Canned fish

new sardine/canned fish thread? last one got archived.

what's your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

alexfergus.com/blog/51-sardine-recipes-for-the-fussiest-of-fish-eaters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>fish she is very small

The King of course

I was eating exlusively canned fish and vegetables for a couple weeks and got in the best shape of my life!
and everybody kept saying "oh noo, stop doing that! all the mercury is bad for you!
stopped doing it
gained 25 pounds since then

oh yes, this is so much healthier!!

Just don't eat tuna. Deenz has no mercury at all

No mo having sardeenz for dinner
- Notorious BIG

who /deenzer/

tried some sardines for the first time yesterday. they were fantastic, they're going to be my new goto fast and cheap food

are these threads a big troll or what

>healthy
>cheap
>taste really good

why would they be a troll

not into fish ftmp but I do love canned mackerel in tomato sauce and usually have 2-3 cans week with lunch

even made a little contraption involving a plastic container and some cardboard that holds it in place and allows me to open and eat them without the the sauce splattering or dripping everywhere (usually eat them from my car and have to be careful not to let that shit get anywhere near the upholstery lest it reek of fish for upto a week at a time no matter how much I try and clean it)

Are sardines actually really good? Dont they have bone in them? Don't they stink?
I bought a can of sardines in oil like a year ago but just have not worked up the courage to try it. It's just sitting on my dresser mocking me.

It's a lifestyle thread. It doesn't have to appeal to you. But I'm losing weight on deenz, reducing inflammation and acne, and doing it tasty and cheap. I'm having kippers with egg salad on toast as I write this.

>dresser sardines

If you get low quality sardines they might suck. I was put off by the spine the first time I tried them. And I got some cheap ones in mustard which were gross.

Good ones are great. Addicting.

Why would a thread actually about food be trolling? Don't be so stupid user.

It's a group of people who think they've been introduced into some hidden mystery religion because they've discovered canned fish doesn't taste as gross as pop culture would have you believe.

We're like archaeologists of popular food culture. You know that's at least a little neat.

I was getting bored with typical canned fish so I canned some fresh wildcaught salmon after brining and smoking at a relatively low temp. It's the best canned fish I've ever eaten. Highly recommend it if you feel enterprising. It's a PDF, but if you google "university of alaska canning smoked salmon" the instructions show as the first result.

I've only enjoyed a few different fish in my life. Rare tuna steaks, swordfish, and snook that I ate 30 minutes after catching it. Is there any chance I will like sardines? I have a can or king oscar sardines in olive oil. I'm worried about fishy tasting fish desu.

I'm going to do Veeky Forums it I'm going to try the sardines, you better not be lying

It tastes like shit.

i assume you just ate cold sardines out of the tin with a fork?

sounds like you enjoy fish that has decent flavor. i don't know what you mean by "fishy" flavor but if you like swordfish and tuna you should like sardines. they're like tiny oily little versions of that but with a distinct richer flavor. i guess you could call it "fishy" but i'm not sure what you mean by that in a negative context. they don't taste like old fish smells if that's what you mean.

Shoulda got some in mustard or hot sauce and eaten them on a cracker

Yeah.
It doesn't taste like SHIT, I mean it's serviceable enough. But I wouldn't eat this as anything other than emergency food or when I'm really hungry and have nothing else to eat.
Tastes like what cold wet raw escovitch fish would probably taste like.

Anyone tried the Aldi brand? I was gonna get some because I've had lots of luck with practically everything I've gotten of theirs, but seventy-eight cents a can had me wary.

Excellent. One day I'd like to try my hand at it, but I haven't been fishing in... twenty years or longer.

Bumble Bee is low-mid tier. Look for King Oscar.

i cant find canned fish apart from hering in my aldi wtf

does pickled haring count? If so, this

That shit is awesome. And yes, it counts.

Hey /deenz/, rate my lunch

Does beer go good with deens?

Kippers with Triscuits... now this I could get into.

I'm having some pickled fried herring right now, with a little egg/curry salad on the side. (fried first, then pickled)
Regular ones like you posted are great too, though. I pity the people who never try them because they think it's too Slavic or Scandinavian.

I love this, great demonstration of how preserved fish can be either dressed up or dressed down. I used to get the pickled herring from Raley's supermarket, and they've discontinued it due to lack of demand. Sad. But I'm sure there's better stuff out there.

Salty, meaty, eaten with hot sauce and other strong flavors, and sometimes smoked? Beer was MADE for deenz.

Deenz for brunch at work

Those used to be my fave but they've gone to shit. You can pick up King Oscar brisling double row in EVOO for $1.50 a can these days, try them, the quality and taste is beyond compare.

i want to tried pickled herring so badly. i saw some show once where the guy was showing somebody around new york and they went to some fish market or some shit and got pickled herring with onion and capers and shit and just ate it like that, street food style.

i want that meaty, salty herring, guys.

True that, first time I've had Brunswick in a long time and they were not as good as I remembered, still ok though.

how is it possible that I like anchovies but not sardines? Specifically the fishy taste of sardines bothers me, even though obviously they're way less fishy tasting than anchovies. Am I just retarded?

sardines are certainly less salty than anchovies. maybe you just like the salt taste?

on the real though, anchovies are just really fucking tasty. you may just prefer them. nothing really compares to their taste, that's for sure.

It's not at all hard to make yourself from fresh herring fillets.
Make some nice schwarzbrot to go with it too.
You'll be glad you did.

just looked it up, that's incredibly easy. i'm going to have the wifey whip up a rye for me.

i just found out what i'm doing this weekend, thanks.

Yeah you have to do something with it, it's not like kippered herring where it's already smoked and delicious on its own.

it is good to see another deenz thread up so soon
thank you my brothers

sounds good.
good luck, user

I will try putting salt on sardines. thanks user

I made fisherman's eggs earlier today, then added them on top of white rice. Basically, fisherman's eggs rice bowl.
Was very comfy.

