Do you think Rupi Kaur is aware of the fact that an actual 6 year old is outperforming her in poetry...

Do you think Rupi Kaur is aware of the fact that an actual 6 year old is outperforming her in poetry? How can we tell her?

Also, is this the end goal of a post-modern literary society? After all, good literature is subjective, user.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C_VheAwZBuQ
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9539229#
youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes
YES

>How can we tell her?
twitter should do it

>there are people on Veeky Forums right now who like rupi kaur

>the male is more creative than the female
Nothing new here. I won't even bother to point out that the male in question is a six year old, since all women are just grown up children.

Both of these blow dick

The tiger poem is great dude shut the fuck up

FUCK OFF BACK TO /pol/

>Yes
>YES
postmodern af

a modern Blake

>this was made 7 years ago
Jesus christ

youtube.com/watch?v=C_VheAwZBuQ

deep

What can be read in "The Tiger"
>will to power
>the futility of human barriers against the force of nature
>embracing the dionisyac
What can be read in the rupi kaur one
>slave morality
>passive agression
And by the way the name "They're Singing a Song in Their Rocket" is so Veeky Forums

>grown up children
hmmm

Maybe you're judging the poetry of a six year old outside the proper context

Great work by Nael.
>the name "They're Singing a Song in Their Rocket" is so Veeky Forums

I love it too.

in nael's work "the tiger" you can hear clearly the cry of the primal one, it's actually pottery

Yes
YES

I'm judging it as the poetry of a sex year old.

>The tiger
>He destroyed his cage
>Yes
>YES
>The tiger is out

Love the simplicity of this. Its impossible to misinterpret: this is a poem about a primal force of nature laying waste to the obstacles that restrain it. He's done a great job of evoking the strength and unrelenting drive of the tiger. Notice the word choice: the tiger didn't break out of his cage, he didn't slip out between the bars, he didn't escape: he destroyed his cage, and now there is nothing to hold him back.
Great work from such a young mind.

found an illustration of the tiger poem.

Children are our only source of sincere art

> as you
> shut the door behind you

How can anybody think this was poetic and not just fucking repetitive?

Why is it a good thing that the tiger is out?

Now we can ride it

>rupi kaur's banal sincerity pales in comparison to the pure imagination of a child who is still innocently bewildered by the world

no big surprise here. if you want to be really subversive, put the poems next to each other without the context that a 6 year old child wrote the tiger one.

It is not a literal tiger, it is a repressed form of any kind with the potential and ability to be and have more, but is restricted by the cage.

As the tiger destroys its obstacle, it is free with much encouragement from everything - you work hard, it pays off.

Don't ignore the duality of the two yes's (which is, rather brilliantly, illustrated by the fact that there are two of them). They can interpreted in two ways:
1) the narrator indicates that he is happy about the fact that the tiger destroyed the cage, or 2) the narrator may merely be affirming it, stating the fact that yes indeed, the cage is destroyed.

>Yes
>YES

fuckin lol good shit, I will implement this from now on.

To be fair, Nael is outperforming just about everyone in poetry.

>a six year old writes more interesting poetry than me

Holy shit

>The tiger
>He destroyed his cage
>Yes
>YES
>The tiger is out

Love the simplicity of this. It's impossible to misinterpret: this is the poem of a kid who's happy a tiger escaped. He's done a great job of picking his favorite animal, and knows it's strong. Notice the word choice: the tiger didn't break out of his cage, he didn't slip out between the bars, he escape: he destroyed his cage, because a tiger is strong and the kid wants it so the tiger can't be put back right away.
Such a normal work from a typical kid.

