How did he write a hardcore sex scene between a bunch of 11 year old boys and a pre-teen girl and get away with it?

How did he write a hardcore sex scene between a bunch of 11 year old boys and a pre-teen girl and get away with it?

muh shock value, the postmodern literary elites eat this shit up because they can pretend they're daring by parroting shit that was already done 100 years ago.

IT is really the only thing King has written with genuine depth.

He is a modern Vladimir Nabokov

Nobody actually read it.

He compared Beverly's orgasms (she had 2) to thousands of colorful birds alighting in trees, then all fluttering off at once, creating a storm of song and feathers. It worked pretty well for me.

"It was art."

This being said--yeah, I used to wonder how he didn't get arrested. I wrote Crystal Grader and almost didn't put it out for the same reason. But in the end I guess no one cares. Not when it pertains to literature.

Because, like it or not, he's /ourguy/.

it's just a metaphor guys lmao

Jews.

Hmm. He also wrote any number of stories where people did fucked up shit. Like kidnapping, murder, attempted murder, rape, germ warfare, amputation, cannibalism, torture... He wasn't arrested for any of that either. Do any of those rise to same level, or are those okay to write about as long as no fictional kiddies are inconvenienced?

You must be a literal child to think King is at all accepted by "post-modern literary elites". He's airport fiction. He's been famously slammed over having no literary value.

I did. It's a wonderful book if you read it at the right time (age 10-14 or so), because you can see your own confusion about adulthood reflected in the cast. Many other books do this, but IT has another quality: It spends so much time world-building and character-building that it comes to replicate what childhood really feels like. For adults, this can be tough to remember, but at that age your conception of the world isn't fully formed, and a lot of things that would bore you now (like sex or murder) are extremely fascinating and mysterious. We might laugh or grimace at the scene where the bullies jerk each other off, but the kids have no clue what they're seeing., and don't know how to react. Moments like this are fleeting and can be scary, which is why the supernatural encounters in the book are a good analogy.

I'm not sure whether King fully intended to capture that loss of innocence theme, but he does it very well, and I still think IT is a very good book.

Best write-up of IT I've ever read. It actually is a tweener's book.

>How did he write a hardcore sex scene between a bunch of 11 year old boys and a pre-teen girl and get away with it?
What do you mean "get away with it"? Do you want to live in a shithole where you get arrested for writing fiction?

I read it when I was a kid and knew a lot of people that read it in high school. I've never met anyone who didn't think the sex scene was off putting though.

Preteen boys aren't really fully developed though, so you're probably looking at 5 inches of depth max

Why do I only see two fingers on that hand?

How did he write graphic scenes of monsters eating and murdering children and get away with it?

neat post. Because of the movie and the surrounding media I've read about it I'm more and more interested in reading the book. The only King I've read is dark tower which is absolute dog shit that I dropped after the 5th book

If you're interested, go for it. It's certainly leagues beyond everything else he wrote.