Should I do it, Veeky Forums?

Should I do it, Veeky Forums?

No. You will read less on a kindle desu.

Yes. I love being able to learn about a book, download it, sync up and just then HAVE that book. Pretty dope. Libraries and public domain have ebooks too if you're not about piracy. If you have prime there are a few (not that Veeky Forums) books you can read for free, too. The vocab builder/word look-up/recall feature is amazing and on wifi I've had the wikipedia function be really useful as well. Not amazing for annotating but good for highlighting and also carrying around 1000 books in your back pocket.

I actually find that I barely read anymore. I think I've been corrupted by screens into horrible attention spans and I just can't make it through a physical book unless I have to for a grade. Yet I read tons of shit off of screens without the feeling of labor I get from a physical book.

I don't know man! I'm in the same boat

No. Physical books will always be better than digital ones.

Only if you have a buddy that can keep the password to the Internet browser away from you.

>these things have interent browsers.

What the fuck

I read fine with my Note 3. Kindles and the like are too bulky if I want to read while walking or in public on top of having terrible shit like cloud memory and no internet outside of wifi. On top of that phones have a thousand and one apps for reading. Until these e-readers can be as good as a phone I won't bother.

You think that people in 2017 are going to pay for a device that doesn't have internet access? It's one of the reasons I don't use one of these things. Everyone I know that reads on a kindle spends half the time browsing facebook or something. It's no different from reading on your computer.

>ITT: what is e-ink

Stop listening to all these faggots.

I read non-stop after getting a kindle

Yes they do, stop lying

No, get the high end kobo, as it has a backlight which can display something closer to natural lighting, as opposed to the 12 am gas station fluorescent bulb glow the kindle puts out.

I got myself a cheap kobo (£30). It's great, saves me a lot of money.

I prefer reading from a "real" book, but when you want to read a book that's £99 physical and free from libgen, ereaders come in handy.

I would tell you to buy a Kobo but they fucked up good time by discontinuing their best product.

I don't understand the kobo vs Amazon thing. You have to install koreader on both of them anyway.

They make the best standard e-readers in the marker.

Kobo doesn't fuck you up and doesn't force you to buy books from Amazon.

I've never bought a single book from Amazon. I had a paperwhite for years and just got a kobo aura one recently. The experience is almost exactly the same. You use calibre to put books on and read them.

I went through a phase where I stopped even using my e-reader and just started reading books on my phone screen. Honestly, I think I was reading more when I did this. The only issue was that I'm not sure how engaged I really was with what I was reading. It became something to do when looking at my phone every couple of minutes.

The nice thing to me about an E-reader is that you have to pull out a separate device and pay more attention. Then again, this is true of a regular paper book too, so I don't know. I need to just develop better habits and stop distracting myself with twenty different tabs open on my computer while I type this out while watching a TV show on the other side of my monitor.

I can read a lot when under pressure. I finished a graduate program in literature, but I can't seem to just sit down and read for fun anymore. Before the program, I would read a pretty normal amount, and often I'd take time on the weekends to read a whole book, but now I can't focus on anything long enough.

>I read non-stop after getting a kindle
sounds painful

Which one?

Happy with the aura one? The size worth it?

After some tweaks (installing koreader and everything involved in that), it is much better than I ever imagined it could be. I absolutely hated the kobo firmware that came with it. The sleepcover does whatever it wants and will drain your battery and flip pages. Also they hide options to remove the headers and footers so a lot of your screen isn't being used. Koreader is great though. I probably sound like a shill but it really is that good. I think it's free anyway.

Yeah but supposedly a hassle to install, also sread that you could disable header and footer natively.
Another point of critique was the battery running short.

I think I'll get one, my Kindle 3 pisses me off.

No

physical > digital

It's pretty good. The paperwhite has no web browser that I'm aware of and has a light built in so you can read in the dark if the light may bother your spouse/gf/etc... I use the whispersync with my audible account and it's pretty good; I get through books more quickly. I still read physical books as well; there is not a rule that dictates you have to choose one or the other. It's good for travel too. The built in dictionary is good and terms can be looked up on wikipedia from within the text which is nice. Bewailing the demise of print books, which haven't really lost ground since e-readers came out is pretty fedora tier desu.

I don't know, OP. If you really want to get it nobody is going to persuade you otherwise.

Personally I prefer a physical paperback.

?
I read infinitely more than I did without my Kindle. That being said, books are still nice to have.

I've heard this again, some people recommend the kobo for some reason but does it have a kindle app?

I have a Kobo and it's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. E-readers are insanely good. Having a huge library at your fingertips is so convenient. It also helps that e-readers have some very good built-in functions like dictionary lookup which makes reading some tough books a lot more manageable.

It's not hard to install. Unless you're /sffg/ you'll manage. Actually doing the headers and footers is about the same difficulty. Open a text file and change some 0s to 1s or whatever. The battery also isn't that bad. The sleepcover just makes it seem that way.

Why are these still 120 dollarydoos?

On a serious note, they're the best for travelling. Great battery life, easy on the eyes for flights, take up very little space, and fairly tough.

That is because reading off of regular screens versus a book use different parts of the brain. You are prone to get exhausted with a book if you don't condition that part.

I was reading about it the other day.

I got a nook in December, I loved it and have downloaded 200 books onto it. I've started all of them, but I've only finished 10. Granted two of them were 1000+ pages but still. I'm really bad at concentrating on one book.

source? sound pretty interesting

This. I read a lot more with my kindle. I don't buy books, only pirate them, so that might be the reason.

Kobo Glo HD which is effectively better than the new one.

>UUUU

No, they won't.

>kindle
>not kobo
shig to the dig

>implying there's a difference between the two if you're a piratefag

>get the version with "special offers"
>always keep it on airplane mode so that it never downloads ads
>only sideload books
>mfw getting the cheaper version with ads has only been a positive thing

can you exaplin how you use the vocab builder

this fucking thread again. yes, just do it man.

OP here! I did it, except I bought the cheaper one becau

I had the most use of my e-reader (not kindle) when we had a seminar on Ulysses because it was cheaper as a .epub file and of course didn't weight a ton when I brought it to the seminar.

>browsing facebook on a kindle
You know how I know you're making shit up?

> Bought the one with ads.
> After it arrived, called Amazon by phone
> said I changed my mind, the ads are intrusive
> They removed the ads for free.
> mfw

There is a difference. I own both.

The kindle is faster, more responsive, overall the better experience.

The kobo "bookshelf" is vastly superior. You can group books by series or genre via Calibre. On the kindle you cannot do this via PC, only by hand.

I use only the kindle at the moment. The kobo is in a box.

Rip

Fucking nigger stop fellating the botnet