Why Quantum Computers Won’t Work

youtu.be/mIULkvTGk2U

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1801.02602.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_quantum_computing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i thought they've already worked?

Have you seen any paper showing results? Me neither.

arxiv.org/pdf/1801.02602.pdf

Three Puzzles on Mathematics, Computation, and Games
Gil Kalai
(Submitted on 8 Jan 2018)

In this lecture I will talk about three mathematical puzzles involving mathematics and computation that have preoccupied me over the years. The first puzzle is to understand the amazing success of the simplex algorithm for linear programming. The second puzzle is about errors made when votes are counted during elections. The third puzzle is: are quantum computers possible?

Imagine if the closest thing to a regular computer was a machine that could do one very specific function applied to 8 bytes of data. And also it needs to be kept super-cold and have redundant versions of the same function because it will randomly fail due to noise. That's where quantum computing is at currently. And these problems will get exponentially worse if you try to expand to new functions applied to more data. So a real question is whether the cost of controlling those problems will ever be outweighed by the gains of using that approach instead of classical computing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_quantum_computing

D-Wave Systems Inc. announced on 24 January general commercial availability of the D-Wave 2000Q quantum annealer, with 2000 qubits.[178]
Atos sells first Quantum Learning Machine to Oak Ridge National Laboratory, supporting US Department of Energy research[179]
Working blueprint for a microwave trapped ion quantum computer published in Science Advances by international collaborators.[180]
IBM unveils 17-qubit quantum computer—and a better way of benchmarking it.[181]
Scientists build a microchip that generates two entangled qubits each with 10 states, for 100 dimensions total.[182]
Microsoft reveals an unnamed quantum programming language, integrated with Visual Studio. Programs can be executed locally on a 32-qubit simulator, or a 40-qubit simulator on Azure. [183]
Intel develops a 17-qubit chip.[184]
IBM reveals a working 50-qubit quantum computer that can maintain its quantum state for 90 microseconds.[185]

How does that contradict anything said so far in this thread?

?????????
Everybody knows that the hardware exists. Where are the results, my man.

OK. That could happen. The guy isn't crazy.

He basically makes similar claims to several other critics and all engineers working on quantum computers know about the noise issue.

QC is a meme.

quantum annealing is completely different. yes it's a computer and it works and it's quantum but annealing != universal quantum computation. it's only for specific optimization problems.

i guess the debate on whether quantum computers exists is done

No it isn't.

>When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

Back in the day there were articles why automobiles could never compete with horses and how TVs would never have sound.

Your point? Moron...

I DON'T KNOW WTF YOU THOUGHT, USE ENGLISH PROPERLY, YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT, KYS NOW

but, but, muh exponential grof, and muh space colonies for humanity???

but what about muh asteroid mining, and muh artificial waifu AI, and muh super cool self driving electric cars???

>Have you seen any paper showing results? Me neither.
You can't be fucking serious. Plenty of publications already.
What's your news source? Are you waiting for huffpost to report on this or something?

based gil kalai BTFOing the brainlets