Anyone else make their own hot sauce/condiments?

Anyone else make their own hot sauce/condiments?

Pic is ingredients

I'm in the UK at the moment so this is composed almost entirely of birds eye chillis and scotch bonnets, with a shitton of granulated garlic and paprika, oregano, cayenne, parsley, and lime, lemon juice along with malt vinegar mixed in.

Used a retired and sterilized glass bottle to store, made almost exactly 750ml even though we didn't measure.

what is your plan ?
I have some you may like. let me lookk up the recipe

Is it worth it? Worth as in tasting significantly better and cheaper

The curves of the bottle suggest Admiral Nelson's, but it is missing the markings.

Sounds interesting. I made this tobasco/garlic last year but I fermented it instead of adding vinegar. I've got a batch of habanero/garlic/tomato fermenting right now. I definitely think it's worth it since I grow my own peppers and I can create any flavor profile I'd like.

whats the recipe

A friend from La RĂ©union gave me this kind of pepper sauce, and it's the most tasty thing (yet so strong) thing I ever tasted.

At first it was almost impossible to put more than two drops to sting, and it gives so much taste to meals. It's incredible. I don't know how to do it though.

I'd say it depends a lot on your situation. If you live somewhere where hot peppers are expensive and/or hard to find at the supermarket then it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy your hot sauce. If the peppers are readily available and cheap then you certainly can save money. If you grow your own peppers then it's basically free.

Also making it yourself gives you full control over the flavor. You can make your sauce to match a specific dish you're cooking, or you can make the exact combination of flavors that you like. And, of course, it might be a fun hobby activity if you like that sort of thing.

I buy most of my hot sauces. But I do make my own too. Sometimes it's a fun experiment I try after seeing some nice produce & I get inspired. Other times it might be to use up a surplus of peppers I have. And I do have a personal favorite that I usually have on hand, made from habaneros, apricots, and peaches.

>tobasco
I see this a lot on here.
Is it a regional spelling?

you must be new to the 4chin. nothing is spelled right ever. sometimes on purpose sometimes just to trigger autism.

>>replying to copypasta
Speaking of being "new"....

Hot sauce in the U.K. is salsa in America, right?

How hard is it to grow peppers?

No, we grew a few plants this year

Sorry I'm a retard. It's not hard to grow peppers is what I meant to say. Maybe it depends on your location

Where are you from? What kind of climate does pepper need to grow well?

Yeah, I was worried you'd need a continental climate with high heats to make it really grow.

Depends on the variety but generally you need at least 4-5 months of frost free weather and good amounts of sun.

What is the use of hot sauce? Is it primarily to put on food that is already cooked? I normally just freeze my peppers.

Anything. I use it to bump up the heat of any dish. you can use it as a marinade, throw it in with curry, put it on sandwiches, burgers etc.

no, shit like Nando's XX peri-peri is legit.

This looks really interesting, I might try to find it

Definitely cheaper for the volume you get (this was probably only ~$5 USD worth of peppers, and control over flavor/hotness.

also ingredients list

A shitton of birds eye peppers (at least 100g worth);
a million scotch bonnets (probably about 10-15);
few squirts of tomato paste;
some water;
some sushi vinegar (optional);
some malt vinegar (squirt to taste);
some lime juice;
some lemon juice;
cayenne;
parsley;
oregano;
shitton of granulated garlic;
salt (more than you think);
and some onion granules if you're feeling adventurous.

I do sometimes but I find it only holds for like 3, maybe 4 days and I wind up throwing most of it out because I make to much.

If I wasn't a retard I just make enough to fill a small mason jar, but I am retarded so I make like a fucking quart of it and then I'm like "what the fuck do I do with all of this shit?"

First World problems.

put some vinegar and lime juice in it, it'll preserve it much better and keep it in the fridge