>be nael
>20 years from now
>dad died from lung cancer 6 years ago, mom very recently passed away aswell
>gray april day
>cleaning out dead mom's house
>only one box of stuff left
>find a folder in it labeled 'nael - pre school, 2016'
>discover an old poem, apparently part of an anthology
>whatisthis.hypxr
>read it, smile at my innocence, think about my younger self
>memories of mom and dad starts showering me, feels hit me hard as trains
>filled with melancholic nostalgia, decide to try and look the anthology up on the hypernet
>hypergoogle my name, the poem and the anthology
>bunch of random links, go to second page of hypergoogle
>see this weirdly named site, it's an old website, not a hypersite
>rupi kaur [...] 6 year old outperforming [...] great work by nael
>w-what
>click on warosu.org/lit/thread/S9539229#
>see my poem
>bunch of anonymous people praising me and my innocence
>lost all ability to detect irony because hyperreality is real
>they're actually analyzing my poem, they liked it
>read posts saying I outperform everyone, great job nael, love the simplicity
>check date: 20 years ago
>wow
>already in a very emotional state, tears now start running down my cheeks
>sit down on the floor, think of parents, my youth and these kind anons
>stay on the floor for a long time
>suddenly hear birds chirping, look out the window
>the sun has fought its way through the clouds, front lawn and street looks beautifully serene bathing in sunlight
>take a deep breath, smile and get up
>put the folder back into the last box, pick it up and exit the house
>get in my hovering car
>as I make a move to start the car, my eyes linger on the folder with the poem again
>feel a sudden immense sense of joy and gratitude
>tears start flowing again, but out of happiness this time
>everything will be alright
>thank you Veeky Forums, I say out loud to myself
>wipe face with my hand, smile and drive away

U suck user

I don't know if you guys are being ironic about the poem on the right but I not insincerely like it and wouldn't have guessed it was written by a 6 year old

damn

the tiger is the Self
the cage is social conditioning
the Self destroys social conditioning through willpower and obtains liberation

why do you care
the general public has never appreciated good shit and im sure you dont either

>the tiger is the Self
this at the very least

also i like to think of the poem as spectatorial. The poet-narrator is an observer, but a distanced one. this accounts for the wonderful irony of feeling joy and excitement at seeing a tiger destroy his cage. Under normal circumstances he ought to be terrified and run for his life; but this would obviously give no time for words, and much less time to write a poem. but his distance from the catastrophe and danger enables the poetry. what we're being told here is clearly that the poet can not be involved with his subject and still have it as a subject. art begins when the observer and the observed are clearly and sharply segmented from one another. 10/10 poem

Something is wrong with me. I unironically think about this Tiger poem all the time. It makes me want to take control of my life. Not even memeing.

I intepreted the "yes YES" part as someone first explaining to someone that a lion has escaped. The person he talks to says "yes" in a relaxed way, while the person talking replies in a worried fashon. "YES, the tiger is out"
It shows a form of existential dread and that people cannot percieve dangerous situations. Maybe it comments on the social aspects of todays society with all the nihilists who don't really care for the society they live in.

>Also, is this the end goal of a post-modern literary society
Nah, it's got nothing to do with postmodernism. Premodern literature was full of hacks too.

Last man detected

Because it yearns to be free.

Nothing wrong with that at all

if this was a poem by Keats or Blake or anyone famous, you wouldn't feel bad at all. you'd just be glad you found a poem that spoke to you.

you're falling for two of society's memes here: first, that children cannot produce anything profound, and second, that if you are enjoying a work of art, you are enjoying an expression of an "artist." belief in the second point has had a disastrous effect on art by making the artwork only a pretense to look into the artist's life. you can see this in the demand that we read more books by women and people of color: no one is saying that these groups should write more books, or that they should improve their writing, but that we, as consumers, have an obligation to extend our admiration to an equal mix of races and genders. but this admiration is only a side effect of art, not its main purpose.

you like the words in the poem, not the poet. no one knows anything about nael. i dont even know if it's a male or female name. but i know that they discovered a combination of words that touches on something ineffable. if anything, it's more meaningful that you love a poem by a child, because it means that you're not being swayed by society's expectations of what a poet "should look like."

Is this supposed to be ironic?

Lol good stuff

i dont even think we can call this breed of irony irony anymore

I liked some of her more recent work.

>breaking up sentences
>in random
>places
>automatically makes it
>profound poetry

It is indicative of the child's innate desire to see how situations unfold. The child is young and not experienced with the world, he needs to observe and learn how the world works, which leads them into a destructive curiosity. The child does not know right from wrong, all he knows is wants to see what happens when a strong animal that cannot easily be stopped is released from its cage, free to wreak havoc and glean information from the ensuing chaos that will be useful to its future survival.

