Are Penguin Classics Shit?

Are Penguin Classics Shit?

Some of them are pretty good, but Oxford generally has better editions. It's just one of those things where you need to do a little bit of research to find out which one better suits your needs.

Also, nice quads.

Yes. If they were as cheap as wordsworth classics their poor quality wouldn't be a problem

They have the only unabridged version of Clarissa so no

no it's a meme. i've had a lot of books lose pages but never a penguin classic.

why do people hate them?

Never had any problems with a Penguin Classic. The covers are soft too so that's nice

Their printing is fucking awful.

Example pls

>Are Penguin Classics Shit?
No.

Nonsense. Penguin Classics are top tier paperbacks, in production, layout, and of course editorial content.

Now, where a public domain classic is out in multiple editions, you may find a version you prefer to the Penguin. But I've never seen a shit Penguin, frankly.

American reporting in here, I might add. I can't speak to what they put out on their home turf.

They're shit in manufacturing quality, not text fidelity. It's targeted to students who want to mark up their books for assignments and throw them away afterwards.

Sometimes the text is smudged on a couple of the pages. Otherwise they're great.

For translations*? Absolutely. Otherwise? Yeah desu but who cares.

*Gilgamesh excepted
I doubt it's any different.

I have a copy of Keats collected poems and the print is all blurry, like the ink's splurged out along the paper, and the paper itself is shit.

no, theyre GOAT

This

Oxford is 10 times better if not 11

They have weird translators though.

example?

I haven't read any translations yet. Only English authors.

I have literally no idea what the quality of their translators is, but for example their Homer is translated by people I've never heard of. Obvs I'm a pseudy shitter, but the fact they're not mainstream names is kinda what I mean.

>I have a copy of Keats collected poems and the print is all blurry, like the ink's splurged out along the paper, and the paper itself is shit.

Are you in the US? I've been buying various Penguin books for decades, and I've never gotten one that's less than impeccable in terms of book production (including spine glue, much less the quality of the printing and paper stock).

I seem to recall reading that Penguins were printed on very cheap paper stock in Britain circa WW2 and after. I know that timeframe wouldn't apply to your Keats, but.

>Are you in the US?
No. But like I said I doubt it's any different.

Yeah that's really the only problem i've ever had with their books, but it's never been too bad.

Do people really care that much about the manufacturing quality of their books? Who cares as long as they are readable in a good format and translation?

I'm pretty gay about penguin classics

But that particular book is good. That translation is the best, certainly better than meme P&V. The only thing that's annoying is having to flip back and forth for explanations rather than having footnotes, but that's a common problem.

This reminds of the one-size-fits-all libraries traveling salesman used to hock. Your dedication is impressive.

They smell weird but are good.

No, they are classics you fucktard.

>Not having a separate better quality Homer.

Fagles is in his grave doing 6000 RPM.

Brother.

Also, OP, one of the premiere colleges for creative writing in the US has a nook full of Penguin Classics in custom cabinets. Put that in your pipe and burn it.

It depends on the edition, the translation and sometimes the size of the novel. A lengthy novel will bound to earn a crease or two in the spine, but their edition of Don Quixote is also pretty damn good so maybe it's worth it.

their main virtue is price, for when it's not convenient to use an e-reader. I used to buy lots of them, but getting a kindle eliminated my need because I don't write in books

mem detect

I saw Pausanias' Travelogue being sold the other day. First time I saw that.

I'm jealous.

Where did you get those busts?

matters for collection purposes. For reading just get the cheapest you can find, read and dogear them, them purchase your faves in hardback

We have to stick together and survive the penguin meme

Barnes and noble sold them at one point for about 20$ Together , but for the price they're sturdy and solid

Are you talking about UGA inside the SLC ?

damn les miz is fucken thicc

They often try to get in-house translators, especially for the Greek and Romans.

(source: having a faculty member as a close friend.)