Is chef the fedora of professions?

Is cooking just a meme?

It seems to add very little, but takes a LOT of time and resources.

I don't mean just preparing food to be safe and easier to eat (i.e. - roasting chicken or steaming veggies) but adding spices, decorative slicing or, the fedora of the chefs world - plating.

All this, I think, is allowing people to not contribute anything of value, but still claim that they have.

So, aside from food safety and preservation, the only gain seems to be in making food more tasty.

Just what a fat world should NOT be valuing...

cooking tasty food makes bulking and cutting easier. It also increases your overall quality of life. These things should be valued.

cooking tasty food or bland food should achieve the same results regarding bulking and cutting.

'Quality of Life' argument sounds like you saying you need your tendies to be tasty.

You don't. No-one does.

t. spotted a fatty

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE

???
this thread is pure autism

you're pathetic and you should kill yourself

Spices can come with a lot of benefits. You literally just dump that shit on, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Sure if you're happy eating bland food, just bake a plain chicken breast every night and eat it. easy and quick, etc.
For me though, since I cut out regular soda and candy a long time ago, I like getting really flavorful experiences without needing sugar or sweets, so I like to experiment with different spices and sauces. I dont worry about fancy plating so much but still.

Also, some spices contain micro nutrients that you dont need a lot of, but its still good to get

You mean because I don't value your artistic contribution to food?

How many hours have you wasted grinding and blending spices? Would you have gotten more out of those hours if you deadlifted with them?

Would you value mixing spices over cardio?

>if you're happy eating bland food
Again, I understand that everyone reports improved happiness from getting tasty dinners. We all also tell our Moms that all those hours in the kitchen were worthwhile.

I just don't think it is worth much beyond that.

Who here would choose a bland meal and a good blowjob, over the best meal in town?

>prefering the taste of shit when you can spend an extra 2 minutes to excite your taste buds
Literal shit taste. Mommy must not have cooked for you growing up

>make healthy bland food (grilled chicken and brocolli) taste amazing
>it's a meme

pick one

>hurr adding a pinch of herbs/spices iz hard
>He doesn't add garlicto his meals instantly improving the flavour and nutritional value
>muh bland foods is manlier

Brainlet and manlet detected

>Who here would choose a bland meal and a good blowjob, over the best meal in town?
ah yes, what a totally reasonable hypothetical

Would you rather have a $100 gift certificate to home depot, ride a horse, and a bowl of nachos, or half of a nice meal from some asshole who literally rapes children?

>How many hours have you wasted grinding and blending spices?
You know you can just buy them in shakers right? Literally takes like 1 minute a week to season your food if you meal prep.

And yeah, some people get really into it and sink needless time into it, but if they didn't sink that time into enjoying cooking they'd just sink it into enjoying something else. It's a hobby.

>How many hours have you wasted grinding and blending spices?
I know no one who has actually made their own spice blend, nor do I know anyone who has grinded their own. Maybe whole nutmeg or vanilla bean, but even then I really only know one or two people.

>Would you have gotten more out of those hours if you deadlifted with them?
How shitty of a chef do you have to be to spend literal hours cooking? One of my go-to's is like 20 minutes max cook time.

>cooks bland meal for girl
>doesn't get a blow job

>cooks delicious meal for girl
>gets blowjob

The latter scenario is faaaar more likely

I mean obviously it doesn't have any inherent worth unless you literally make a living as a chef or something, but some people enjoy it. I spend about an hour each day preparing food between breakfast lunch and dinner, and I enjoy it. I dont feel like it's time wasted. Im not a gym bro so it's time I would most likely be spending on Veeky Forums anyway, and I feel like it's more productive than that.
I also feel like it's a good skill to cultivate. Everyone respects someone who can cook well for their family, friends, dates. Not to mention it's a huge part of our culture. Humans have cooked for thousands of years and food, along with it's preparation, are something we all share. In a way it connects you with the past and the future

But if you don't like it, there's no reason to spend as much time on it.

are you genuinely fucking retarded?

To Gordon Ramsey, yeah

It'd make more sense to get her to blow you before the meal. That way she doesn't have to sully her taste buds with dick dessert, and you don't have to deal with stray chilli flecks lodged in your urethra.
Just make something that smells great enough for her to take the leap, it's a trust building exercise.

Time spent adding all those spices to food is gold. You could use that gold to get other things.

I cook for about an hour every week (total). Most people spend more than that every day. It's a HUGE difference we are talking about, and no-one NEEDS tastier foods...it is all for 'art' (whatever that is)

You don't bribe her with it. You cook her a delicious meal and she is so happy and turned on by the fact that you can cook that she initiates it.

>uses the tme argument
>Is posting about how precious his time is on a Nigerian grain trading forum

you got me.

faggot.

Here is your (You)

This. You clearly aren't some CEO where every minute is thousands of dollars potentially lost or gained.

I genuinely have no idea what could have prompted such an attitude. Are you ok? You seem to be personifying the "meme/fedora/beta" thing really hard. Is it an insecurity thing? If you reply with some tasteless archaic one-off about how alpha you are or some shit, It'll only confirm it to me.

Your are stupid.

Are you kidding me?
Do you know how wet girls panties get to see a fit man provide and cook a delicious meal for her?

Knowing how to cook saves allot of money. Knowing how to make soups and bread easily is invaluable.

You should be gassed, knowing how to cook dosnt mean doing faggot shit like on those netflix cooking shows. It’s making huge servings of meat for yourself so you can easily bulk healthily and practice for having allot of kids.

You strike me as a nigger. Are you black? Be honest.

>have odd assortment of foods left in the house. Not the right stuff for conventional meal
>make soup using the ingredients left
>turns out delicious

Is there a better feeling (besides a pump)

Hide black threads.

Not as a bribe, more like a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. It just seems a shame to wash down a nice meal with a salty load.

wtf is wrong with you fucking autist

Right! Just did that! I started using cuts of veggies I would have thrown away and just adding them to my bag of frozen chicken bones, you can stuff like that to make stock multiple times.

If this is the case, does OP just eat unflavored protein powder and supplement with a good multivitamin? Why bother with anything beyond that if it accomplishes the same thing?

Inb4 can’t argue with autism...

>You could use that gold to get other things.
What, scratching my ass? It's a matter of minutes when you're busy cooking anyway, you're not going to go off and do fucking deadlifts while the oven's on.
You don't need to be courting fucking MasterChef to fling a spice or two into your food when you check on it.
If those two minutes are so precious, why the fuck are you wasting precious time posting here?

this is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read

what the hell are you even talking about

you must be a really fun person to be around

If you don't like tasty food, why don't you just go drink a bunch of soylent

People (yes, even non-fatties) are willing pay good money to have some good food with nice plating, which means that these people value the contribution of the chef. A good chef creates a lot of value that people willingly pay for without coercion. So what do you do for a living that adds so much value to society since you want to frame it in those terms?

>nobody has mentioned the fact that being an amazing chef is a great way to get chicks to fuck you

fucking amateurs

see

>You mean because I don't value your artistic contribution to food?

Culinary arts are the most important part in a nation's/ethnos' culture, it is the single most impactful cultural practise besides religion.
It affects your health, your longevity, your growth, your mood, all of it.
Stop being a fedorafaggot.

I'm fine, thanks. Just don't see the value everyone else sees in cooking.

As to 'alpha', I doubt I am, really. I am more of a people-pleaser, and genuinely think there is something hugely wasteful about making every bite taste good.

I mean, is it fuel, or joy?

...maybe because it validates their contribution.
Providing food is very valuable. Seasoning it, less-so.
Not that I know of.

Cooking isn't bad, but 'cheffing' is fucking hilarious. It's the 'gender studies' of the trades.

I have considered 'soylent', but it looks expensive.

I eat a lot of beans, a lot of veggies, and a bit of meat. I use spices, too, but just don't see the value in it that everyone else does.
If you aren't a fucking idiot, chicks will fuck you anyway. (their standards are shockingly low, as you would see if you looked)
>It affects your health, your longevity, your growth, your mood, all of it.

So how does adding flavour affect your longevity? Are you going to say 'quality of life' like a fatty? Or do you actually gain something tangible?

why does enjoying your food make you a fatty?
eating is something you do every day, multiple times a day. Why does it bother you that some people enjoy it? I spend 15 minutes making dinner. at that point, I might as well spend an extra 5 seasoning it and making it 5x more enjoyable.

