What books have similar atmosphere to True Detective (season 1)?

What books have similar atmosphere to True Detective (season 1)?

Other urls found in this thread:

whale.to/b/pedophocracy.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Book of disquiet

Bump

My Diary desu

I wish I knew similar detective novels.

Bump.

pizzalatte borrowed a lot from ligotti's conspiracy against the human race

We know, we know, but is about the atmosphere, Fukunaga managed to give an unique one, user is asking if there is something similar in literature, not Pizzaboy's inspiration.

>ligotti
How have I never heard of this guy? Reading through some info on him right now and he seems really good, at least based on what others have to say about him. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

He already recommended, cant you read?

The Part About the Crimes in 2666

I guess I should have said "anything else you'd recommend"

Nietzsche

> Nietzsche
Only if you are 14 y.o. girl.

This is a good question, and I wish someone who was deep into detective and/or mystery fiction would answer it.

Not an answer, but something that distantly has a similar vibe (although absent any hint of a larger conspiracy, among other things) would be the Michael Connelly books where he presses down a little on the spooky pedal (I wish he would press down all the way some time, because he has a knack for it, but he never really has):

The Concrete Blonde
The Poet
Echo Park
A Darkness More Than Night
City of Bones
The Narrows

The devil all the time. Kinda. Book follows three serial killers in the mid west/South of the US. Lots of drinking, pessimistic worldviews, violence, small towns, grue some murders, overly zealous religious people, etc.

I loved the book desu desu.

Honestly, some parts in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle had the same atmosphere.

What happened to season 2?

Moby dicks

too much character + none are really interesting
the plot is gay

bump

This

But God Warrior was best boy in that shitty season.

Anybody read Dexter's books?

>Private Willard Russell had been drinking in the back of the bus with two sailors from Georgia, but one had passed out and the other had puked in their last jug. He kept thinking that if he ever got home, he'd never leave Coal Creek, West Virginia, again. He'd seen some hard things growing up in the hills, but they didn't hold a candle to what he'd witnessed in the South Pacific. On one of the Solomons, he and a couple of other men from his outfit had run across a marine skinned alive by the Japanese and nailed to a cross made out of two palm trees. The raw, bloody body was covered with black flies. They could still see the man's heart beating in his chest. His dog tags were hanging from what remained of one of his big toes: Gunnery Sergeant Miller Jones. Unable to offer anything but a little mercy, Willard shot the marine behind the ear, and they took him down and covered him with rocks at the foot of the cross. The inside of Willard's head hadn't been the same since

Good god lads, True Detective season one is a complete homage to Lovecraft—and yeah, Wikipedia doesn't list him as an influence, maybe because it would take away from the show.

Read "The Call of Cthulhu", it literally has detectives in Louisiana investigating cults. True Detective switched out Cthulhu with The Yellow King. Otherwise it's the same story, sexed up.

And I've looked for the same feel, Lovecraft is the only place I've found it. Ligotti doesn't quite hit it, he's a red herring.

>9
I dont want Lovecraft crap, I want similar det novels

I honestly have no idea how TD and HPL/Call of Cthulhu are remotely comparable other than both featuring detectives in Louisiana at some point. There's nothing overtly supernatural in TD, not to mention that characters are one of its strong points whereas HPL couldn't write characters for shit. Government pedophile cults and Lovecraftian gods aren't really the same.

If only

I guess you haven't read Lovecraft. There is no supernatural in The Call of Cthulhu... You're relying on memes for your opinions.

As for being comparable, the murder cults surrounding a bizarre religion, cults webbed into pockets of society, with mysterious agents preventing investigation & with strange artifacts left by cultists... In Louisiana... Investigated by Detectives... And missing persons... I don't understand why you think they're not the same.

Also for the pedo cults, look into David McGowan here:

whale.to/b/pedophocracy.html

That gives the same feel. Mix that with Lovecraft & you have True Detective.

Dereck Raymond's Factory series is big on macabre underground scene murders in the U.K. He Died With His Eyes Open is the first in the series and a very good thriller.

Teatro Grottesco. He writes pretty much only short stories. The Bungalow House is a pretty great place to start.

Season 2 is better than season 1 even if it's clumsier. It really works if you see it as a Pynchon like work but with edginess instead of humour.

>I guess you haven't read Lovecraft. There is no supernatural in The Call of Cthulhu... You're relying on memes for your opinions.
stop posting.

>season 2 is better
Kill this meme

Okay. I liked season 2 better even if it's worse.

S1 was already terrible wrt writing.

>dude 25 years later I remember that greenhouse
but DUUUUUUDEEEEEEEE on the other side of NOLA -
WAS A MAN WITH GREEN EARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kobo Abe - The Ruined Map

>There is no supernatural in The Call of [supernatural creature]

What did he mean by this?

Pizzolatto's book has a similar vibe mixed with bits of Lolita. It's good.

S2 fetl like a fucking soap opera. Goddamit that end with the girl detective preggo going to Colombia or Argentina? Was this a crossover with Dexter?

cold war thrillers with ridiculous fantasy pinecone elements?

>still hasnt read the short story

Only other person I've met on Veeky Forums tat gets it.

Cthulhu doesn't appear in the story, stupid. It's just a religious cult.

Pic related is basically 'delet this' regarding existence itself and was a main inspiration for the show.

That's a cool interpretation, but it doesn't mean the story doesn't contain the supernatural. It seemed clear to me that even though there's only indirect accounts of cthulu in the story, we're still supposed to believe he's real. I guess we could write it off as "just a cult thing" like most people probably did with carcosa and the yellow king in TD, but that doesn't really fit with Lovecraft's work in general. Plus, if you're going to play that game, then you run the risk of writing off all supernatural stories as just things imagined by the characters

Finally, a solid suggestion. Thanks for the lead.

The King In Yellow is an interesting read that is brought up a bit in the show.

The fuck? What parts are you talking about?

Let's face it: Joji's directing > Pizzalo's writing.

Galveston by the guy who literally wrote True Detective

Ha-ha what. There's no way you've read any Lovecraft. So why are you pretending you have? Anonymously?

I'm not going to stoop to calling you retarded, you probably just haven't read it.

atmosphere is created differently across mediums
true detective built its atmosphere by mise-en-scene, cinematography, and music

there can be only the most tenuous and subjective comparisons. this thread is plebby and pointless.