Can anyone give me a list of "Must Read" books on the Occult?

Can anyone give me a list of "Must Read" books on the Occult?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/EricPattonPsi/status/881013262371790850
arfalpha.com/ScienceOfBreath/ScienceOfBreath.pdf
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Secret Teachings of All Ages - Manly P Hall

The Rosicrucian Enlightenment - Frances Yates
Freemasonry and the Birth of Modern Science - Robert Lomas

Yates' Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition, for that matter
Fiction would include Huysmann's FABULOUS La Bas, and Meryinck's The Golem.

Harry Potter - the Philosopher's Stone

I've been practicing for about 20 years, here are my favorite introductions:

Magick in Theory & Practice

The Magical Revival

SSOTBME

how good is this? the name makes me feel like i will get really memed

SSOTBME?

Are all of these books Satanic? Will I go to hell if I read them?

probably

first reply best reply

twitter.com/EricPattonPsi/status/881013262371790850

got damn ok....chill breh

stuff by John Dee

This guy is a meme. Occult threads on Veeky Forums are always horrible. /x/ is even worse.

Oh God /x/ just gets worse every day

>tfw ur third eye is awakened and u still call yourself a "mainstream republican"

>Thank you, I have the best fans. My brand is simply too weird and esoteric to be copied.

Thanks Twitter fanssss!

This guy is such a huckster.

I suppose, St. John of the Cross - Dark Night of the Soul

Reason being its best to get a handle on what happens to those who seek to come into contact with strong cosmic forces.

Most would-be occultists are mental weaklings that only want to fulfill petty material desires.

They don't realize theres a price to be paid for fucking with the psychic limits set forth by nature for the common man. Many dabblers can't handle it and self-destruct their lives. The effects are both experienced inwardly and manifest in external life as well. Consider it a test or trial of your worthiness to stand above the common man.

One occult maxim to keep in mind is that if you step forward with a shitty purpose in mind, you get shit on hard in return. Works composed by those who devote themselves to God or a higher purpose tend to have practical insights into mitigating this.

book of enoch

Wow...great list of books, thanks
I bet he knows more than you.
What am I selling, retard?

Kurt Seligmann's History of Magic (also called Mirror of Magic)
Grillot de Givry's Witchcraft, Magic and Alchemy
Both are very comprehensive, well illustrated books on the subject, and are both online if you know where to look.

Occultism is only worth reading historically imo - all the functional bits of Hermeticism, Alchemy and Neo-Platonism became the physical sciences as we know them today. Good stuff to read though for a fuller understanding of the history of science. Neo-Platonic ideas are still worth examining though.

>all the functional bits of Hermeticism, Alchemy and Neo-Platonism became the physical sciences as we know them today
kek bluepilled as fuck. Get the fuck outta here.

Liber Kaos by Peter Carroll
Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Moby Dick (seriously, do it faggot)
Psychedelic Shamanism by Jim DeKorne
The Master Game by Robert DeRopp

Once you've read all that stuff, you're good to get the most out of the voluminous bullshit spewed out by all the stuff before and after those.

I'm no expert but I recommend Solomonic Grimoires (Mathers, Peterson) for basic context of demonology. Once you page through these things + the internet you get where Lavey, for example, got some of his ideas and sources from (shemhamforash, I'm not spelling it quite right but I can't be fucked now).

Crowley's "book of the law" is also an extremely short thing which can be consumed rapidly and should therefore be done since it gives you some historical context and it's no big personal loss to you if you just write it off as bullshit - Crowley is a big meme so it's worth knowing a bit about him. There is a tripfag who is big on occult literature and if you use Veeky Forums or /x/ with any regularity you'll find one of his threads at some point - I know a bit about Crowley but he knows a lot more and actually does spoopy magickal shit and is much more knowledgeable about same-he regularly posts a dump-bin where you can go to look for occult lit.

