Shot the moose on the motherfuckin hed. Four days since it was shot. 3 days it was left hangin to tenderize...

Shot the moose on the motherfuckin hed. Four days since it was shot. 3 days it was left hangin to tenderize. These are the primecuts

Heres the shittier ones thats gonna be minced. That was anons job

Cubed em to fit the machine. Heres 8kg

Doned mincing. Its the most organic meat ive eaten

I've never tried moose. Does its taste compare to venison? Also kudos on the post, I like seeing a guy get a kill and break it down.

Ofcourse we make a patty to taste. S n p plus some butter

Doned. Very tasty. Gamey and moose is the most lean meat there is almost so dryness is a factor to consider. Still brety fantastic and 4 days to plate is quite noice

Fuck yes!

What are you planning on doing with the meat? Got anything special lined up? You just can't beat the flavor of game.

Wasnt my kill. In the countryside people gang up and apply numbers to shoot and share the profits. We got 20kg of meat from 9 mooses. They land owners get the first one. And then people pull straws on who gets what package. First we had was moose calf but meat was 1/3 of todays loot. Also i think moose is lean cos its such a lanklet.

Your meat is great.
Your burger? Not as impressive. Too lean, and that's a pathetic sear. It looks more gray than brown. If the moose itself didn't have enough fat then you can cut it with some pork.

Stews, steaks, pots, slow cooking in a wood oven. And mince is quite flexible from soups to burgers

I chopped it up and cooked it with some red wine after that pic. I just wanted a fast taste of it.

Interesting. I grew up in Vermont, and there they'd do a raffle. Too many people wanting to hunt one but not enough to go around. So you'd pay your fee and if they drew your name you got permission to shoot one. Most of the other game hunted there is deer and wild turkey.

F

Is english your first language?

Do you think it would be worthwhile to mix softened butter or cheese into the ground meat to make it less lean? sorry for dumbass question.

>Shot the moose on the motherfuckin hed.
>Wasnt my kill

No, the butter will just run out. The fat in cheese is bound into the cheese and won't come out unless you overcook the piss out of the patty until the cheese splits.

You need to mix in a fatty meat, usually a fatty cut of pork. This is very common in sausage making. You need a certain amount of fat in a sausage or the texture gets fucked up. Pork doesn't need any added fat, but if you're using lean cuts of beef, or if you're using game like venison, moose, elk, then you need to add some fat. So you use a mix of the lean meat and some fatty pork to end up with the right ratio in the end.

In this case you could use ground fatty pork or a fatty cut of beef, like short rib. Don't buy "ground pork"--that will probably be too lean. Get a fatty piece of shoulder, belly without the skin, or full-on "fatback". Grind some of that in with your moose.

Shot this little fella last Friday. Pulled about 40lbs of meat off him and ground half of that. Best burgers, best stew meat, best everything.
If you arent harvesting your own meat youre a cuck.
Im shitposting from the deer stand right now.

I suspected the butter wouldn't work. Thanks.

I do 1/4 to 1/4 fat to meat and it turns out p good. Use bacon ends or salt pork. I know some folls that do 50/50 for sausages and theyre good but bretty rich and might make you shit too much.

1/3 to 1/4

For most sausages you want about 30% fat. For burgers you want about 20% fat.

So if you were adding pure fatback to lean meat then about 1/4 (25%) fatback would be great for sausages, but a bit too fatty for burgers.

50/50 pork shoulder or short rib + lean venison is good for burgers.

Nope

Noice.

You dont shoot moose in the hed to kill them bro

Butter does work, but not as well and you waste a lot of it. I grind frozen butter into meat sometimes. It's a nice flavor and works well enough so long as it is not an extremely lean meat you are grinding. If you try it, saute onions in the pan juices afterward to not waste the butter.

Do you add fat into your burger mix?

I'd rather go for the heart/lung shot myself since it is a larger target and leaves more room for error, but there's nothing wrong with a brain shot assuming you are confident in your ability to hit it and you don't want it for a trophy.

Hope you cleaned that sink. Yuck.

cleaning the sink is for FAGS

Bitch, that's just added immunity against the parasites commonly found in wild game. I'd drink out of that sink and cut my sashimi in it.

>kill deer
>eat deer
>get worms
>worms eat you
>worms kill you
pottery

Are deer worms worse than the ones in pork?

These

No, because pork tapeworms don't end up in the colon, they eat your organs and brain.

That said pork tapeworms can exist in other animals because they spread throughout the food chain, the only way to effectively prevent them is to cull pig populations.

