Why is gin so tasty, Veeky Forums?

why is gin so tasty, Veeky Forums?

because you are an alcoholic.

I've been drinking a lot of gin lately.
Mostly G&T, gin and soda water and Martinis.

It's so refreshing and you get wasted without feeling all bloated, I think the hangovers aren't so bad with gin either.

Just bought pic related this morning, will be home in about 10 hours so I'll crack the bottle open then.

>and you get wasted without feeling all bloated, I think the hangovers aren't so bad with gin either.
only reason I drink gin, aside from this

Gin tastes like pine needles

I feel like you can make some of the best mixed drink, and its perfect with some simple orange juice

Finishing a bottle of Rangpur right now straight because I'm out of tonic and limes.

Why not just do vodka/tequila?

Because gin has a completely different taste? Why eat pizza instead of cookies?

It tastes exactly like pine needles.

I don't like it.

I'm still kind of a pleb when it comes to gin but I'm quite fond of New Amsterdam. Tastes kinda citrus-y, almost. What else should I try?

Tanqueray Rangpur is flavoured with limes, try that.

I bet a Pink Gin would be right up your alley.

is gin and sparkling mineral water as good as G&T

Thanks for the tip friend. I'll give it a try when I get paid.

Vodka is good when you want to drink alcohol but don't want to taste it.

I can't drink tequila anymore, I hammered myself with that stuff in my youth.

Gin tastes great and you mix it with things that are complimentary to each other.

No fucking clue why, but when I drink gin sober it's awful, but when I drink it after a few drinks it becomes the best fucking shit I've ever tasted.

I got tipsy and played laser tag with some mates. Ordered a gin and tonic after and it was fucking tasty.

I've never tried pink gin. I've seen it at my local liquor store, might see if I can get a taste.

>Gin thread on front page

OP has fine taste.

I'm referring to regular gin over ice with a couple dashes of bitters.

Oh ok, I'll try that. There is pink gin you can buy in a bottle though

>bitters
what bitters do you like?
can you buy them at a normal grocery store like Jewel or Publix?

This one was good. Christmas gin with frankensense and myrrh

Because juniper + angelica is a great flavor combo
>best gin cocktail is an aviation with plymouth

Another differently infused gin I enjoy is this. The rose petals give it a lovely yellow color.

Angostura is in most non-bottom tier grocery stores here in Ontario.

Not as good, tonic has quinine and it's a good flavor mix with gin.
Sparkling water has no flavor

Angostura is the one for Pink Gins. I can get it at grocery stores pretty easily.

It's the botanicals my guy

ty

One of the best gins I have had.

>Sparkling water has no flavor
hm, that means it would be a better to display the gin flavors without being too powerful.

New Amsterdam is actually pretty good, better than anything else at that price. Hendricks is pretty popular. I've been drinking martin millers lately.

/thread

Gin makes me a meaner drunk so I tend not to drink it while drinking, but I will enjoy a proper gin martini with a twist of lemon before a steak dinner.

New Amsterdam is not a good gin, it is more orange flavored vodka than anything else

With that attitude you might as well just put it in a glass of regular water
>tonic is good because it blends and compliments the flavor of the gin

I agree, but IMO it is too sweet.

I do gin with san pelagrino more than with tonic water. Throw in a cucumber with the lime for fun refreshing time

as far as a real answer goes:
complex and identifiable flavours.
the juniper flavor makes it really drinkable, IMO but this is contentious

>gin
>tasty
i guess, if you enjoy drinking aftershave

Stop buying fucking Schweppes or Canada Dry.

for $12 it is whatever I say it is

There are better options at that price point
>1.75l bottle of McCormick was $13 at local store, not great but actual gin

for $12 it is whatever you say it is too champ

Yeah, you can drink whatever you want. I'm just giving suggestions, if you use them great, if not so be it

the other user was asking for suggestions

I've noticed all the old ladies go for the cheapest largest bottle of gin.
I saw an old lady today walking around the shop with a huge bottle of Houndstooth gin.
I wonder what she mixes it with.

superior gin

*blocks your path*

Anybody tried this?

Drumshanbo Gunpowder or that Aldi one that won the london dry gin competition

gin tastes a better than vodka twice its price

I bought a bottle of that aldi gin at half 8 this morning along with 5 tins of mackerel and the paki cashier gave me a dirty look.

the real superior gin

Pardon me.

