This knife costs $510 because it's from Shigefusa, which has been memed into "perfect knife" by weebs

This knife costs $510 because it's from Shigefusa, which has been memed into "perfect knife" by weebs.

articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/29/news/cl-43936

Despite the price and completely plain design, there are weebs falling over themselves to get one whenever the limited stock arrives (it sells out almost immediately).

Weebs are now hoarding the knives after the main artisan who makes the Shigefusa knives said he's going to retire soon.

How does this make you feel?

>How does this make you feel?
$510 richer than a weeb?

Makes me feel good for thinking 'Fuck it, I'll just buy a bunch of Wusthofs'

They're always near the top of those review lists and they don't cost the Earth

/thread

German knives are too thick. You know it's true.

Also knife shit post thread plz

How many in Funagasei Prefecture have Sinbackuslap Tilmanenors? Especially with the onamasagirae mimblefleck?

You're all forgetting about the fleeb juice, that gets repurposed, over time.

So you dipshits have figured out that you sound weird to normal people by now, right? Stop trying to sell high carbon steel rapped in shit to every person on the net. Then you won't sound like an asshole.

Well i personally have wustofs 200 year edition 23cm knife for meat/rought jobs and a moritaka santoku 17cm for veggies/ soft jobs so id say they are not meant for the same thing at all

moritaka?

>that retardedly huge belly
I'll take a sabatier over it any day

The second image i linked right after the wustof

is that maple or walnut? if so, you aren't doing your nip knife a favor with hardwood cutting boards

Not quite sure what it is it was made by my grandpa long ago

you can buy a santoku for half the price, i don't actually see a point in having a gyuto

>i don't actually see a point in having a gyuto
It's basically the japanese version of a wester chef knife, it's somewhat better for rocking but not as good as chopping as a santoku

so depends on what you want

pretty good considering I bought a knife from a good japanese smith for less than a sixth of that

I have a five dollar knife and I can to anything with it without worrying about damaging a price knife

I have two Wusthofs and two Shuns. German is for carving and food with bones/high levels of toughness but the Eastern shit is perfect for just about anything else.

I don't really give a shit.

I already own all the knives I need so I'm not in the market for any; therefore the short supply of Shigefusas doesn't affect me. And if I do have the desire to pick up another Japanese knife I have other makers I prefer.

Wtf is a weeb?

Worth every penny imo

>implying you actually own any of that
>implying that picture isn't from one of those knifefag forums

Show me where you can get one for 510 and ill make sure you will never have to worry about it.

How much does it cost usually?

You know goddamn well what a weeb is now post a pic of at least one of those blades with a time stamp.

>German knives are too thick
A lot of them are. i bought some F. Dicks a few years ago which were just awful, but Wüsthofs are still quite decently thin. If you are planning on having you knives professionally thinned it must be said that thicker knives are better, because there is more "meat" on the blade for a properly convexed bladeface, to prevent sticking.

Thickness is also a matter of application.

For slicing things a thin blade is desired. For chopping, especially tougher foods, bones, etc, you want a thicker, heavier knife.

The Japanese understand this too, i.e. the Deba, garasuki/honesuki, etc,

Redpill me on knives, Veeky Forums. Why do I want a $500 glorious nippon steel knife over a decent $30 knife from a department store? I have the latter and as long as I keep it properly sharpened, it's never left me wanting.

A higher quality knife will retain its edge better. That means you don't have to perform maintenance (sharpening) as frequently. That's pretty much the only practical reason.

Though I would say that $500 is pretty absurd as far as practicality goes. The difference between a $100 knife and a $30 one is huge. The difference between a $100 and a $500? Not so much. Diminishing returns, and all that.

Other people light fancy knives the same way that some people like designer clothes, fancy cars, expensive guitars, rare coins, or any other kind of hobby or collection. It could be a status symbol, investment (knives by certain famous makers), or just an object that gives you pleasure, the same way someone might buy an expensive painting or designer lamp.

>Other people light
fucking autocorrect. That should be "like".

I hone my knife on a steel after each use anyway, just out of habit. Is it still worth upgrading?