If you don't get the same pleasure from it, and see it as just "fuel", then don't do it, but why do you care of other people do it?

Why can't it be fuel and joy?

>So how does adding flavour affect your longevity?
You know where flavour comes from, right? It's not an abstract entity that you add to food. It's ingredients, preparation methods, etc. All of which greatly impact the health benefits and detractors of a meal.

Because of all the wasted time. It's like a potlach to see who can put the most effort in to each bite.

Plus, it seems to be a taboo subject. Even the suggestion that cooking beyond food safety is a waste triggers fatties.

Makes you think...

'Flavour' comes from your (Canadian) fuzzy mental state. It changes how food tastes, but not at all its macro or micro-nutrient content.

You keep saying it improves your 'health' though...HAES could probably help you create better arguments for your side, though...

wasted time? it takes literally 1 extra minute at most to season a meal. I usually season it in the pan when im waiting for it to cook so really no extra time.

and nobody gives a fuck about the effort. everyone would rather eat a meal that was delicious and takes 2 minutes than a gross one that took an hour.

By seasoning food properly you add enough trace ammounts of minerals/vitamins in order to avoid deficiency.
That's one benefit of actually learning how to cook.
There's also the benefit of not depending on shit foods from the grocery store that are all loaded with useless shit to make up for the taste.
The peoples that cook the best are also the least fat in the first world.
America is the fast food centre of the world, uk is the takeaway centre of the world.
Italy, spain and france are not, and it shows in the average bf% of those respective nations.
Stop being a fedorafaggot and let people enjoy the food they eat and learn how to cook themselves instead of relying on snack bars or foods full of additives.

Enjoying your meal is just a meme goyim. Drink this Soylent and keep on working hard.

By this retard-tier logic listening to music or watching movies is a waste of time as well

>'Flavour' comes from your (Canadian) fuzzy mental state. It changes how food tastes, but not at all its macro or micro-nutrient content.
...What the fuck are you even saying?

Are you suggesting that the ingredients you put together have no impact on taste or nutrition? That whether you chargrill it or slowly poach it has nothing to do with taste or nutrition?

One of my best friends is a chef, he's going up way north to work for half a year or so and make a shit ton of money while living practically for free, then go and do some shit like climb mt. everest when he comes home. I swear chefs are insane, the workload they get is absurd. He said he worked 220 hours in 3 weeks.
It's not an easy job, definitely.

>I don’t possess the competence to make food taste good
>therefore being able to cook a steak in a marinade is stupid because you’re not getting anything extra out of it
Imagine being this childish. You can tell his father never taught him anything, maybe his mother showed him how to fry eggs.

you know you can just grind a cup of each spice at a time and store them away in seperate containers for up to a year of future use? you DID consider that, right?

So what do you do for fun, OP?

shitpost on Veeky Forums

Did a dyel chef bang your oneitis? Cause that would explain everything goin on with you OP.

confirmed this
OP got cucked by a soyboy chef

>everyone would rather eat a meal that was delicious and takes 2 minutes than a gross one that took an hour
Of course we would.

If you meant 2 minutes to make a gross meal vs 1 hour to make a delicious one, that IS the waste I describe.

So an hour every day, just to make it taste better? Can't you just eat it anyway, and do something more productive with your time?

Like exploring a weird food taboo on a Canadian blanketcrusting forum?

I'm not talking about nutrition, I'm specifically talking about all the other flourishes.

I don't have to eat 'shit foods', because I understand nutrition. (real food, no supplements, good health and satisfying meals) I occasionally eat those things you mention, but they don't really do anything positive for me...
Maybe save me time occasionally.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you not be allowed to enjoy your seasoning party, Just don't expect me to respect those efforts much.

It is. I recently read the Republic, and they place high importance on poetry in their discussion. Not in the way I would have expected.

Worse than a waste of time, if I understand them correctly.

I am a good cook, though it's been a long time since I tried to do it in a commercial setting. I can make a steak taste great, with just heat. I can also add an hour or so of effort (between selecting the best sides and spending more time marinading/blending and crushing spices etc.) and make it taste better.

After an hour or so, nearly all of it turns to shit anyway, so what did I gain?

I prefer my flavours as fresh as possible, but you might not notice the difference.

