/chilig/ - Chili General

>no chili thread
preposterous

I fell for the meme and added some dark chocolate to the pot; pot's about 6 L and I added about 60-70g of dark (75%) chocolate to it
didn't find any nice sausages and was too lazy to look further so I threw in some ribs (after browning them), for taste; also some bacon
and yes, also rkb
I'll be having it with some rice tomorrow
and yes, it's in a slow cooker dealwithit

>post your chili recipes
>shitpost about corn
>shitpost about rkb
>shitpost about what peppers to use
>shitpost about pots to use
>post pics of chili
you know the drill

what's your secret chili recipe anons?

chilli is gross but im making a beef stew rite now

onion, carrot, celery, mushroom, beef, rosemary, worchester sauce, water, tomato puree, stock cubes

150c in oven for about 2hrs i guess (is this cheaper than using a gas stove?)

Do beans belong in chili?

>chilli is gross
non
>beef stew
accepted
>in oven
sounds...odd but not crazy, never tried it; I guess if there's no negative difference to the regular stove version why not
otherwise it should turn out to be a good, classic stew

and back to the chili topic, has anyone tried putting celery in the chili? does it work/add some interesting taste to it?

I make a couple different chilis depending on how much time I've got. Simple:
>Ground beef
>Beans or not (kidney, black)
>Onion, garlic (fresh)
>Tomato paste, crushed tomatoes
>Chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, chopped chipotles, bay leaf, paprika
>Long simmer

More time/effort/expense:
>Cubed chuck roast
>Variety of dried chilis, toasted in a dry pan, reconstituted in boiling water, then pureed (ancho, guajillo, arbol, pasilla)
>Onion, garlic (fresh)
>Beer (doesn't really matter, though I usually use something cheap and simple)
>Long simmer

Both are good. In either case always brown the beef.

>worchester

>1 lb ground beef, browned in olive oil
>2 cups diced onions
>1 cup diced celery
>1 cup diced carrots
>1 teaspoon of garlic
>2 teaspoons of salt
>1 teaspoon of black pepper
>1/2 teaspoon of herb d'provence
>1 bay leaf
>1 1/2 to 3/4 liter can of kidney beans
>Same size can of diced tomatoes
>1 red bell pepper, white interior and seeds completely removed, super-finely diced
>Simmer for at least 2 hours
>Serve with marble cheese and tortilla chips

Forgot the chili powder, 3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) of chili powder

> 1 red bell pepper
> super-finely diced
why

Makes it sweet. Removing the white interior removes any bitterness

i see. thankyou

You forgot the chili peppers too, apparently.

Why would you use some lame powder instead of whole peppers? You know, like the name of the dish?

>white interior
>read white inferior
what has this website done to me

but so the celery works, good to know, will use next time
>mfw my chili amounts keep getting bigger
>mfw I'll have enough food for a week
>mfw cooking in bulk

First because chilies and chili powder aren't the same thing - powder is considerably milder and better for making a mild chili.

Second because I cook it for people (my mother and sister) who hate spice.

Third because I don't find that much flavor value from overly spicy foods. It seems like something third worlders did traditionally to not taste meat that's gone bad and carried it forward despite now having access to fresh groceries. It blocks/numbs taste buds and gives your body a negative physical reaction.

Fourth, I only buy and keep a set of fresh ingredients I know I will use within a week, chili peppers are an unnecessary purchase when the powder is non-perishable.

I made a venison chili with part of the deer I killed a few weeks ago that was praised by all.
>70% venison, 30% pork, rough grind
>guajillo, new mexican, arbol, ancho and chipotles toasted and reconstituted in venison stock
>ground toasted cumin and coriander seed
>1 pint of tomatoes
>onion
>garlic
>fresh habanero
>dried pintos soaked overnight and cooked in pressure cooker for 1 hour
>venison stock

>brown meat, remove. Saute onion and habanero, add garlic, cumin, coriander for 1 minute. Blend soaked peppers and tomatoes and add. Add browned meat and venison stock. Add salt to taste. Simmer 3 hours. Add beans for 1 more hour.

We know you're not actually 5'7" Joe Rogan

Is that really basically his recipe? I've never watched or read a single thing by that retard.

Constantly talks about the time he killed a deer. I can't remember exactly but he definitely made venison chili and was proud of it

Powder vs. whole has nothing to do with heat level, you fool. The heat level of a pepper depends on what cultivar it is. Some are hot and some are mild. It's the type of the pepper that matters, not the size of the pieces it is cut into.

Ancho (for example) is going to be mild whether you have whole peppers or powder. A ghost chili is going to be very hot whether whole or powder. You can still make mild chili using whole peppers, just choose mild ones.

>> It seems like something third worlders did traditionally to not taste meat that's gone bad
Nope. The chili peppers are the point of the dish. Chili con carne = chilis with meat. The chilis are the main part of the dish. The meat should be thought of as the "Seasoning", not the other way around.

>>chili peppers are an unnecessary purchase when the powder is non-perishable.
What's stopping you from buying fresh chilis when you buy your meat for the dish? Also, you know that whole, dried, chilis keep forever without refrigeration just like powder does?

>cooking for mom and qt sis

I don't talk about it constantly because it's just standard for me to kill 1 or 2 every year for meat and probably would be for you too if your stand was 150 yards from your house. But given wild venison can be tough, it's perfect for chilis so it just makes sense.

Chili officially done and tasted. Ended up with a bit more liquid than wanted, maybe next time I should skim it off the top every so often

But I think the dark chocolate meme is real, I don't know what to call it, but it's like it has a deeper taste, less tomatoe-y and less sweet (which I like). Also the meat off the ribs was great

Hopefully it thickens up nicely by tomorrow
/comfy/

>chocolate
I've been reading about this for years. I suppose I'll just have to try it now.

Make sure to only use dark chocolate though and don't overdo it. Better to not really notice it than ruining a batch

But I think it really is worth it, that chocolatey bitterness works very well between the heat of the peppers and the meat

Usually I add lots of fresh herbs from the garden as finishing touch. Just when the herbs are about to release dem spices I serve