I saw the related gif on /wsg/ and it made me wonder

I saw the related gif on /wsg/ and it made me wonder.
What kind of math do you need to do to determine how fast the blade needs to rotate around its axis to cut a certain length of pasta?

I'm a mathlet but supposedly you guys know your shit to some degree so it would be cool to know an answer.

/diy/ here. You just wing it in a CAD program. It doesn't take long. You don't need to do your own math.

Well if you model the blade as line and the noodles as points you could get a pretty good estimate with just basic algebra given the noodle extrusion rate.

algebra

Basic algebra and dimensional analysis

(The desired length of pasta) / (The speed of pasta coming out) = Time needed for 1 pasta to pass through

(1 revolution of the knife) / (Time for 1 pasta to pass through) = rotational speed of knife

So:
>5cm/1sec=5sec
>1sec/5sec=0.2rps
That seems awfully fast.

If you can't even figure that out, why are you posting on /sci? It's an idiot-tier question. Sorry to be elitist (actually I'm not sorry at all), but if you don't have, or aren't working on, a science degree, you should definitely refrain from posting. This is /sci not /popsci and definitely not /kidsci or even /youngadultsci. (There, that should take care of the kiddies. Now how the fuck do we chase off the shills?)

>speed of pasta coming out
>1second

time isnt speed

>What kind of math do you need to do to determine how fast the blade needs to rotate around its axis to cut a certain length of pasta?
Fiddling with it until it comes out right.

Of all the engineering techniques, this is the most important and productive one. If you ever wonder where all the money goes that's spent on research and development and tooling, it's not doing fancy math and computer models and statistical analysis, it's paying all the people to fiddle with things until they come out right, after all they tried all the stuff that came out of fancy math and computer models and statistical analysis and it didn't work.

Tangental speed of the blade or angular speed ?

LLOLLLLLLL

The trick here is to synchronize the pastas in such a manner that each one reaches the right length before the blade reaches it. The blade speed is arbitrary to an extent.

you what? Do you even units?

>speed
5cm / 1 sec is literally 5 cm/sec.
>time
5 cm / (5 cm / sec) = 1 sec.
>angular speed
1 revolution / 1 sec is 1 rps.

Its pretty basic I think. Unless I'm wrong

Shit. This would be useful only if the 3 batter blasters where synced up.

Why is the pasta coiling itself in the gif? Does it just spontaneously do that, or is there some camera fuckery?

I'm guessing the edges of the hole it goes through are slanted

Maybe not, maybe it's just curved shape of the hole and then there's some kind of tension that makes it coil

Could also be related to the extrusion snail turning the dough.

>but if you don't have, or aren't working on, a science degree, you should definitely refrain from posting.
laff at this undergrad

The inside is tapered causing it to want to curve in

It's just sticking to the spinny bit. You can see it's rotating at the same rate as the spinny bit, just in the opposite direction

People ITT are retarded. Set blade speed to 1 revolution per second. Extrude pasta at (insert desired pasta length here) per second. You literally dont even need to do math.

Occams razor is insanely prevalent in an industrial setting. Its just slanted extrusion holes.

That's changing the length of the pasta, not the speed of the blade. OP specifically asked for the opposite you moran.

Its how mant time it rotates likely.

The length of pasta becomes 1\sqrt2 in rotations poroportional to the extension.

It coils it as well as extrudes

Well. He wanted a different explanation.

Why would you make it more complicated than it needs to be? Change the extrusion rate to get the length of pasta you want. If your jimmies are rustling about it, just extrude the pasta at 1 inch per second, and rotate the blade however many revolutions per second as the reciprocal of the desired pasta length. You want 2 inch pasta? 1/2 revolutions per second. Its still barely any math, and a much simpler solution than all the retarded amounts of algebra going on in this thread. Being smart is equal parts knowing complex problem solving skills, and also knowing when to use them. This is a simple problem with a simple solution; if it took you any amount of math to solve it you are just a trained monkey with no critical thinking skills.

This.

Because you would want the maximum extrusion rate to maximize profit. These types of problems are usually done in calc 1 but like others have said it’s mostly algebra. ‘’Related Rates’’. They call it.

Buys a pasta machine, runs at sub optimal rate, calls everyone else monkeys, goes out of business

Confidence derived from arrogance is fleeting at best

>‘’
Were you unable to use a simple quotation mark " or any of it's variants?

How retarded can you be? Want more pasta? Speed everything up by a factor of 10. Still just simple arithmetic, no algebra needed. The worst part is you thought you were being smart.

You set it to tree fiddy and then adjust until the length is just about right. There's no need to involve any math and it won't help much you since the extrusion speed varies slightly all the time depending on many things you can't keep track of in real time anyways.

>Perfect CNC cut pasta
JUST

>deploying industrial machine tools
>just winging it with quality control

Trial and error, if the macoroni is too short, cut slower, nuff said.

Literally baby tier mechanics. The two or three first chapters of any introductory mechanics textbook will cover this.