I guess I'll have to try that soon

>Canada Dry
>Too much sugar in it

Do the fucking canucks not know that words mean things?

>that Aldi one that won the london dry gin competition

Wait are you fucking serious

I have got to try that out.

I remember a few years back I used to be able to get that shipped to me directly from bruichladdich distillery for about 40 bucks a bottle.
The laws on importing alcohol changed and now I see this stuff in the liquor store for 80 bucks.

Hot stuff coming through

>Bombay
It literally taste like soap water

There are a surprising amount of highly regarded Canadian craft gins available as of late.

Canada Dry is the brand name, knuckle head.

My nigga.

I want to go to there. I spent too much money on whiskey lately though.

>Canadian craft gins
They really are great, living in BC I use Odd Society wallflower as my mainstay mixer, but Victoria Gin is amazing as well.
Odd society also makes a wonderful bittersweet vermouth that I use in a citrus heavy gin and tonic that tastes like a less sweet chinotto.

because it's distilled with spices, idort

Gin tastes like giving a rimjob to Santa Claus

I am not a fan of your water mark

Why not?

yeah it's my go to gin, nothing out of this world but still good stuff

Have you tried their Single Malt whisky yet? I hear it's good.

Tried Dillon's Rose Gin? Or any of the Dillon's line for that matter? Personally I think it's fantastic just on the rocks, but also mixes beautifully with a number of things

Top notch. I profaned the bottle by filling it with Tanqueray after I drained the last drop because I couldn't bear to let it go.

Want to try this but it costs 85 dollarydoos down under

>tfw I bought this exact same bottle of gin without realizing I had been subconsciously influenced by this thread I hadn't even posted in
fuck you OP, it's the best gin i've had thus far

Had pic related recently. Good, but too fruity for me with the grape flavour.

>Bombay Sapphire
>it's the best gin i've had thus far
Good news user, you have a lot to look forward to.

I am an old alcoholic. Cant drink anymore because of my fragile health. I tried finding clean alcohol to try reduce the severe punishment on the body but in the end, no matter how clean the alcohol is, its the alcohol itself that destroys the body and mind. I did like fine gin and pic related is what I would drink at the end of my miserable life of alcoholism.

Great stuff, that.

This

Gin makes me like to pick fights with people. Last time I got gin-drunk I decided to sit on my roof and throw the bottle at a stranger who was yelling rude words at 2:30am (clearly he was drunk as well). He didn't seem to agree with my observation that he was a little bitch, and naturally we had a discussion afterwards as to whose face was softer. Turns out mine was, but we became friends.

I love gin.

Cheapest gin to buy for drinking with flavorless mixers? In the US

No lie, I started at the absolute cheapest shit

Gordon's

Bombay sapphire and sprite is the best

Gin is an old lady drink, just so you guys know

>caring about what people think of your drink
how's insecurity treating you?

*worst gin to buy

Found this Spanish brand about a week ago.
I barely tasted it, I quite like it.
It's not aggresive, very little afterburn, light but present aromas and crisp taste.
I tried it with some tonic, and it killed the flavour. Same when I simply stirred it a bit.

So I'll probably drink it at room temp with a bit of sparkling water, the next time I'll have sushi for dinner.

Pic related is my go to because I'm cheap as hell. Anyone have recommendations for good widely available tonic water? I've just been buying diet grocery store brand stuff.

was their a gin version of this chart floating around or did I just imagine that?

I don’t know if only the Irish aldi sells it, it’s from some distillery in Wexford or Wicklow or something

forth and bargy i heard

Angostura bitters impart a brown color; I believe Pechaud's is red, which would result in a "pink" gin? Unless there's an alternative origin of the term that's not as intuitive.

Good stuff.

I should try some other Canadian gins! Here in frenchieland the most popular craft gins I see are provincial ones like Ungava, Romeo's, St-Laurent and one or two others

A few drops of dark red Angostura spread out over two ounces of gin makes it a light pink.

I don't like it at all tbqh

Also, is tonic water always so sweet? I just started drinking gin tonics and I swear I remember tonic being just bitter, and I feel like the drink would be a lot better if it was just less sweet. But what do I know. I look on the back of my tonic water and there's HFCS in it, is that common?

>tfw have only had this in my life and quite enjoyed it

How do you differentiate between good gin and bad gin?

Because it's an infusion. Try infusing other alcohols and you'll see how tasty they can be.