I get called a pseud a lot because I use big words...

I get called a pseud a lot because I use big words, but I genuinely feel like some words are better at expressing thoughts than others.

What's the point of having all these words if you're only expected to use a select few? Is this a normie complaint for feeling inadequate?

You probably use them when they aren't necessary or in situations that don't call for advanced or obtuse language. That or you use them incorrectly in an attempt to sounds more read than you really are. Or perhaps it's because you don't understand structure do by inserting these words into your sentences you create awkward flow that is jarring to whoever you're interacting with.

Ironic

First may be most likely, but in casual conversation I have to restrict myself from using the words I want because I know others won't understand, this in turn sort of hinders the eloquence in my speech

Statistically speaking, you are probably a pseud. You better pray to God that you are using these "big words" correctly or it will make you appear exponentially more pseud than you already are.

>obtuse
ironic indeed

>Like, I am sooo much smarter than my peers that I have to dumb myself down in front of them. Like for real, I'm a genius or something.

I am. It's less a question about whether I'm using them correctly and more a question of whether I should bother using them at all

Lol, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that my vocabulary is restricted sometimes when I interact with others, and even then when this is rare. Only when I try to explain complex ideas do I feel th need to use all the words at my disposal, which I think is a fair enough sentiment

Get out of my thrad if your not going to be helpful.

Not that user but when in doubt speak plainly.

Talk with people, not at them.

Have you told your peers about their comprehension "problems"?

Get some new friends.

Or be less of a try hard faggot who is always in soapbox mode.

Fair enough, but I'm a journalist, and even then I've been told that I should tone down the verbosity. Like shouldn't different types of writing distinguish itself from others? I feel like if I'm writing an article, there should be no rules as to what words I choose, of course there's a line but I don't believe I'm crossing it just yet

There's a difference between big words and long words.
You've yet to write either.
Big word, is when you use a word that another more common word could just as well replace it with.
Then there are words that don't have these, spooks and brainlets call these big words.
Like, reverberate or acumen.

I imagine if this is a common occurrence for yourself, the case is likely that the overarching content of what you expressing doesn't merit
the words you employ.
Though, It could be that whoever you are speaking with wants to drag you to their level or attack you out of their own inadequacies, so that is a possibility too.

Anyways, your lack of resolve betrays you as belonging to the [pseud] set.

I know you're trying to make a point but that'd just be shitty.

This is more of a general problem

Again, I think you are misrepresenting me.

All of this is up to your personal judgement. I can't speak on how you should be acting in any given situation. If you have an important point to make then make it, but make it brief, and don't feel yourself too much on any issue that you consider yourself to be correct on. Make your point quickly and move on to something else. People don't want to be on the receiving end of a five minute lecture.

Thanks, this is actually quite helpful. I am pretty bad at self awareness sometimes, and I probably can sound like a douche sometimes.

>I know you're trying to make a point but that'd just be shitty.
You shouldn't have to walk on egg shells, user. If they are your friends they will receive criticism in a positive light. If anything, they should thank you after pointing out their weak points.

I'm not perfect with it either. We're all working it out on the fly as we go -- there's going to be a miscommunication or two sometimes, but that's life.

Personally I'd say to opt for a joke instead of a "point" if you can. Only be serious when the tone of the conversation really turns that way and you can sense that it has. Don't be the one trying to force the tone of the conversation that direction all the time, it'll come across as tiresome to people who just want to chill out and have a laugh. And very often a good ability to joke about whatever topic comes your way makes for a far better display of wit and understanding; one that is inclusive and brings people in, not one that puts them at arm's length and forces them sit back and have to listen to you without being emotionally involved in the situation.

Very true, I hadn't really thought about it that way. I think there definitely are times that I try to force the conversation into something it doesn't have to be just to try and showcase my 'intelligence' or whatever. People do like someone they can just chill out with, true. I really needed to hear this. Thanks man

All good, mate. The fact that you're even asking about this means that you're not a douche btw. So don't let it get to you.

Appreciate it sir. Take it easy

>The fact that you're even asking about this means that you're not a douche btw.
Not necessarily true, user. This could easily be viewed as another one of those "I am so smart, help me relate to plebs" threads.

Only trying to put his mind at rest: it's just growing pains. We've all been there.

Is there really even a question here at all? Somewhere in a quiet corner of your mind I think you'll likely find it quite settled.

don't change your words, change your social circle.
the average TV-gobbling pleb has less vocabulary than a well-read ten year old

Gives an excerpt of your speech, then we can determine how socially inept you are

>What's the point of having all these words if you're only expected to use a select few?
what's the point of using them if nobody can fucking understand what you're saying either?

>>obtuse
>"big word"

How to spot a brainlet.

>I'm a journalist
Shouldn't that make it even more important that you make your language clear, direct, and easily understood? You're not writing to an audience you can expect has a college education. What you might consider normal language is just big words to at least half the population (of the US anyway).

You've been colonized by grEEK memes. De-colonize your mind and stop fetishizing Greek and Latin.

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink."