What is your opinion of Whole Foods?

What is your opinion of Whole Foods?

One of the nicest grocery stores around me, but too expensive for most things. Really nice produce and meat/seafood, also pretty decent beer selection. Been to other ones that aren't anything special.

Go there for the sandwiches at the deli. Nothing really special.

>What is your opinion of Whole Foods?

For white liberal posers who care more about image than anything else.

I could go to an actual sushi restaurant get the same amount of sushi that Whole Foods has in an average Sushi tray and it would be cheaper

I go there specifically when I want to get fat off their hot bar.

So far my list for great to okay to bad is

1. Turkey dinner + sides
2. Turkey tetrazzini
3. Fried chicken
3. Butter chicken and rice

I don't enjoy shopping there mostly because the scale of the store is too large for my tastes and the other customers are people I don't enjoy being around. But for some very specific things I like they're either the only source or the best deal. So I end up there five or six times a year, disliking the experience of shopping there but doing it anyways. Which makes them for me the DMV of grocery shopping - a place you don't want to be but you're waiting in line there anyways.

good things to buy there:

1. olives?

things that are not good to buy there:

everything else

bad, now that it's owned by amazon (but even before that too)

they're taking out all the good items and replacing them with swill so they can make money off of normalfags who don't know what quality stuff tastes like.

I've found quite often that while there certainly is an element of white liberal Poserism to whole foods, it's counterbalanced by the pretentious people who think they're smarter than everyone else for seeing through the rude and not being whole foods shoppers

Never been to one.

Whole foods isn’t really for general purpose shopping. Some of the items they have are far better than you can get in a regular supermarket. Their meat is usually excellant, but higher in cost than you would pay elsewhere. Vegetables and fruits are always more expensive than a regular supermarket, and I don’t see the point unless you’re buying weird fruits or vegetables which you may inly be able to get from a specialty place. Whole foods does carry non nitrate cured meats, which usually taste way better than nitrate cured meats, and they’re really the only good options since Trader joes has far less stuff. They carry special canned fish that is higher quality than what you find elsewhere. Some of the frozen foods are wonderful, and not necessarily that much more expensive than major brands. I absolutely hate most of the fancy pastries and deserts they make and sell. I really fon’t know how they can be so much worse than any other pastry bake shop. The breads and bagels are really good. Very good cheese selection, but more costly than other places. They have a habit of getting great stuff and then discontinuing the line so you have to find it on line later. The staff at regular supermarkets are usually nicer.

As a whole food vegan living near a couple asian supermarkets, it's pretty useless to me. Someone assumed and gave me a gift card, so I'll probably stop for some oil-free hummus that won't go fizzy the next time I'm going for a road trip.

Too expensive. I like Lucky's Market and The Fresh Market better.

>whole foods
>not a regular supermarket
What's your idea of a regular supermarket? The chittagong wet market?

Whole foods is for normal produce like bell peppers and onions since you know they won't have surprise rotten layers or patches of mold growing inside. Whole foods is for fruits like blueberries and oranges since even in the off season they'll usually have the best quality stuff that tastes reasonable and not like some mealy horror show. Whole foods is for coffee since it's cheaper than ordering online from george howell and less of a pain in the ass than going all the way to grumpy. Whole foods is for cheese since it's less of a pain than going to murray's or beecher's and the selection is better than fairway which is like 80% WIDF cheddar. Whole foods is for bulk grains and beans since it's the cheapest place in town and the selection is better than Westerly Market.

Of course the breads and pastries are gross, that's a given. The meats are iffy but workable in a pinch, sometimes they have decent stuff from local farmers but a lot of the time you have to go to the USQ greenmarket for that. They never have any interesting cuts and the sausages are mediocre at best, but they're among the most reliable sources of chicken backs and turkey necks and that sort of thing, which are "special order only" at most butcher assuming you can get them at all.

TJ's isn't really a grocery store, it's a glorified gas station.

You really sound like a faggot.

Superfresh, Acme, the grocery section of Walmart, Shop-Rite, etc.
Whole foods either doesn’t carry a whole lot of standard household items like paper towels and cleaning supplies, or the ones they carry are specialty boutique stuff that is significantly more expensive than a regular supermarket.
For instance the light bulbs they used to carry were Chromalux full spectrum bulbs which cost ten times what a regular light bulb would cost. They also at one point had 100% cotton toilet tissue. It was nice for blowing your nose when you had the flu, but it again was ten times as expensive as regular toilet tissue. They also constantly discontinue or change stuff like that, so you don’t actually know if they’ll have it.
For food items they usually have the “normal” stuff or a decent alternative, but I can’t really rely on them for some things like baking supplies, or a decent selection of ice cream.

Yeah, I don't know what any of those are except Walmart and we don't have that here

Also, light bulbs? Cleaning supplies? Who the hell buys that stuff at a grocery store? Do you shop for clothes and electronics at the grocery store too?

It's aight. Honestly really isn't that expensive as long as you don't do your entire shopping there and you're just buying stuff for yourself and not a family. I usually just buy produce and meat there.

It's alright, I have a rather large one that's only a block away from my work so if I'm feeling indulgent, I'll go grab some lunch at the BBQ mini-restaurant since the guys that work there know how to smoke some good brisket. Also like others have said, it's more of a niche store for me, I only really shop for the butcher and seafood selection.