The other thing about Crowley is that his writings actually do go back into other traditions. In particular, some of Crowley's articles in his "Equinox" magazine" explicitly reference John Dee and Enochian magic, something I've done a little research about, to the point of writing an elaborate pdf (pic related) which is partially based upon Crowley's article, citing Dee and the Enochian alphabet, Enochian magic, etc. In his /Satanic Bible/, LaVey uses these exact same "calls", or keys, from this Crowley article, and slightly repurposes them (changing a word here and there) to be all-about his modern version of Laveyan satanic worship.

I'll be in hell if you need me.

yes / yes

Ooh are you the keeper of the secret knowledge of the ages? Do reveal your mysteries to me O great thaumaturge! Wow so mystical and mystyerious lol

Fuck off.

You clearly have never read any occult literature, so why do you even post anything, let alone a post pretending to know what you are talking about, in a thread about a guy asking for occult literature? Fuck outta here.

Nah I've read plenty dude. I also left a few dope book recommends for OP, like MPH among others. Why so hostile?

id also like to know why you speak so arrogantly. you dont hold up a good argument. just "i recommended MPH, ur so bluepilled, fuck outta here"

i know personally absolutely nothing about the occult, but if i did i would never try and argue with someone without actually explaining why i disagree

Holy kek why do Americans put their onions in the cupboard?

Those are shallots you pseud

how's this?

Goddammit
No two people in this thread recommended the same book! Even the chart doesn't have anything anyone else posted. What the fuck.

Are there just 30,000 occult books and they're all equally well-regarded?? How am I supposed to know where to start?

MPH's Secret Teachings of All Ages is like a compendium of all the western and some eastern esoteric traditions, it's a great place to start because it broadly covers a little bit of everything in dedicated chapters. So pick the topic you want to read on, say Kaballah, and there is a chapter on it which will introduce you to the topic. You can read it online, but its worth getting a hard copy imo, beautiful illustrations.

Just fucking start m8 wherever you like, you ain't going to die

Watch /Styx/.

Prometheus Rising seems like bullshit. No way am I going to spend 6 months thinking about if I was responsible for making a fucking quarter appear on the quarter was there in the first place without my doing.

did anyone else skip them?

I briefly looked over Prometheus Rising. It seemed like bullshit to me.

start with meditation, all beginners introductions agree on this point.

I'm just gonna waste a lot of time on some niche or nonsense

I mean all of occult stuff is niche nonsense but still I wanna learn the basic ideas behind it

NO
CROWLEY

This list is shit. Whoever made it had joined wicca for a week and thought they were the master of the occult. Even the translations are awful

i mean, common sense would dictate sticking to the historical occult and alchemist texts (John Dee, Paraclesus, Polinius, Fulton, Bruno) because a lot of this stuff rehashes that

I'd be satisfied to even get a taste that "cosmic forces" are even real, instead of manifestations of brain chemistry.

I'd love to get punished by cosmic forces if I realized it as an actual force.

>inb4 the only replies to this are "Be careful what you wish for"

Just give yourself self induced schizophrenia and then everything will be real to you.

>self-induced schizophrenia

tell me how and let's get this show on the road

There is a way.

So it is all just brain chemistry?

I would imagine. When /x/ talks about astral projection and other occult "sciences" it usually involves the mind and seeing with your "third eye". I'm willing to believe that people who undergo occult training and end up failing hard become schizophrenics.

No such thing as self-induced schizophrenia.

The only occult book a normal, rational, non-crazy pesron might get any use out of is Prometheus Rising

Just finished it recently. It really is great. Still haven't found a quarter in the street though.

Many people into the occult are mentally ill, go on /x/ and you'll see.

On the other hand meditation can legit give you weird experiences safely, it makes your brain do crazy shit, so give it a try.

