Do you have to be religious to be a decent writer?

do you have to be religious to be a decent writer?

No.

/thread

No but religion can be beautiful and the correlation between great writers and being religious makes sense

No, but you do have to be a white man.

are you fucking retarded op

I don't know, maybe you should ask God

You have to be pensive about spiritual and religious matters in order to write well. That doesn't mean you essentially have "to be religious" as you put it.

If your writing lacks this aspect you usually end up writing genre fiction, or even worse, journalism.

Yes, ask Tolkien.

Probably not. It's just that, historically, most people were, so of course most of the great writers fall under that umbrella as well. In recent times there have been more good ones who weren't, like Bertolt Brecht and whoever.

No, just to be a great writer

No. You have to be a Christian. There are three tiers of writers, arranged by descending order of quality:

1. Christians
2. Noble Pagans
3. Faggots (Heretics, Occultists, Pharisees, Muslims, Modernists, etc.)

The gay atheist Proust was the best writer who ever lived.

Pfffft. Also thanks for clarifying that faggotry is a religion.

Don't be an arrogant cunt, my humble friend. The Christians jacked their best shit from the Pagan Greeks and Romans, both in literature, philosophy and theology.

>was the best writer who ever lived.
lol this fucking board

This. The most highly intellectual and original men of their times were Christian from habit.

>Proust
I mean, he was okay. Great even, but christ, he's quite literally the
>my diary desu senpai
of the modern era.

>atheist
>reared catholic
Joyce abstained from practicing catholicism in his later life as well, however, the teaching, culture, and inspiration afforded by the catholic faith has an incredible track record for crafting the greatest authors in human history. Despite being a self proclaimed mystic and atheist later in life, it is the religious foundation that help to make the man.

In summation, Proust doesn't count.

To be a decent writer? No.
To be a great writer? Yes.

Sorry: was the best writer whoms't ever lived*

Yes

>>Proust
>I mean, he was okay
Shut the FUCK up, maggot. You wouldn't recognise great writing even if it was written in a scroll that you shoved in your freshly fucked arse.
>In summation, Proust doesn't count.
Sez who? It's your life that doesn't amount to anything.

yes, particularly catholic