What's the hardest STEM-related class you took in uni?

What's the hardest STEM-related class you took in uni?

What the fuck is going on in that picture

undergrad: analytical chem, mostly because the lab TA was a fucking hardass about grading and expected basically publication-quality writing for reports
grad school: module in statistics from the computational bio program. intended as a middle ground between a full graduate-level course in statistics and those bullshit "here's how to read an ANOVA table and run a t-test" courses. in addition to being the hardest class i've taken, also my favorite.

Undergrad:
Hardest to get a good grade in: Organic Chem 1, because the grading was artificially difficult to eliminate pre-meds (even though I wasn't one), and yet the exam style was based on pure memorization instead of actually understanding trends. Orgo 2 was much better.
Hardest to actually learn: Probably abstract algebra or quantum chemistry.

Grad:
Grad classes are easy, they only bother teaching you basics because you have more important shit to worry about than classes.

kinda reminds me of this from old simpsons.

Introduction to Computing II. First semester we had intro to computing I in python which was ok. Then they decided to change my programs entire course sequence (software eng) and made us do java instead which was unbearable, had to code in notepad++ and compile in cmd/terminal we were not aloud to use IDEs

uOttawa?

Python is unbearable. Tabbing left should be illegal and brutal to debug

I'd prefer Python over Java, and C++ over both of them desu.

Based Arnold

Chem. eng. thermodynamics. Mostly because of the competition.

>Notepad and command line
Are you serious? We did this shit in 10th easy. That way you can keep everything on your flash drive and avoid installing the jdk on school computers

>had to code in notepad++ and compile in cmd/terminal we were not aloud to use IDEs
oh you poor baby

For me, probably PDEs. Did not have a good grounding in ODEs and should never have taken it.

>compiling without jdk
was there a portable version of it or what?

Just install notepad, jdk, and jre on your flash drive and set the path in command prompt/terminal

Russians dude, what the fuck.

an elementary topology course i took. i just never intuitively "got it" and ended up with a lot of memorization and flimsy efforts at proof writing. it's something i plan to come back to on my own.

Underwater basket weaving user. It’s tricky to coordinate the material underwater.

fun but also kicked my ass

I barely passed complex analysis. Might have been the prof though (he was an asshole, C average for the class, that motherfucker).

Other two stupid hard ones were Classical mechanics, and Statistical physics.

human physiology was pretty hard, had to learn all signal transduction pathways. Test were ridiculous, describe everything in detail with your knowledge of physiology the physiology of disease at a molecular level.

Freshman year I had an empty slot and wanted to start working towards a math minor, so I took Dynamical Systems because its only pre-req was Differential Equations. I had no background in linear algebra. I'm not even sure I knew how to multiply matrices at that point.

You did differential equations in high school?

The hardest I have taken was last semester: Senior level Algorithms course, but only because the professor was an old fuck

No, I tested out of calc so my freshman year was multivariate calc then differential equations then dynamical systems alongside "engineering math" (vector calc)

Computer Architecture. Low level shit is just so boring to me its impossible to study.

Econometrics. Never understood how all the matrices and criteria and whatnot actually work, just memorized enough formulas and learned to parrot enough theory to pass the exam. Fuck that shit.

>implying it isn't where all the fun shit takes place
go fap to your merge sort

I feel the same way about organic chemistry. I had to work hard for my As but it felt like I was busting my ass to understand more corner cases than general principles.

My toughest undergrad class was probably Biochem 2, simply because of the sheer volume of information they expected us to absorb. Kinda like Orgo, no individual topic is particularly difficult, but exams were essay style and questions were basically "describe all the shit happening here down to the amino acid level, and what experiments you need to do to learn more". I got an A but I literally don't know what half my grades were in that class, all I know is that some people were walking away with scores lower than 20% for at least one exam.

That's such a CS thing to say. I can only imagine the abominations you are turning out; shit like 2 NAND clocks, clocks and inputs in the same sensitivity lists, derivatives clocks,.. Now that I think about it, I'd actually want to take a look, might be funny.

Topology

My professor made the tests almost impossible and was a sub par teacher.

Also, I now hate Topology more than anything because of this experience.

I'm embarrassed to say it was honors chemistry 101. The professor was, to date, the smartest person I've ever met. Undergrad at Caltech, Doctorate at Harvard, and was an actual world leader in his field. He wasn't a bad teacher really, but I honestly don't think he was capable of dumbing things down to a freshman level.

I remember he one day he started lecturing on the particle in a box, and just no one had the mathematical maturity at that point to have any idea what he was talking about. I didn't see that concept again until physical chemistry my senior year.

I was pretty pissed coming out of my first semester with a C+ on my transcript because chemistry was my best/favorite subject up to that point, but it was a learning experience. It taught me that I didn't know jack shit.

signal processing and control theory
estimation theory
signal processing in communications

got fucking hemorrhoids from how much i had to study for this stuff. wierdly enough now i love these subjects.

Analysis course for electronical engineers. 68% failure rate, we were 62 students, 20 passed, only 12 of us got a C which was the highest grade given.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had a really hard time with mechanical dynamics. Thermo, fluids, ODEs and linear were all easy for me, but fuck dynamics.

Thermodynamics. I got a B which was the lowest grade I got in my physics major. It never clicked with me even with how much effort I put into that class alone Once I took stat mech the next year it all sort of came together and I felt a lot better with the concepts.

Don't be so ashamed. The shitting on eachother and calling eachother brainlets is just shitposting and actually autistic guys. Every course is babby-tier and every major is shit, that's the Veeky Forums way.

organic chemistry I guess or statistics

Vector statics. 20 problems in 3 hours, no graphing calculator.
Teacher refused to teach or be competent.

>organic chemistry
>hard
user, artificial difficulty doesn't count.

>aloud

physical chemistry: quantum mechanics

oh and fuck thermo

Complex analysis or my compiler class or cloud architecture can't decide.

busted my ass studying in year 3 for signals and controls but aced both. love controls so didnt have a hard time, but doing discrete convolutions and DFTs on paper kicked my ass. both are my favorite EE fields by a long shot though.
also hardest ever course was Context Of Business, a fucking level 1 management course. I've passed all my engineering classes with decent grades but could not pass a single thing in management. that field is so fucked up useless and retarded I just want to fucking lynch its entire faculty and reinstate its buildings towards STEM research.
for the record it wasn't the essay writing that killed me. I just smashed a psychology course last term with no prior experience in the area and actually had a decent time doing the coursework

for my EE courses, computer architecture and software engy (both in one module) was some black magic shit to me. the architecture part i atleast understood the basics, software part was more general project management than actual software. we literally had 70% of the coursework code given to us. also the teacher is a notorious cunt for being a hardass on reports for shit like clarity of writing and generally hard to follow

Literally dropped Inorganic Chem because the professor was insane and expected undergrads to learn it at a super advanced level yet was not a good enough teacher to actually explain it well. Took it the next semester with a different professor who knew what he was doing and it ended up being my favorite class of my undergrad.

Shoutout to anyone else who went to UF and knows what Im talking about