What's the quickest path to weird meditative experiences

>i know personally absolutely nothing about the occult, but if i did i would never try and argue with someone without actually explaining why i disagree
So if you know nothing, then don't post your retarded opinion pretending you do. Post your recommendations, sure, but don't act like you know shit because you are the one that reeks of arrogance. Alchemy for example is much more than just le chemistry of old times. It's main component is a spiritual one, it's not just about some dudes mixing shit hoping to make gold out of lead, that's surface level shit that you get from watching Neil Degrasse Tyson videos.

find a guru. if you're practicing from books you will necessarily progress slower. you can keep a journal to structure you practice and record insights to make it slightly quicker.

Based Styx will show you the way

The ingestion of psychedelics is indisputably the quickest and easiest path to mystical experiences.

There are 2 ways if you are interested. First is the painful way which is easy and most often leads to self-destruction. Those who ruin their subtle bodies through drug use and/or align themselves with malefic entities through ritual work for selfish ends, fall into that category.

The second is devotion to a higher purpose at the expense of self-interest. There is no mindset more powerful than this in the entire world. All esoteric traditions which have stood the test of time agree that turning away from the outer world in exchange for mediation upon the inner world is the supreme means of contact with higher or cosmic forces.

This is what is meant of purification of mind (e.g. dharma, the tao, or devotion to God), because the less one is concerned or desirous of material things in the outer world, the more one is attuned to and connected with the macrocosmic reality (and energy) which lies beyond the limited confines of the microcosmic individual mind (i.e. ego).

Based Tarl.

Almost all of these books have meme titles and trash looking cover art.
Are there any books that are more... scholarly? Or are they all title-bait "SECRET!!!!" trash?

What are you interested in?

Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, Vedic, Yogic, Tantric... I've covered most of these traditions.

The point of the occult is partly to get acquainted with some esoteric knowledge of symbols and parables and partly to be able to use the knowledge practically. The former is literally accessible most anywhere and the latter is seen as some form or other of meditation. The two mixed together fundamentally change the way through which you interpret the world and live within it, if you desire it. I'm not venting it or any experience you'd receive performing any rituals or whatever, it just tends to refine your associative or analogical abilities. I wouldn't call it self-induced schizophrenia in the sense that schizophrenia is a fracture of the psyche whilst anything to do with traditional occult theory/hermeticism/religion will have some form of uniting of the mind/body at its base. In that sense, perhaps the best thing to do is to meditate, the rest of ceremonial magick or ritualism being a spatial extension of the sensed experienced that meditation entails.

Here's a list of the A.:.A.:. , being the order instigated out of the OTO and promoted by Aleister Crowley after leaving the Golden Dawn.

www(.)geocities(.)ws/nu_isis/readinglist.html

Section 1 and 2 of the first course is what's most appropriate for you, the rest being A.:.A.:. material.

I also recommend reading:
The Graeco-Egyptian Magical Papyri by Skinner
The First book of Liber ABA by Crowley
The Hermetic Tradition by Evola
The Way of the Pilgrim
Names of Gods by Ernst Cassirer
Gutenberg Galaxy by McLuhan
Mythology/Religious works
Anything pertaining to Anthropology of Ritual/Religion
Jung's commentary on the Golden Flower
The Golden Flower
Sickness unto Death

The other books mentioned in this thread are nice. You'll quickly be submerged by a lot of information and you'll have to choose yourself or employ some coincidental means.

Demian by Hesse tells you what you need to know about the occult i.e. waste of time, that organist nigga has some insights like the shit with abraxis but then gets so caught up in the obscure bullshit that protagonist is like "later bro" on that shit cuz after a certain point it just becomes larpy fag shit

you were always going to hell, user

no u

Everything you will ever experience is brain chemistry. Why does that surprise you? Why does that make it less magical to you?

underrated post

Read The Science of Breath. It will teach you the basic techniques required through a progressive series of simple excercises:
arfalpha.com/ScienceOfBreath/ScienceOfBreath.pdf

Link to the mega library:
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

It all depends what your interest / approach is. MPH is a good place to start though.

This list is good for maintaining a healthy critical/skeptical approach: , and Prometheus Rising is a must read under all circumstances.