isak dinensen
shirley jackson
emily dickinson
flannery o'connor
willa cather

a ton more

H.D

Noted. Thanks. Any book in particular?

I've read all of them except for Willa Cather. Good indeed. I really like Shirley Jackson and O'Connor.

Jane Austen and Ayn Rand are the only two female authors I've read.

Jane Austen tells gripping quests and conflicts of humAn emotions in somewhat boring plots (those plots are boring because everyday life in her time was just like that so can't be mad at her for telling the truth.) the way she draws you in to her stories by teaching you a truth about the human psyche is where her genius lies.

Rand was one of the first authors I was ever interested in so I'm a little bias because she holds a special place in my heart. I've moved beyond her philosophy but her philosophy is worth a look. It is the steelman of a pure rationally lived life. To me rationality is not all encompassing but she might convince you otherwise. As far as her literature goes; negative-characters can be one dimensional
Positive- she had a very unique view of love and beautifully expresses it.

try death comes for the archbishop, very nice book imo

M. F. K. Fisher
Penelope Fitzgerald
Marguerite Yourcenar
Cynthia Ozick- essays especially
etc.

Joan Didion

her nonfiction is her best work but play it as it lays is a wonderful book

jane austen
emily bronte
j.k. rowling
flannery o'connor

i've not read many fiction works by female authors but i thought this was good desu

let us not judge the creator by the color of their skin, nor the shape of their genitalia, but by the quality of their work
>tfw when no based Martin Luther King Jr. of artistic expression exists

The above and Barbara Comyns, Barbara Pym, Ivy Compton-Burnett, Jean Rhys, and Sylvia Townsend Warner

Third reference to I C-B in the past week. Might Veeky Forums be picking up?

One earlier today was also by me :/

Rats. One earlier this wk by me. Oh, well!
>I'm nobody! Who are you?
>Are you nobody too?
>Then there's a pair of us--

Yeah the thread about good dialogue

Emily Dickinson is also a good choice for this thread

Lit hates her, but Toni Morrison is actually really fuckin good.

Joan Didion is one of the finest prose craftspeople of modern American writers.

strongly disagree. i read a lot of female authors and this has nothing to do with /pol/ shit, but i legitimately think she's a poor writer who relies heavily on amateur symbolism and subject matter.

take song of solomon for example - the opening scene is just so needlessly in your throat, with the red/white/blue imagery and the fall to earth (suicide) of the "american dream" in a scene that is entirely extraneous to the novel. and it doesnt stop, with the hilariously awful character names of guitar, milkman, pilate, etc. that's basically shouting with a megaphone to the reader "THIS IS WHAT THIS CHARACTER REPRESENTS"

The Year of the Magical Thinking is great.

George Eliot is pretty good too. A modern one that I like is Yoko Ogawa. Tove Jansson is another fav.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. I loved Song of Solomon. There's a passage somewhere in that novel where a character is contemplating the shades of blackness present in the nighttime, and it was one of the most lovely pieces of writing that I had read in a very long time. I find her writing to be incredibly rich and textured. The final jump at the end of the novel was perfectly ambiguous.

My personal jesus

>her philosophy is worth a look
user..

Maria Remarque
Ezra Pound

"The Gravedigger's daughter" by J. C Oates

I like Ayn Rand's style of writing. Her ideology isn't realistic or pragmatic, which is a nice way of saying its kinda retarded, but she does an absolutely brutal and complete debunking of leftist ideology that is satisfying to read.

Anyways, a female author who isn't good is Patricia Cornwell. Absolutely proflic writers starring an author avatar detective who is constantly unwittingly having sex with serial killers.

That's actually a pretty fair assessment of Rand, user. When I was in hs, I remember plodding along in Shrugged with a dictionary. If one reads her early she's great for the increase of one's vocabulary! May be a dumb observation, but it's true. Over time her style becomes MORE than a little much, however.
Hope all the hurricane anons out there are keeping safe!

Hannah Arendt

Donna Tartt is god tier

Hilary Putnam

Her poetry's hit or miss, but she really does write a mean essay.

Sigrid Undset.

This is a good post.

Nice Facebook post. Yeah Ayn Rand's absolute black and white, food or poison message is something everyone should read. I could gush all day about her even though I disagree with her ideas. Her destruction of ideas I also disagree with are un paralleled.

I kinda like Ursula LeGuin
But it's more like a guilty pleasure

Death comes for the archbishop, my antonia, o pioneers are fantastic.

Sigrid Undset is an early nobel prize winner, and is channeling graham greene through fictional works set in Scandinavian middle age.

>Woolf
>Dickinson
>Yourcenar
>Didion
>Jansson
>Arendt
Seconding and thirding

Very nice thread.

Good argument. Conservashits btfo

Djuna Barnes

She's too good not to be Veeky Forums, user.

I really enjoyed Wuthering Heights, and Emily was objectively the best Brontë girl. And if you haven't read it, Pride and Predjuice is a pretty comfy read.

Funny. I don't engage in social media AT ALL, so I wouldn't know. Never have, never will.
>in b4 'that's what this is, dickhead.'

At least I didn't write 150 pages about it while everyone else is trying to enjoy his dinner.

at last
Lispector and Shakespeare as well

Vollman

DONT JUDGE CISMALES

Murasaki Shikibu
Sei Shonagon
Jane Austen
George Eliot
The Bronte Sisters
Yōko Ogawa
Ichiyō Higuchi