's just bad.

Please provide some example I am genuinely curious. I never watch TV shows because I assume they are all dogshit.

That's the worst of so-called 'prestige' TV, and even that is at least entertaining.
Anime is not entertaining, it's a dull hour of non-entertainment. It's not thoughtful, depressive, uplifting, cathartic, or bear any other 'literary' quality.
It's just bad.

See how you described virtually nothing about what you were trying to criticize? See how your criticisms were so vague and lazy they could apply to literally anything? If you want to effectively criticize something then you need to identify specific elements about your subject and explain in detail why they don't work

>golden age of tv was 98-05

but user, twin peaks came out in 1990

prestige tv assumes the mode of "high art" through contextual clues and subject matter but often falls short in its messaging. its purely aesthetic imo, serves the same purpose as a soap opera or detective show, but now the tastes of the majority have grown and people want things that feel more mature and refined. at the end of the day its a plot to get lost in for most people.

great (timeless) content is never the norm, always the exception, so why fret over the status quo?

Probably the two most entry level (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) arthouse TV miniseries are Dekalog and Scenes from a Marriage. Those are both masterpieces of drama and lend themselves well to the episodic format. If you're into film at all, Scenes from a Marriage was directed/written by Ingmar Bergman, who I'm sure you've seen some stuff from.

The pic accompanying my original post is from La Maison des Bois, which is a very naturalistic French World War I drama that is sadly underrated.

This is kind of leaving the realms of "arthouse" but Fishing with John is a god-tier comedy and essentially really bizarre proto-reality TV mixed with a nature documentary where the narrator purposely feeds you misinformation.

It wasn't very good, IMO. But it looks pretty (like House of Cards) so people think it's far better than it really is.

>tfw felt guilty for enjoying True Detective as much as I did, because I knew it was the type of fake deep style people who don't read books would gobble up

And it was.

>Dekalog
>Scenes from a Marriage
I have actually heard of these, but didn't realize they were tv series.

>Fishing with John
Fishing with John is amazing and I've seen every episode like 10 times.

>La Maison des Bois, which is a very naturalistic French World War I drama that is sadly underrated.
Cool I'll check it out. Thanks, user.

Thats like, idk, an entire essay.

I really enjoyed the Young Pope, it was aesthetically pleasing. The plot wasn't great and the acting talent was sporadic, but damn it was pretty.

Vinyl has been disappointing so far. The turn of rock and roll away from stadiums towards the drag of the Dolls and filth of Television and the CBGB scene is one of my favorite points of music history but that can't even sustain me.

Read Please Kill Me. Oral history of all the original players in punk rock. William S. Burroughs even gets a couple lines to trash people he couldn't care less about.

she's so hot that it's not even funny

Punk rock is so fucking lame.
Wasn't no wave a CBGB thing aswell, or am I remembering wrong?

tv is LITERALLY mind control

Hey, GOT is a top tier time waster. I just don't pretend that it's well written.

Walking Dead on the other hand is completely unwatchable.

That game was nice

the first season of true detective was an entertaining, well-made thriller with a talented cast of actors who don't usually do television work. nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I definitely recommend it for anyone that hasn't seen it. It was probably the most respectful pro-religious show I've ever seen on TV. None of that soppy "Touched by an Angel" shit either, but genuine Christian moments.

youtube.com/watch?v=BIj_bNd2oew

rub your shoes in lotion

Watch anime if you want to have fun.

diary des

every video game is the same shit. you're either killing things, collecting things, or maybe if you're lucky solving some puzzle.

>Anime is not entertaining, it's a dull hour of non-entertainment. It's not thoughtful, depressive, uplifting, cathartic, or bear any other 'literary' quality. It's just bad.

Yeah well most of it but not the quintesstial Veeky Forums animes like:

>Revolutionary Girl Utena
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
>The Tatami Galaxy

Hell, fucking FLCL is a good coming of age story. What's TV got? Mr Robot? An asinine reaction to OWS that romanticizes itself from start to finish and over-uses tropes of the crime genre while concerning itself with a plot about semi autonomous group of hackers trying to bring down corrupt elites. Nothing shit like Technolyze or Serial Experiments Lain(sp) didn't already aspire towards.

Face it. Western TV is shit because Western TV seeks to show off pretentious unimaginative ideas. It's banal politics at best - much like media and that's not a coincidence.

You're wrong but even if you're right then it's a fantastic way of holding people's attention. Much like thrillers are the best genre of Kino to keep viewers attention in order to reveal their bigger ideas.

Do you really think that Young Pope and House of Cards are the same level of "pretty"?

there is nothing wrong with capitalism. you will realize this when you grow up.

There's one sign; that the show stinks of money.

Tele to appeal to the upper class person looking for idealistic escapism in order to stimulate an economy. So what?

Advanced slavery is as good as capitalism and as soon as people realize that the sooner we can make the world for us and not them. They want you to differentiate yourselves by color, wealth, and nation, but we're all the majority 21st century slaves, make no mistake about it.

It's hilarious they've made you think you're a power when you're nothing but a slave. That's all slave.

PS I bet you burn ants with a magnifying glass.