Many of the people I love most love to cook. I got pretty good at it, and don't bother mostly, because I just need to eat. I don't need a mouthgasm every bite. I used to, but I changed when I shed the fat/fattitude.

Is it worth more than a fine landscape watercolor painted onto a square of toilet paper, admired, then flushed?

yea but were not suggesting you take an hour instead of two minutes. YOU'RE suggesting we take 15 minutes instead of 20 minutes and eat food that tastes way worse, so we can save 5 minutes a day and shitpost on Veeky Forums some more?

>DYEL LARPer tries to seem cool on Veeky Forums
Yup, it's January allright

You wont answer. Why is enjoying food, something you have to do every day, a fat mentality? pretty much everyone enjoys eating, including skinny ot fit individuals

I'm not DYEL. I don't lift at all, really.

I run, and am fit as fuck probably.

you literally proved yourself wrong when you had to add a blowjob to the bland meal to make it appealing. delet this thread

Not quite what I said, but it is because it isn't just a nice thing to have a great meal now and then...

it seems that for some, everything NEEDS to taste awesome.

It's exhausting. I sometimes eat a can of beans without heating it.

Sometimes spend a 10 man-hours on chicken and potatoes.

>hours wasted grinding and blending spices
here, user demonstrates his lack of culinary knowledge

this.
>made braised lamb with some mustard based sauce before my girl came over
>she practically slid out of her chair she was so wet

everyone has eaten a shitty meal from fuckin 7-11 because they're in such a rush. but if you have the choice between a good meal and a bad meal, for about the same amount of time spent. you're suggesting choosing the bad one.

Not at all. I'm suggesting that, once you get the desired nutrients, you can stop pissing time away without losing anything.

Like, for the most part, you could toss all the spices out, and the mortar & pestle, rid yourself of the sauces...and not really miss out on anything but having your feed be more tasty.

>bribe
you have some fucked perceptions of sex, man. if anything, it's more of a recognition of effort expenditure that causes a corresponding expenditure on her part
warm up some tendies in the microwave? she'll probably blow you for a bit until you hear "my jaw hurts babe"
light some candles and pair a nice red wine with some bomb steak and seasoned potatoes? she'll suck your dick and do that other thing you really like

Traditionally men would hunt and provide food, but in the last few hundred years, "being in the kitchen" has become the woman's role because men's work is no longer hunting, but business.

So to see a man not only defying "gender roles", but doing what men literally evolved doing (putting food on the table), appeals to them on an evolutionary/physical level as well as a social/psychological level

So let me get this straight...if you just cook hard enough, for long enough, a girl might touch your pee-pee? Sounds like a great reason to invest hours poring over recipe books...

Unless you don't need to get more of that...then maybe it's a giant waste.

who the fuck uses a mortar and pestle. I have a couple spices on my counter and while my meal is in the pan i sprinkle some on, time I would otherwise have spent just waiting on the food to cook. It takes 0 extra time.

some people just enjoy the "mortar/pestle and sauces" part of it. and we live in a capitalist society, so they choose to make that their trade, and enough people like it to pay for it.
What next, people should stop making music? or writing books? even tho there is a clear demand for it?

As I hinted earlier, there is an interesting case made against making music or books (in Platos Republic) so demand doesn't really change my thoughts on it.

Plus, I'll still cook occasionally, even putting lots of effort in. I just don't value it, and think it's pretty rampantly wasteful.

>After an hour or so, nearly all of it turns to shit anyway
"yeah i don't want a blowjob babe. im just gonna feel like i did before the blowjob after an hour or so anyway"
enjoy life a little you boring fuck. you're invited

The mortar and pestle is a great example.

I use it to crush my spices, which lets the flavour out a bit more. The same can be accomplished by rubbing it in your hand a bit. The mortar and pestle LOOKS impressive though, and when your guests see that, they know it is some special crap just for them. It makes them more satisfied with their tendies.

As has been said multiple times
It
Doesnt
Take
Time

Thanks for the invite. I'll be exploring stupid ideas on a Mongolian diesel-fitter forum while you spice your tendies.

so you dont read or listen to music?
also you wasting electricity and time on a mongolian throat singing image board isnt "rampantly wasteful"

also im pretty sure the "interesting case" made against music and books in The Republic was made by one of Socrates opponents, to which Socrates provides a rebuttal.
Did you even read the Republic? it's all people making claims against Socrates, and him leading them to their logical conclusion. Socrates doesn't do any supposing himself, because he knows the danger of making a supposition.
You don't sound smart just referencing the book kid.