I'm terrified of undercooking pork after 1 episode of House where the worms caused brain damage, I can't even make bacon now without charring it.

I can see how you would feel that way but generally speaking the farmed ones should be relatively safe. The introduction of pigs to an environment however would spread the tapeworms to other animals in the food chain. The tapeworm uses pigs and humans as a host but can exist in any animal, the most likely way to be infected would be from any wild animal.

Fuck that looks tasty

>moose
fuck. i miss alaska. i'm thinking about moving there.

Don overthink it man. I bet humans ate some sketchy stuff before when food was scarce

Bacon is cured. The salt and chemicals killed all the worms and trichinosis. You can eat it raw if you want.

This seems like a good thread to ask this. I've recently come into around 6 antelope hearts, kidneys and livers as well as an elk heart, liver, tongue, and kidneys. Does anyone have any good tips or recipes for cooking game organ meat? I've cooked with heart a couple of times, but everything else is pretty new to me.

You monster. You should give that m00se a decent burial with full military honors. Then neck yourself.

fucking evil canadians and their mascots.

>fucking evil canadians and their mascots.
Fucking west coast, more like. Moose fuck shit up in Canada and we're more than happy to kill them.

*meese

you fucking nigger, you have to pluralize words this isn't harlam

*Harlem

You fucking chink. You have to learn the language, this isn't SEA.

capitolizing nigger """""""""""""""""""""""""""cities"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

that wasnt a mistake you FUCKING SUBHUMEn

>Grammar and correct spelling are subhuman
The absolute state of America.

can anyone decode this strange language?

Québecois.

Its the rare Canadian nigger. Don't try to decipher it, you will leave worse at language than you were before

Looks delicious OP, I'd really like to do this. How much deep freezer space do you need to store a processed moose?

as somebody who took parasitology, you're half right
The only reason beef tapeworms are safer is because you can't ingest the eggs. Tapeworm eggs slip through your small intestinal walls and move around the body, burrowing into whatever tissue they can find. This includes your eyes and brain. They usually end up being calcified by your immune system but if that happens in the brain you can have horrible seizures.
The REAL horrifying part is that if you take anti-tapeworm medicine once its in your brain, when it dies your immune response includes inflammation, essentially causing swelling of your brain leading to seizures, coma, you name it. It's awful and this is why you should never handle raw pork, or eat anything downstream of a pork farm since the eggs are passed in their shit.
The stage that we get from beef tapeworms is called a cysticercus, which hooks onto your small intestinal wall and then grows into an adult. People think they cause weight loss, really they don't do shit. They absorb excess waste and barely have any footprint on your overall well being.
Basically, raw meat is generally ok as long as its not pork.

And now for the latest waito piggu food meme
Medium rare pork chops

to be fair, industrial farming has essentially eliminated parasites from their populations for decades, but people who have their own farms are often not as careful. If you buy something from the farmers market thinking it'll be "cleaner" you're dead wrong. Possibly literally.
If I remember correctly cats can be a vector for certain pig parasites. It might be tapeworms or trichinosis but whatever.

You never go for the head in large game animals.

3 days isn't much for a mature animal and how the fuck did you guys butcher that thing?

Those cuts look like you hacked it randomly into chunks.

people don't seem to realize how fucking thick skulls are
there are many stories of 22lr's bouncing off people's heads

Agreed.

If you shoot them in the lungs/heart they seem to taste better. Not as much blood gets suck in the body. My grandfather always said the toughest moose he ever ate was head shot ones and he ate a lot of moose.

>there are many stories of 22lr's bouncing off people's heads
tru i hear those stories all the time *eyeroll*

We ended up with about 1200 lbs of meat from a massive moose in the 90s. We ate that ducking thing for years. The roasts had a mossy quality to them, burgers were dry but my hick family cooked everything in bacon grease so it was fine. 20 years later and i still never want to eat Moose again.

Imo the best way to fatten up mince is to add egg yolk.

tumblr is that u????????????

>Bacon is cured
Not enough to kill all the bacteria

>Im shitposting from the deer stand right now.

the world needs more people like you.

i don't have a straight answer for you, but there's a show called MeatEater that deals with both hunting and cooking sides of harvesting game meat. dude's name is steve rinella, and has a number of cooking/recipe-specific episodes

I'll look into this. Thanks!

Why are you packing that in ziploc bags? Get a vacuum sealer for fucks sake, considering you evidentally hunt and butcher your own meat it'd be a very reasonable investment