Only so long as you recognize that capitalism is merely a tool.

I'm sure you would consider us much more free if the government would assign us our jobs for a set wage that we're not permitted to complain about.

Haha. Choose the lesser two evils when both are brothers against you.

Good one.

Consider that no ruler dies unless the state of the globe is against them, then ask if the state of the globe is for the slaves or the rulers. But you wouldn't because you're acting dumb.

You can have freedom or authoritarianism. You can't have a middle ground because large government is incompatible with freedom.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. What does the state of the globe mean?

Not when they're ruling over immoral people. And who makes the people immoral?

Are there any good fiction novels about a pope?

Consider that Assad, Putin, and Trump are on the same team, as rulers over slaves; what would you then dare say? Nothing at all I bet, slave.

This is a serious question: are you a schizophrenic? You sound like the of type person who thinks they're making profound points but you're really just talking nonsense.

nice spooks. call me when you've taken the red pill

Interesting but not an interestingly expected response.

But your heresy is noted and will be repaid.

Inasmuch as you turn against yourselves and against your brothers, I'll personally see you falter and fall

You think you're free but we're watching you every night. Remember this when you go to sleep.

>Only so long as you recognize that capitalism is merely a tool.
Not that user but this is a very unspooked reply.

Inferno has some of the popes Dante didn't like in Hell.

It is my job good fellow. What is yours but to death?

>literally praying to Mary
>Christian

>Being a Protestant in 2017

I pray to lots of different people. What's wrong with that?

Who prays to Mary? Literally self-induced heresy.

Pray to GOD.

The Young Pope sucks.

>believing in tools or capitalism
you think you're un-spooked but you're barely past the first level of spook/irony, son.

What does the word pray mean to you? I wonder if you've ever heard the expression "pray tell" which could mean a request for information. I'm literally praying to you right now by asking what the word pray means to you because the word pray literally means "to ask." Earlier I prayed to my mom to let me borrow her car.

For some reason protestants have a really hard time with this because they conflate prayer with worship. Prayer and worship are non synonyms even though they can be done at the same time.

>trotting fairly to the fire

onwards you go

I'm neither protestant nor Catholic but to pray is to be in meeting with God.

If you conflate asking your mother for her car with duty to eternal goodness, you are severely misled. I'm not surprised, nor am I bothered, for you will go where you go. Hell or not, I've not to look out for you. You've knowledge enough.

If you're going to make up your own definition for words you can't expect other people to know it and alter their language to accommodate you. To pray literally means 'to ask' and that's the sense that Catholics use it.

>he hasn't had his mystical experience yet

>directly linking to an article on a shitrag outlet

archive.is/scEVJ

t. has never played video games

As I said, you can go with the Catholics and pray from your mother for menial things; I let you, we let you, they let you pray in ignorant ways. It's easier to go one way than the other, because they desperately want to lead you one way.

Like darkness shows light, the selfish give way to God.

I bet that sounded really profound in your head.

God wishes us to ask Mary to help us connect with him. It's sometimes an easier way of approaching God than simply praying to him directly.

Why do Protestants/nondenominationalists always have to make things so hard? The statues, the icons, the intercessory prayers, they're all there, in part, to make it easier for us to commune with God, not harder. Protestants want Christianity to be like playing Ninja Gaiden on Hard Mode. While this can lead to some truly great Christians--Dietrich Bonhoeffer, for example--it also means there will be huge masses of dropouts and heretics-through-ignorance.

No; it was a simple refutation for you. As I say, you go away in ignorance as you want to; you're necessary as a shadow to the light.

There is no easier way than praying to God himself. Your problem is that you must humble yourself before praying to God. God would not ask you to pray to Mary.

Mary initiates the first of Christ's miracles, the turning of water to wine at Cana. She gave the servants the advice "Do whatever he tells you." That's how every Christian should live, but just like those servants, we sometimes need Mary to remind us.

In your logic the sinners initiate the existence of Christ's miracles, therefore they should be prayed to.

Obviously that is bad logic.

There is nothing to save your punishment from God. If Mary judged as well as God it would only be God punishing you. If Mary judge different from God she is not, so who are you to make the differentiation between the two?

To hear a corrupt word and say "That is from Mary" Is exactly where you are led and let to go astray, and so be it.

The saints and Mary are in Heaven precisely because they served God faithfully, and they still serve him today, by interceding with his permission and on his behalf. They act in accord with his will, as all good Christians should. They help us to be more like them.

That is heathenism. There is no partner or replacement to God. God is the sovereign ruler; flesh is always compromised where God is not, therefore God can only communicate by his devout.

If you pray to any other than God you're a peer of Satan and knowingly adding to the ills of the world.

So be it as it is, you're welcome to go astray for the price of a short life.

Peace be with you, user.

I can't believe there are people here who think that praying to Mary has any effect on the world, negative or positive

You misconstrue my words for your own benefit; those who worship anyone but God will be cast under. The plunder is good for everyone who doesn't worship partners for their own benefit. Those who are ill will fail children ten-fold.

Those who pray to Mary feel nothing. Those who pray to God will come to know everything.