Genre fiction is garbage and no better than video games, comics or movies

Genre fiction is garbage and no better than video games, comics or movies.
Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

slantmagazine.com/features/article/interview-olivier-assayas-on-personal-shopper-and-working-with-kristen-stewart
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Prove me wrong.
I just did.

Anything that's not shit is by definition not genre fiction.

>implying that improbable crime stories and proto-mumblecore tv-series from the 1800s are good

The difference isn't as clear-cut as it might seem. Genre fiction does tend to be overly commercialized garbage that uses formulaic writing and a huge set of gimmickry and unoriginal plot lines with little attention to themes, character development, etc.

But literary fiction often takes itself too seriously to be properly appreciated. This is especially true for modern literary fiction. It's too self-conscious of itself and that it's being read as literary fiction that it overwhelms the reader with things to make the already literary work even more literary. It's exhausting. A story should be enjoyed, not just have the correct facts or lessons or something.

The right way to go about it is to read old literary fiction (anything before 1970) and to read upper-level genre fiction,which has literary qualities to it (LeGuin, Asimov, Moorcock, Herbert, etc.)

If they're shit, then he didn't imply that at all.

>Asimov
>literary qualities
Which would those be?

>implying vidya is bad

Genre fiction is significantly worse than video games. Video games require active participation. Precision, timing, reflexes, critical thinking, situational awareness, and so on are all things potentially required to enjoy a video game.

Genre fiction just requires you to read words and understand what they mean, often going out of their way to not even make the language challenging. Comics have visual art that go with them and movies can be thoroughly dissected to understand the potential subtlety and nuance that can make them great. Genre fiction not as much.

I guess the point is genre fiction is pretty low brow if nothing else.

>unironically defending comics and vidya
Unless you're underage you should strongly consider suicide.

Not an argument.

>judging quality by how difficult something is to understand
The mark of a pseud.

As expected from someone with such opinions. Now fuck off my board to your containment shithole.

>judging quality by how difficult something is to understand
Where did I do that?

How ironic, posting memes is also not an argument.

KYS yourself my dude...

Not an argument.

>le ebin trolling xDxD
Try killing yourself.

>movies
>OP hasn't watched a single non-American film

Movies have been respected as an art form for some time now.

>comics
>OP has only read superheroes, if OP has even read comics at all

Academia masturbates to Watchmen too much, but there's quite a bit of comics out there that aren't about superheroes. "Artistic" comic books aren't just limited to edgy deconstructions of superheroes. While they're not as highly regarded as films at this point, they are heading in that direction.

I submit Raymond Chandler as an argument. Sometimes it behoves one just take a break. There's adequate genre stuff out there- Elroy, Leguin, Heinlein, PK Dick, others.

>I'm being a pretentious cocksucker and you can't do NUFFIN bout it!
The woe is me

>not even make the language challenging.
Why is there this notion that good prose has to be challenging? I dont mind something that forces me to work a bit, but just because something isnt challeging to read doesnt mean it cant be good

A significant portion of literary fiction is exactly as shitty as most genre fiction. It just has a better chance of not being total garbage.

>your books suck because they don't make you feel bad or think!
I read fantasy because it generally has happy undertones/an epic feel. Excuse me for not reading things I don't like.

King writes better than you.

>comparing different media
>caring about what others think

I agree with the Molyneux fags.

There was a time when films weren't considered art. Any literature enthusiast who denies comics can be art now is just a fucking snob, as anyone whose read Maus or Watchmen will tell you. The discussion of 'if video games are already art' can be a BIT more disputed but you just come across as an old elitist snob who shakes his fist at anything new when you say both comics and video games can't be art.

Protip: Read some of Osamu Tezukas works. There's more literary value in Message to Adolf or Princess Knight than 80% of literature

I despise genre fiction, video games, comics, hollywood movies and non-classical music with a passion. All these things are for dilettantes, and if you don't see it you are among them.

There are some artistic films, but otherwise you're right

Orthodox sacred music > classical

Are you that guy from the Ladder thread?

So, if Shakespeare came back to life and participated in creation of a videogame, would it still be shit? If Joyce wrote a movie screenplay? If van Gogh drew a comic?
Who are you trying to impress by being a closeminded chucklefuck?

None of these people would ever touch such a garbage medium. And yes, if these people made a choice to pursue exotic dancing instead of creating art I would not be interested in them.
I'm closeminded because I prefer art to entertainment? laughable

>So, if Shakespeare came back to life and participated in creation of a videogame, would it still be shit?
Yes
>If Joyce wrote a movie screenplay?

Quite possibly

>If van Gogh drew a comic?
Call me back when comic art entails labor and precision on par with a masterpiece painting

is this post-bait

all good bait has a grain of truth in it

why do you even bother user? VR is upon us, and soon all other forms of entertainment will be replaced by catgirl simulations

These aren't real are they? Nobody actually believes this, right?

Looks like you haven't met many university professors. Yes, there are people who dislike popular culture and your lack of comprehension only shows your ignorance.

I do think this. I like to read the classics. Now, when it comes to spend some time with simpler entertainments, i'd rather play videogames than reading genre fiction.

Pic related is what i'm playing right now

Just read this interview, which makes a good case for genre fiction

>Personal Shopper has little “pockets” of genre filmmaking, toying with various classic thriller situations, before ultimately going in other directions.
>Yeah. To me, genre is a syntax. I'm not interested in being locked in the framework of a genre, but I know that genre filmmaking connects physically with the audience. It generates anxiety, fear, tension, much better than any other syntax in cinema. In a movie like Personal Shopper, where I'm trying to deal with the anxieties of someone who's reconstructing herself after a devastating loss, I thought I needed that color, that texture, but I didn't want to be held hostage to genre.
>I think there's a million ways to tell stories, and I'm experimenting, trying to connect with my own subconscious, I suppose, which is a lot of what genre filmmaking is about. It's a kind of filmmaking that's always been important for me.

slantmagazine.com/features/article/interview-olivier-assayas-on-personal-shopper-and-working-with-kristen-stewart