Depends on if satire is inherently ironic.

Who is this? Where can I read more?

You're just
Not smart
Enough
To understand
True poetry

>grown up children.
what did he mean by this

rupi kaur would never capitalize any of her
sentences
you are a
asshole

the power of the poem is the ecstasy of the exclamation of yes. i think the last line is kinda weak though, maybe its the only possible line.

can anyone punch up the poem of a 6 year old?

bane?

her poems remind me of oscar wilds "all bad poetry comes from a place of genuine emotion". like the poetry itself is obviously bad but calling it shit is hitting someone whos obviously putting herself in such a vulnerable position.

>can anyone punch up the poem of a 6 year old?
Yes I believe it's much better like this:

The tiger
He destroyed his cage
Yes
YES
YEESSSSSS!

Do you think an original manuscript of "The Tiger" exists? It's probably valuable.

Perhaps if you placed the last line of the original after the second. I still prefer the other.

no

>The tiger
>He destroyed his cage
>Yes
>YES
>No longer bound

>>embracing the dionisyac

>impying the point is not the balance between the dionysian and the apollonian

This kid is a modernist pleb

my own attempt:

The tiger
He destroyed his cage
Yes
YES
He walks around

...and the lionesses and gazelles and polar bears and meerkats and the Zoo where I was a boy in the crowd yes when I put the spoon in the Dippin' Dots like my uncle used or shall I wear my monkey hat yes and how he stared at my from behind his bars and I thought well as well he is a tiger and then I asked him with my eyes to escape this place yes and then he roared and gripped the cage yes to say yes Nael my friend and first he put his arms around the bars yes and tore them apart so he could walk down so I could pet him and his tail was swaying like mad and yes he's out yes he is YES.

This is kinda cool
Doesn't fit at all stylistically and also makes it too obvious

ok here is an analysis that prolly make yall eyes roll but look at the position of the exciting live of the poem:

The tiger
He destroyed his cage
Yes
YES
The tiger is out

the "yes // YES" is locked between longer descriptive sentences, like the tiger is locked in the cage. kinda neat huh

I finished rupi kaur's milk and honey in 50 minutes (200 pages!), it sucked ass.
I know
how
to poetry too

The power of the poem isn't just the exclamation, it's how that exclamation is restrained by that distanced reportage style of stating facts, and returns to documenting the status of the tiger in the last line. This is why I don't think it's a weak line. It's like someone on the news gets a bit carried away and after a brief outburst returns to the professional tone while still trying to hide that excitement.

The tiger
He destroyed his cage
Yes
YES
The people are running

>The tiger
>He destroyed his cage
>Yes
>YES
>Echoes still,his roar

this is an excellent thread

good post user

I don't really buy this.

>insincerely
Really? I sincerely like the poem. I imagine that was a mistake to say that you ironically like this poem, but if you meant it then you suck dude.

No, he's saying that he not insincerely likes it, which means he sincerely likes it

I guess. Hope he liked it.

He doesn't not insincerely like it, he does NOT not insincerely like it

>The user
>he enjoys a poem
>not
>NOT
>the post is sincere

The Swede
He locked his chastity cage
Sweden
YES
I'm. coming. out

You know, this wasn't that terrible until the last verse. Has she ever heard of subtlety?

That poem is a parody from another thread

I think the last line adds something. Instead of just reveling in the escape, it also turns its attention to the consequences. The tiger is out now. Who knows what's going to happen next? Probably something cool.

You're a big poet

I prefer "The tiger is out." Something exciting about the way it sounds

Wonderful

same user, its the perfect ending. It just has this tone of finality, like a grand announcement or something, triumphant and thrilling, tantalizing you to know whats next in the moment but leaving you content with the infinitively eternal suspension of it

youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

i actually did this when i had to write poems in middle school

How does it feel to be a worse poet than a 6 year old

uuuu

uhhh, hahahHAHahah

this desu

Homo hominis tigris est.

This. Last line makes the poem.

>>lost all ability to detect irony because hyperreality is real
>>they're actually analyzing my poem, they liked it

Nael, I actually like it; I'm not being sarcastic.