>Cleaning supplies?
Most large grocery stores have a large section for these items. Why wouldn't I buy them there?

I worked at one for almost a year, but I was prep foods. They start at $11 an hour and bump it up to $12 as soon as you prove you aren’t a retard and can be trusted with a knife/prep work.
It was RIDICULOUS how much food we saved/put out again for the price the customers were paying for it. People on hot bar paying $8 per lb for three day old rice/ other shit. We cooked everything in huge batches and just put it in the blast freezer and threw a sticker on it.
They take good care of their employees, though.

they damn well better treat their employees better than the rich white customers treat them

I literally only go there to get coffee because they're the only store close to me that stocks stuff from the roaster I like. My choices are either WF or driving over an hour just to buy coffee.

In the USA supermarkets routinely carry anything that might be considered a regular household item, although the selection might be small. Light bulbs are standard at any regular supermarket but limited to the most common sizes and types. Most supermarkets have a very good selection of cleaning supplies. Most supermarkets have a decent selection of bathroom and medicinal supplies even if they don’t have a pharmacy. Most have standard things like stationary, garbage bags, paper products etc. Most stores also have basic baking supplies like spatulas and pyrex pie plates. Whole foods doesn’t stock this stuff, or if they do you can’t rely on them to consistently have it. Whole foods is more of a “food” store, with the exception of a couple sections related to beaty products and supplements, which are far more extensive than a regular supermarket, and more like what you would find in stores that specialize in that type of thing.

Same reason you don’t buy a saute pan there

Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you should buy it

Where should I go then? Make an extra trip somewhere else why exactly, when they have everything I need there.

Maybe you're right about the "hardware" end of it but for disposables like paper towels and Windex grocery stores are fine

They have a good salad bar. Grocery stores where I live don’t have them for some reason, only Whole Foods. The grocery stores where I grew up always had one though.

Really dude, you sound like you chug cock for a living.

Too fucking expensive

I only go there to buy weird specialty things that normal grocery stores around me don't stock like matcha powder

Also, it’s now confirmed that people just assume you’re a faggot. Who else gives someone a Whole Foods gift card without knowing for a fact they sit on a hemorrhoid pillow every time they’re on the couch?

Whole foods is OK. One opened in my neighborhood last year and I've been there twice. They have some unusual stuff I doubt I'd find in other places but for regular groceries I'd go to the regular store because it costs 75% as much

Their store brand is good, also their breakfast bar/buffet is good.
>tfw my mom still calls it wellspring

No one likes you

>USQ greenmarket
Realize your perspective is pretty different from that of most of America. Most of America drives to a supermarket once a week or once every two weeks, does a big shopping for groceries and household items (there's an entire aisle devoted to paper goods and cleaning products). And that's pretty much how they get their food. Having food in the house that didn't come from a supermarket (aside from leftover take out and delivery pizza) would be unusual.

But you're a New Yorker. Most of us don't shop like that. We shop on foot, usually more than once a week, and only sometimes at the supermarket because there are countless specialty shops near you. These shops easily beat the supermarket in terms of quality, and sometimes even price. So you tend to pick up what you need as you need it, because stopping at the corner store on your way home from work isn't impractical. Big shopping runs would be, unless you live in one of the outer boroughs and have a car.

Different worlds.

you can usually find better things at like local butchers or farmers market or other specialty food stores but i go here sometimes because it's convenient to have all that stuff in one place. i don't like their prepared foods but most things are good quality

I saw a guy shopping there with a hillary for prison t shirt on

It's higher quality products for a higher price, compared to most things.
I mostly go there because I get a massive (>50%) discount via gift card suppliers
I'm half convinced that's what made 3, of my siblings to all go vegan, to the chagrin of me, my mom, and my youngest brother

I work at whole foods ama

How do you deal with that one faggot who comes with >500$ worth of giftcards to pay for all his wine?

Im not a full time cashier so this has never happened to me.
But I do work the grill register and gift cards aren't a big deal, all we do is scan them and thats it.

Hm, well I distinctly remember when the guy next to me bought like 500 odd dollars worth of the stuff and his gift cards weren't clearing, for some reason.

Had to go to another line because they were insistent on going through with it.

So do you just cashier, or do you also stock shelves and the like?

I work in the deli, the pizza station and the grill/taqueria./bar.
If it was me I would have just sent the guy to customer service and let them deal with it instead of just trying to scam a shit load of cards.

Hm, alright.
Does your whole Foods carry any serving stations besides the standard ones.
I'm talking about besides:
>A Cheese bar.
>A Sushi Bar.
>A Pizza/Sandwich station.
>A sit-down restaurant of some description.
>A Hot/Cold Food Bar/w Deli.
>A Meat/fish section/w Smokehouse.

I remember one Whole Foods in LA having a burger bar, in addition to that selection.

Not my store. It's really basic. The customers here are mostly old people and middle class families so we wouldn't make money off cool stuff like that.
The ones downtown have all the cool stations.
We are supposed to get some construction done here and get the pizza station turned into a self serve pizza thing which is cool.

Usually only shop there for tea. They carry a couple brands that I rarely find at other stores.

over priced but ill gladly pay a little extra to not have to shop with niggers

Most farmer's markets are free of blacks too