Moon

If the earth is casting a shadow on the moon by blocking the sun's light, then how can the moon have a shadow in the day time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h--wIXKIoWw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Sizes_and_Distances_(Aristarchus)
celestia.space/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Same way part of earth has night time when the sun is up where you are - the other part of it is not facing the sun.

Earth only casts shadows on the moon during lunar eclipses. Phases/shadows of the moon have to do with how much we can see of the moon vs how much is currently lit by the sun

Isn't the sun far behind the moon during the day? How can it illuminate the front of the moon?

Because the shadow of the moon cancels out the shadow of the earth. The two shadows cannot overlap due to the quantum nature of light.

Where is the moon getting its shadow if it's not being cast by the earth?

The absolute state of Veeky Forums

Where's your answer?

The phases of the moon are not caused by Earth's torus-shaped shadow.

Just get a lamp and a couple of tennis balls its self explanatory.

This thread.

If the moon is not shining on its own and instead is reflecting the sunlight why isn't it as hot during the night as it is during the day? The moon is exactly as big as the sun so they should shine with the same intensity.

It depends on where the moon is relative to the earth and sun. If it's between the sun and earth, it will cast a shadow on the earth. If earth is between the moon and sun, it will cast a shadow on the moon. No shadow is cast if the moon is flanking the earth.

It's far behind but not lined up perfectly. It all depends where the moon is in the sky relative to earth. When it's lined up with the sun, we only see the dark side of the moon, but when it's somewhere else, the sun lights up both and we can still see the moon even during the morning.

Can you show how the sun creates a crescent moon at night?

Not very scientific.

Moon light is actually cold - if you measure the temperature of moon light and then measure the shade, the moon light will be colder.

>If it's between the sun and earth, it will cast a shadow on the earth.

How?

>this thread

>Moon light is actually cold - if you measure the temperature of moon light and then measure the shade, the moon light will be colder.
>Not very scientific.

You fucked up the day/night of the earth.

How is it able to light up the whole moon while it's also daytime?

I measured this myself, you can too.

(OP)
Look at the picture.
The Sun is far to the right so the left sides of both Moon (small circle) and Earth (large circle) are in shadow.
Observer standing where shown sees slightly less than half the Moon illuminated.

You are either a brainlet or a troll. Most likely the latter.

How do you explain a full moon during daytime?

OP, im sure youre a troll, but in case you are simply terminally stupid, the moon would be like in but the moon being further to the left. Just look up a moon animation if youre still in 2nd grade

Like so.
You are in daylight.
So is most of the surface of the Moon visible to you. (green line)
Diagram not to scale. Earth-Moon distance about 30 Earth diameters.

So the moon would look different to someone here?

Yes. The person on the dark side of the earth would not see a full moon. Why are you retarded?

Yes. The Moon would be less "full".
But it wouldn't look THAT much different. As I said, the Moon is 30 Earth diameters away. Redraw the picture at the correct scale and you'll see.
The shift in the shadow line would be less than 2 degrees, AT MOST.
For the situation you drew, it'd be more like 1 degree.

The ancient Greeks, having computed the size of the Earth and the distance to the Moon by pure geometry, attempted to figure the distance to the Sun by drawing Earth-Sun-Moon triangles and measuring shadows. They severely underestimated the distance to the Sun because it's difficult to judge very small angles without a telescope to enlarge them. But their basic idea was correct.

Is this video to scale? Doesn't look possible in this model: youtube.com/watch?v=h--wIXKIoWw

Also, measuring shadows doesn't prove anything concrete about the size and distance of something at all.

I zipped through the video quickly.
Definitely NOT to scale. Draw it yourself even if you have to tape several sheets of paper together.

This picture is left over from an astronomy lecture I gave. It's not to scale either.
You wait until the Moon is EXACTLY half-illuminated and then measure the angle between the Sun and the Moon.
If the Sun was infinitely far away, you'd measure a right-angle,
If it's closer than infinity, you measure something less than 90 degrees. This gives you the RELATIVE distances to the Sun and the Moon.
The trouble is, the Moon is cratered and irregular and it's difficult to judge when EXACTLY half is lit and half is dark. So the Greeks underestimated the distance to the Sun.
If you want to know how the Greeks measured the size of the Earth, look up Eratosthenes.To see how the Greeks went further, read
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Sizes_and_Distances_(Aristarchus)

The earth wouldn't be fully illuminated at that angle would it?

It seems impossible to properly represent this model in 2D, needs to be 3D.

>If the earth is casting a shadow on the moon

Guess it fucking isn't then

I agree it isn't, but neither is the sun.

There!
Does THAT make you happy?
Doesn't change the point I was trying to make.

Still very difficult to visualize in 3D.

Is there any video footage of a full moon orbit of the earth from space?

I'd have to hunt for one. And I'm not willing to spend the time.
But go to celestia.space/
and download Celestia. It's free, easy to use, and you can create your own photo-realistic animations with the "camera" positioned anywhere you like.

That's not the moon it's Nibiru

sun shines on part of moon
lit (famsquadblessedgoals) part of moon is visible
Bob's your mother

>I'd have to hunt for one. And I'm not willing to spend the time.

I can't find one, surely that'd have been filmed by now?

>and download Celestia. It's free, easy to use, and you can create your own photo-realistic animations with the "camera" positioned anywhere you like.

I can't get a full moon showing for the daytime earth.

Not easy to get a good shot. Zoom back far enough to get both Earth and Moon in a single image and the worlds are just hard-to-see dots.

Think of it this way. There will inevitably come a time when the side of the Moon facing Earth is, say, 95 percent illuminated. That means that 95 percent of the side of the Earth facing the Moon (i.e. the Moon is above the horizon) is in night. Which means that 5 percent of the side of Earth facing the Moon is still in daylight. In those places, the Sun will be quite low but it'll still be bright enough to turn the sky blue and wash out the stars.

The alternative would be a photo taken from the Moon near local Noon, when the Sun was almost as high as it was going to get. The Earth would be mostly dark and you'd see the lights of cities in the blackness. But the rim of the Earth would be in day. If you can see those places, people there would be able to see you.
Unfortunately, all the Apollo missions landed when the Sun was low in the Lunar sky. They wanted long shadows so dangerous irregularities in the terrain would be easy to sport and avoid.

>Still very difficult to visualize in 3D.
4u

Stop arguing with the retard and let the tread die like it should. At this point he is either a Flathead, troll or just too damn stupid to get anywhere

But mooooom!!! I'm boooooreeeeeeed!!!!!

itself

>The moon is exactly as big as the sun so they should shine with the same intensity.

>Moon light is actually cold

this is some next level trolling

The Sun wouldn't cast a shadow, now, would it? It casts light.

>this is some next level trolling

Yeah - flat Earth got too stupid, so this is the next best thing.

>5 percent of the side of Earth facing the Moon is still in daylight

And which part of the earth will this be?

>If the earth is casting a shadow on the moon by blocking the sun's light

That only happens during an eclipse. The shadowed part is experiencing lunar night.

You're either a troll or serious.

If you're a troll this is weak bait.

If you're serious and cannot deduce the correct answer simply by sitting down and thinking about it for a couple seconds you should seriously consider killing yourself and ending this pathetic excuse of a life.

You ever notice how you mainly see it in the morning? There's a hint at the reason.