Why are mental illnesses so prevalent in modern western society? I don't want to start an /r9k/ thread...

Why are mental illnesses so prevalent in modern western society? I don't want to start an /r9k/ thread, it's just something I've noticed. Human psyche is so fickle

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Increased sex hormones, widespread social dysfunction, toxic pop culture, feminism, single mothers, shit education system, pollution, atheism, demons.

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc.

>society represses instincts
>instincts must express themselves in some form
>sometimes channel themselves into mental illness
>therefore the more oppressive society becomes, the more prevalent mental illnesses become
plus they're always coming up with bullshit new age mental illnesses

How is pop culture toxic? There's something really off about it and I agree with you but I can't put my finger on it

Saving Normal by Allen Frances
Crazy like Us Ethan Watters

It's toxic because it is bad for you.

Yeah, I get that. But what exactly DOES make pop culture bad?

Ignore the legumes with a pulse.
The only real answer is:
*Better diagnosis of mental illnesses.

That's more like half an answer.
The full answer is:
"Better diagnosis of mental illnesses leading to a social acceptance and popular indulgence in being mentally ill."

Uhh themes of hypersexualization and stuff

re-enforcing self-destructive behavior

I can't tell if you're trolling or not but maybe you should clarify what you mean by "pop culture" if you want your question to get some traction.
Right now you're like an impotent toddler thrashing around on the floor whining for someone to pick you up. Stand up straight and ask your fucking question like god damned man jesus christ

>Right now you're like an impotent toddler thrashing around on the floor whining for someone to pick you up.
Roasted hard
Too bad that my mental illness is having no self-worth
You can't put down what's already on the ground
Dabbin on you

Ok...
I'm not trying to roast you I just wish people would put more thought into their questions.

It's like you think the whole point of having a question is "coming from a place of not knowing" so therefore "I don't have to try at all" and can just blast your question out like a fart without any attempt to craft it or make it meaningful.

Roast again by a surprisingly insightful post this time
Let me rephrase my question then:
"Why do you people consider mainstream pop culture like Hollywood, YA and other surface level media harmful and toxic?"

Well mental illness carries with it a large amount of socially construction.

It shouldn't surprise you that humans who lived in groups of 250 maximum for several hundreds of thousands of years, suddenly get depressed when they live in large urban metropolises where they don't know anyone.

Because we live off rape and murder but it didn't result in any freedom and now we're going to literally destroy the planet and kill everyone

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

"Many [female rats] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organization of the animals showed equal disruption. ...

The common source of these disturbances became most dramatically apparent in the populations of our first series of three experiments, in which we observed the development of what we called a behavioral sink. The animals would crowd together in greatest number in one of the four interconnecting pens in which the colony was maintained. As many as 60 of the 80 rats in each experimental population would assemble in one pen during periods of feeding. Individual rats would rarely eat except in the company of other rats. As a result extreme population densities developed in the pen adopted for eating, leaving the others with sparse populations.

... In the experiments in which the behavioral sink developed, infant mortality ran as high as 96 percent among the most disoriented groups in the population."

I think you are being too general.
Pop culture is an obvious target for all sorts of resentment because it's so prevalent, but it's hard to nail down exactly what it is because when you use the term "pop culture" you are talking about A LOT of different things. You're talking about Toby Keith, Tupac, The Walking Dead, Harry Potter, America's Got Talent, the NFL, et cetera. Can you say all of that stuff has anything in common other than having widespread appeal?

So if you can't figure out a meaningful categorization for "pop culture" other than "shit that's popular" then it's kind of hard to give a simple answer for why people object to it.

Now, I could give you some common objections that occur a lot, such as hypersexualization, glorified violence, not being "high brow" enough, but again that is by no means exhaustive.

>10000000

You're such a smug pedantic faggot, holy shit, neck yourself cocksucker.

He mad guise
He mad

>Right now you're like an impotent toddler thrashing around on the floor whining for someone to pick you up

No, this person is just asking a question. They didn't put forth the assertion that "pop culture is causing mental illness", the other poster did. This dude just wants that poster to explain why this might be so.

Dysgenics is the real answer

Oh sorry, didn't realize that human being were identical to rats. That probably explains why I love cheese so much too.

Pathetic

t. mentally ill

How did a person of your honeyed words stumble upon Veeky Forums? I have a feeling that might be a better fit.

Capitalists have deliberately induced chronic acedia in all people, which, unless we resist, erodes us until we die.

You do realize that what used to be classified for example "hysteria" is now often diagnosed (and justifiably so) as someone being bipolar, or having a similar mental illness?
It is what happened with vaccines and autism as well. As the amount of vaccines used increased, autism "increased" too, merely because it got diagnosed more often.

No man it's DA JOOZ