Kek not realising the peak of human evolution and culture is cooking. We literally made and art out of what every animal does, eat. We perfected what we eat, how we eat and how it looks when we eat it. Animals just eat, we eat culture.

Studies have shown that eating tasty food improves overall happiness and health. If you can cook you can eat perfect, balanced, healthy food while blasting your brain with dopamine.
Sharing a good meal is also one of the best ways to bond with people.

You're right user, enjoying anything in life is a waste of time. We should all work work work until we die and the worms can feast on us.

It certainly does. Buying spices, reading recipe books, learning all you need to in order to not mix the spices wrong...

It takes a lot of time one could spend on other things (even if those other things are equally stupid)
I do read, and waste a lot of time in many ways. (here, for example)

I mention it because a case is made against Homer et al...I hadn't thought such a good case could be made.

It's great to make a traditional meal, share it with my friends and have them find it delicious. I get it. What I am suggesting is that it isn't worth as much as people say.

There are people who live a wonderful life without ever enjoying paintings, or music, or chicken tendies.

Oh I see, you're not a projecting loser.

You just have no taste. You don't have the ability to extract value from intangibles.

That's alright, I'm sure it doesn't hurt you in the moment. I just hope on your deathbed you are alright with the quality of the experiences you've had.

Also, not joking, I think you might have autism. If your personal relationships are not where you'd like them to be, that's why.

>the peak of human evolution and culture is cooking

So nuclear war, 2girls1cup and space travel aren't even contenders for that 'peak'?

Holy shit, with all the amazing human accomplishments to choose from, you think tasty tendies is the peak?

I think I would go with agricultural science, but that's just me...

Your main argument is that it wastes time. Everyone except you has said it doesn't take any extra time, and even if it does, that is a more productive use of time than most other things.

sage this shit

I do have taste, and the ability to extract value from intangibles. Truly I do.

Now, that aside, I still don't think it has as much value as you. You haven't said anything to change my mind.

It wastes a lot of time and resources, for a lot of people. It is a frill, and treated like necessity by folks who think every meal should be tasty tendies.

Is sex just a meme?

I don't mean just having sex to procreate and pass on the genes, but varying positions, oral or, the fedora of the recreational fuckers world world - tantric sex.

All this, I think, is allowing people to not contribute anything of value, but still claim that they have.

So, aside from reproduction, the only gain seems to be in making sex more enjoyable.

Just what an autistic world should NOT be valuing...

Is exercise just a meme?

I don't mean just walking from A to B to travel, but cardio, yoga, or the fedora of the exercise world - lifting

So, aside from basic movement, the only gain seems to be in making moving more enjoyable.

Just what a busy world should NOT be valuing...

Funny! And apt. Nice shot, user! Here is a (You)!

Now, back to the point I was making, if someone enjoys sex, that seems fine and good. At least, I live my life that way.

When someone focuses their whole life, three or more times every day, on the most varied and well-spiced sex acts, plastering it all over instagram and their front lawn, we would treat it as unusually obsessive behavior.

Sex is good. Being a triple-dipping sub in every fetish community available is maybe a bit not so good.

And isn't 'autistic' the modern-day Veeky Forums equivalent of 'faggot'?

Faggot.

Considering that many herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme), spices (turmeric, cinnamon, cumin), and seasoning vegetables (onions, garlic, spicy peppers, etc) are healthy for you, you should absolutely be spicing your food. It can not only make your food more appealing, but can boost health benefits. As a recovery activity, eating should be stress-relieving, not some Spartan torture trial, and good-tasting food is stress-relieving. Spicing your food isn't particularly time-intensive, either.

Plating and presentation doesn't really add to the nutrition value of a meal, but as an art form, if it is a hobby that helps relieve stress, then have at it. If it makes cooking more stressful, then don't do it.

But spice your food.

OK OP, but also you have to sleep on a bare mattress on the floor, you may have a blanket to cover you if it's cold where you live. Also no carpet or couches, TV and phone/PC/tablet are for news and work only, no fiction books, no music, remove all seat covers and air conditioning from your car and replace all your glasses with a single plastic cup. Fucking retard