Fuck me Veeky Forums. My freezer just died on me while I was out of the house and a fuckton of meat is thawed...

Fuck me Veeky Forums. My freezer just died on me while I was out of the house and a fuckton of meat is thawed. At most it's been thawed 1&1/2-2 hours. Is it still safe to cook or do aI have to chuck it all out?

Other urls found in this thread:

fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/refrigeration-and-food-safety/ct_index
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Foods held at temperatures above 40 °F for more than 2 hours should not be consumed.\

fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/refrigeration-and-food-safety/ct_index

How do people defrost stuff then? I take out ground meat out of the freezer and leave it on the counter for a few hours.

Damn it hard for me to say without being there. If it's been below 40 for 4 or more hours (and you can refreeze within that 4) then yes. If you have to ask this question then no, it's not worth your life. If you don't think you can save it, pitch it.

It is mandatory that all members of the FDA board have brown eyes because they're full of shit and random figures; usually on the payroll and favor of Kraft. Look it up.

???? I do that all the time for more than 2 hours and I'm not dead yet.

The nose knows. Give it a sniff.

They mean an the food itself needs to be above 40 degrees. If you leave it on the counter, it'll be a bit before the edges of the food rise above 40.

The safest way to defrost food is to leave it in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerators are kept below 40.

>im going to waste food because of what some stupid website says
yeah im p sure when primitive people starved in the wilds they threw out meat lmao

if it aint got maggots or mould its safe 2 eat
just cook all of it

>mfw all the food in my grocery store has been at 40+ for months

>Pathogenic bacteria can grow rapidly in the "Danger Zone," the temperature range between 40 and 140 °F, but they do not generally affect the taste, smell, or appearance of a food. In other words, one cannot tell that a pathogen is present.

Was going to say this. They say it's ok to refreeze thawed product.

Went ahead and double checked.

Seriously this. If you want to salvage anything do it now; anyone who knows even the basics of mathematics knows that shit that will multiply will do it in larger quantity etc etc etc.

Refreeze shit and analyze it later. Or figure out whether or not it's worth that gamble of a hospital trip. Beef is safer but I'm not sure I'd deal with other items. Larger cuts are safer because the frozen core is keeping the exterior cooler but I can't judge that. Chuck it in the freezer then make a decision.

You guys should read this more carefully. You can only refreeze meat after you cook it. Do not refreeze raw meat, as this user appears to be suggesting. OP, if it smells OK then it should be good. Cook it all and store the leftovers either in the fridge, or freezer. But since your freezer is fucked now you don't have many options.
Community BBQ time!

Retard
>If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

You can't refreeze something unless it has been thawed.

You should learn to read, it doesn't need to be fucking cooked. As long as the meat has been thawed properly it doesn't matter.

>You can only refreeze meat after you cook it. Do not refreeze raw meat
You can refreeze raw meat, IF and only IF you defrosted it in the refrigerator. If you defrosted it by leaving it on the counter, in the microwave, or using the water method, then it is not safe to refreeze unless you cook it first.

Sorry hit post before finishing my post.

The reasoning for why you should only refreeze meat if it was defrosted in the refrigerator, is that it has never gone above a safe temperature. Defrosting meat on the counter, in the microwave, or by sitting it in a bowl of cold water is perfectly safe if you are going to cook the meat after it if defrosted. But there is the possibility that the meat, or part of the meat has gone above the safe temperature. That is why you should not refreeze it.

eh, I've refroze meat I was planning to make the next day and left it out on the counter for over 2 hours. I don't think it ever reached 40F as the shit was still hard as a rock. The surface ice melted though.

I can't recommend eating it unless you took a temperature reading under 40°F or took one above and knew without a doubt how long the meat has been in that range. I do meat wholesale to restaurants and have had coworkers chimp out because i will fucking shovel all the meat on their blocks into the garbage if they leave that shit sitting too long.

>I don't think it ever reached 40F as the shit was still hard as a rock. The surface ice melted though.
That is a bad habit to get in to. If the surface ice melted there is a chance the surface did get to or above 40. It is risky, but it is a low risk.
I am a bit over cautious, but I figure why risk it. I always defrost meat that I am not going to cook the same day in the fridge, just in case plans change.

(Me)
Retracted.

All I saw was:
>After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods.
But didn't see the bold text.

Still. Unless OP can find another freezer in a hurry he hasn't much option other than to cook it all. So real question is whether it's safe right now to do that. IMO.

I'm gonna go ahead and draw attention to those deliciously defrosted digits.

>fahrenheit

I wonder who's behind this post