Share some deenz recipes pls... preferably with rice. I'll probably make deenz fried rice next.

High meme potential here:

Not deenz, but I’ve boiled tuna with rice.

Paprika, mixed herbs, and a couple teaspoons of powdered curry sauce, stirred well.
Add water after the spices to ensure even spread of spices.

Bring to a boil, simmer for 10 mins then add sweetcorn.

I’ve only recently started learning to cook, due to dieting, but i’ve been making a batch of rice-based dishes and re-heating some in microwave as needed, as small meals rather than snacking on crisps like I used to.

King Oscar Vikernes

I only ever had canned fish 2 ways: Tuna in a sandwich or sardines on toast. How else are they meant to be eaten? I know you can use tuna to make a mornay and salmon to make salmon cakes.

i fry them

God bless deenz thteads

Its great. I love the chewiness of pickled fish. Has a really great texture.

>you will never have an obedient unibrow sand girl who is also your blood relative cowering behind a hood around strangers and doing everything you tell her to do because it says so in the koran
RENOUNCE CHRIST, ISLAM IS THE ANSWER

/white anchovies/ we out here

But are most deenz halal?

no but yer mamas pussy is

Maybe to some people but I genuinely love sardines.

I just tried the King Oscar zesty tomato. Pretty good, could have used some hot sauce. What sauce do you guys like on your deenz? Just a little tabasco?

How would Veeky Forums recommend I eat this? I tried it once like a year ago when I got it from a Jon's and ate straight out the can like a fucking retard. It wasn't bad, but I feel like it could have gone better with something. On a cracker perhaps?

Salt and a drizzle of good balsamic on buttered toast. Or on a cracker with some sriracha

Anything red and vinegary. A sriracha is fine, too.

Buy them all and try them all!

Wait, what? Pate? Is it just mashed fish?

I'd definitely put that on a saltine with some hot sauce. Or on toast with avocado and a squirt of vinegar. You know, the usual stuff.

It was just regular whole fish like any canned sardine. Also thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that out.

Oh, regular riga gold. I never noticed the word "pate" on there. I suggest eating them straight out the can like a fucking retard. Ha ha only serious.

Any cracker + any hot sauce + sardines is basically guaranteed success. Yellow mustard, too. Stuff with vinegar in it. Be minimally creative.

All good suggestions. Would this sauce work well on it on a saltine? I like this sauce and I'm considering putting either this or Louisiana on it (I'm still getting into hot sauce)

nigga get u a camera

Crown Prince Natural canned seafood. This is the Crown Prince line sold at Whole Foods. The canning is isually done with olive oil instead of cheaper oils, and less crap gets added. The herring Kipper snacks are simply smoked and packed in herring juice.

Bela Canned Sardines from Portugal. Packed in olive oil. Tasty

>herring juice

What do they get for them? I hear Whole Foods and I see dollar signs.

Post contraption

Just read the About Us page on their website. So cozy.

Yeah, the Natural line from Crown Prince is more expensive than the cheaper lines or other brands, although it does sometimes go on sale. The Bela sardines are slso more expensive but they also occasionally go on sale. The supermarket brands have been getting more expensive, so the difference in $ isn’t as much as it used to be.

Cold riga sprats on a cracker with some goat cheese is the GOAT.

Riga sprats are god teir

alexfergus.com/blog/51-sardine-recipes-for-the-fussiest-of-fish-eaters

>47. Raw Sardine Smoothie
Are you a bad enough dude?

Aesthetic.

Very.
Also, no extra outer box or wrapping, and the cans stack.

>with some goat cheese
I'm unsure about this.

Someone tell me how to make a meal with a car of sardines

Yeah, that sounds like shit. Need some smokey gouda or cheddar.

Pic or something lighter is dice tomato, red or green onion, garlic, black pepper, mash up the sardines and mix it all together and make a sandwich with it.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6362403.stm

This was a bad year.

I actually already make that exact recipe (your pic) for breakfast. I was just wondering what else you can do with deenz, I should have specified

Can this treasured friend join the Deenz Club? He doesn't have a home

I'm having trouble imagining how many sardines would fit in a car. I mean, they're known for packing very tightly into confined spaces. Given an entire car it seems likely you could feed an army.

because from where im sitting its like you'd all enjoy eating out of a tackle box

>your favorite tomato sauce
>deenz
>pasta

bam

>rice
>sambal
>soy sauce
>deenz

bam

>two slices of toast
>some plain guacamole
>deenz
>top with lemon juice

bam

You could definitely put some cans of sardines in a tackle box. Checks out.

What? No. Only canned fish or seafood, ie oysters squid etc can join the deenz club, canned land creatures should require a separate club, such as tinned mystery meats or the like. No hard feelings I hope.

I got some King Oscar Mediterranean flavored deenz about a week ago because of these threads, but still haven’t worked up the courage to try them. I know the bones and scales are going to freak me out, as well as the idea of canned fish in general.

We use these fuckers at work. I open sometime 20-25 cans a day. They changed the can to be pretty much idiot proof (no cuts), but they started gluing the boxes together so it takes like 3x as long to open. I used to be able to shell these fuckers so fast. I had a flow. I was one of the best. But they went ant fucked that up. Fuck you, Season sardines.

Scrape the scales off, pull the spine out, and stop being a pussy because it's fucking fish, food we as a species have been eating for millennia, and nothing supernatural. If you don't like it, don't buy it again, and don't lament the $2 you spent.

Any Eurobois who can recommend a brand of sardines that's widely available in Europe?

>I know the bones and scales are going to freak me out
if you eat them on a cracker or something, you literally can't tell you're eating bones or scales