What is the evolutionary purpose of social anxiety?

Serious question.

What possible advantage could these traits give to an individual?

Other urls found in this thread:

waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is a mental illness

Prove it.

it serves the same fucntion as dropou tin a neural network

>neural network

To make us wary of potentially harmful people

It makes sense to care about how other people perceive us, it allows us to co-operate. Being able to feel fear also makes sense, otherwise we'd get killed pretty quickly. Social anxiety isn't better than being normal, but it happens because these systems don't work the right way in some people, you will always have that if you have a large enough number of people.
Your question is like asking why having bad eyesight is evolutionarily advantageous; it isn't, but some will always be born with fucked up eyes, because genetics isn't magic.

>To make us wary of potentially harmful people
this. KS is always so cringy in interviews

this, anxiety in general is a mental illness

>evolutionary purpose
Lrn2evolution fgt pls

It has none. It is bad for your fitness. Something is fucked in your brain.

i was growing up thinking i have social anxiety

now i know that 99% of those people were cunts

it's like radar

It's there to stop you from making a fool of yourself.
Have you ever met one of those turboautists with no sense of what's socially unacceptable?

waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html

Social anxiety would be just a more extreme version of this

There doesn't have t be any advantage to it, after all it could be a result of modern society.

Humanity appeared in Africa, living in small groups, where "work" was reaching out for a fruit to fix the dinner. Then someone invented civilisation and now we live by the millions in cramped megacities, working 8 hours a day to afford the necessities. This is a life we were never adapted for. Humanity is about 1,000,000 years old, cities are only about 10,000 years old (Catal Huyuk). That is not enough time to adapt humanity.

you're so perfect

I'd rather have no sense of what's socially acceptable than feel like I do but actually have no idea.

interesting stuff

>What's the evolutionary advantage of being slow?
Like many traits, a person's level of social anxiety follows a distribution, and having high social anxiety is just how we define people on one end of the distribution.

Not every trait is advantageous,some genes influence multiple things, and why are you so fucking dumb.

Depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc are a result of our biology not matching up with life in modern civilization.
The only people suffering from these "mental illnesses" in third world countries are those wealthy enough to live something close to a western lifestyle.

It's not an advantage, but it's supposed to be there. Only ugly/low status people have social anxiety. This is because it's supposed to handicap them. It's there to lower their chances of reproduction therefore helping out the species as a whole.

>Only ugly/low status people have social anxiety.

In some circles, you're the ugly low status person. It's all relative.

One thing that certain is morons don't tend to have social anxiety, because they blunder through life blissfully unaware, just like a pig in slop.

Chad's pass down their alpha genes.

This guy is probably right. We need more time to develop neuroscience further to completely figure out such problems.

You're just white and evolved alongside alcohol. Like if a worm evolved in a jell then its child is put into dirt.

Human societies are universally cooperative and hierarchical; they are extensions of the family in some sense.

There are countless verbal and nonverbal, direct and indirect mechanisms for informing us of our role and status in society. Of what your "job" should be.

Social anxiety is what happens if you ignore those signals.

I think that social anxiety is extremely prevalent nowadays because of the sheer diversity of conflicting signals.

Most signalling is commercial in nature. You are constantly being pushed towards making purchases sometimes without being aware of it. It is not always direct. Movies, television, music, and ads that are artistically vacant implicitly push materialistic behavior and perspectives because that's all that's left in the absence of art. Everything in the world of a television commercial seems perfect but no one would want to live there. Ads intentionally sow negative emotions because those spur us to action even though the actions they promote do not resolve the emotions.

Most western societies lack any coherent narrative as to which behaviors are good and which are bad. The anxiety comes from not knowing what you should do. Where would one even begin?

Its a mental illness we got from neanderthals.

Didn't neanderthals die out because we killed them and impregnated their women?

Still got their mentally ill genetics in us.

Social anxiety is just superior awareness. The world is dangerous, and people are out to get you.

>evolutionary purpose
L0Lno fgt pls

This seems true but I don't trust you.

>Didn't neanderthals die out because we killed them and impregnated their women?
OK, so we first killed them and THEN impregnated their women. Uhh-huh.
Also, how did impregnating their women (assuming they were alive at the time) in itself kill the neanderthals (second assumption: that neanderthals were not just the men).

There are supposedly fewer neanderthal genes in Africans. Earlier they said there were none but then it was discovered some of the genes were beneficial. In any case, do we see less of these mental problems in Africa?

I hate this line of reasoning. Think of how far willful isolation goes. People each want their own homes, with at least two doors between them and their nearest neighbor at all times.
People would rather communicate by message, note, or electronically than in-person with strangers the majority of the time.
People will expensively drive their own cars and won't carpool just so they can be alone.

It's not mental illness. It's the default state of man.

How is there a functional difference

How the fuck can you say that with any confidence?

all mans problems arise from his inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

hell is other people.

totally agree. I think anxiety occurs from prolonged exposure to people that you subconsciously deem a threat.