Isn't all science that isn't focused on extending the human lifespan a mistake to pursue at this point in human...

Isn't all science that isn't focused on extending the human lifespan a mistake to pursue at this point in human technology? You could build rockets for your grandchildrens space age, or you could extend your lifespan and then build rockets and go to space. I don't get it, the priority should be clear. Is everybody retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/character/17567/Primera
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you're failing to account for the likelihood of success
people put lots of money into looking for the fountain of youth historically, that doesn't mean they succeeded
And the biotech industry is twice as big as space dollar for dollar anyway

Maybe, maybe not but that's not how decisions to do science are made.

Yes. However before they were running on alchemy and magic. Imagine making a fountain of youth out of pure logic.

our understanding of human aging isn't that far off from alchemy
I mean we have a theory that describes (some of) the building blocks of human biology and we've stumbled across a couple tools that happen to work but bioengineering is still in its infancy

Genetic engineering wasn't a full-blown steamrolling science during those times. It is now.

Yes, I know, it's about profit. What isn't more profitable than "hey wanna not die?" I don't understand priorities in any context.

Not being in denial about dying someday
Pleb

An infant Hercules is still a formidable force.

It's not about profit it's about funding. The most profitable things are more short term I think.

Why not just kill yourself now then what difference does it make?

Because I'm in denial, dumbass

There is a large difference between refusing to accept the fact that you are dying and attempting to live longer than eighty or ninety years.

Billionaries want to fund rockets instead of extending their lifespan so they fly in rockets?

Source on that pic?

Christfags are the cancer of this earth. Its because of retards like you stem cell research is over a decade behind where it could be.

We can't afford to have humans to living longer. There's overpopulation issues already.

>if x hadn't occurred we would y right about now.

>if ethics didn't exist, I could be raping so many lolis right nao

myanimelist.net/character/17567/Primera

Not everybody is cut out to be a molecular biologist.
Some are "merely" intelligent enough to be rocket scientists. So you might as well let them work on that while you concentrate on not dying.
In any case, piling on resources isn't always the way to get things done faster. Nine women cannot produce a baby in one month.

I remember a story by Lester delRey. Rejuvenation has been perfected. You can revert to being 20 whenever you start to feel your age. There are also interstellar colonies, linked by slower-than-light ships.
Then someone invents an FTL drive. The unmanned probes just disappear and only 1 in 1000 is ever found again. It's a problem in navigation. Someone needs to ride a probe, make observations, and calibrate the instruments. Just the one trip and then the universe will be open to everyone.
But that first trip will be risky. Today, you'd have no difficulty finding a test pilot. The rewards are great and, if something goes wrong, you're dead 20 or 30 years before your time. But it you're risking the possible loss of thousands of years... No one is willing to chance it.

The population exceeds 7 billion today. Life extension would increase that significantly.

If you look at human life as a resource, it's far cheaper just to replace.

Good point. Maybe we should work on giving everyone space and unlimited resources before we start allowing them to live forever...

How narrow must your thinking be to not see overpopulation as a self-solving problem.

>we have invented FTL, mastered death, sail the stars
>we cannot make an AI sophisticated enough to take the place of a human in a manned probe experiment
really makes u think

>Implying advances in other fields unrelated to medicine don't contribute to extending human life.

Imagine you've got an AI.

The AI can alter it's own programming (analogous to gaining knowledge/intelligence) and does so overtime.

For every task you assign the AI, the AI will always try to improve itself over going straight in to the task. This is because intelligence is an instrumental factor for the AI, it affects it's performance.
Say you tell it to make a coffee. It knows it doesn't have the optimal coffee making strategy, so by spending 1 day improving, it can make a cup of coffee faster than if it simply tried to make coffee from the start.
Similarly, If it continued to make improvements to itself, it could also come up with a better plan to make coffee and perform even better.

The short answer is that it's always advantageous to improve your abilities, it's an action that is worth taking even at significant cost in time and resources and is true whether you're making coffee, collecting stamps or curing cancer.

Why is that? What makes a lifespan of an arbitrary number of years inferior or superior to a lifespan of a different arbitrary number of years?