What's something challenging and interesting I could make to expand my horizons as a beginner/intermediate cook?

What's something challenging and interesting I could make to expand my horizons as a beginner/intermediate cook?

fry two pieces of spam and then spread nutella in between and use the spam like its bread for a nutella sandwich

that sounds really gross, and assembly isn't really cooking, it's assembly

burns night is coming up. make a three course meal to celebrate it and invite all your friends. have the starter be soup and soda bread, the main be haggis neeps and tatties with some greens on the side, and the dessert be cranachan with shortbread. get a couple of friends to help you and get everyone else to bring booze. nothing gets you to nail your shit down like a scheduled meal and kitchen management.

"Artisan" bread. ie, hand formed boules, pre-ferments, sourdough, etc. Requires almost no special equipment outside of a cheapo cast iron dutch oven.

Or try stuff from a specific cuisine outside of your comfort zone. Just go buy a book on "Thai" or whatever and have at it.

Idk, seems a bit sad to make a three course meal just for myself. was more thinking about something that would explore a specific technique. cranachan looks good but raspberries aren't great at this time of year. haggis seems like kind of a hard thing to make outside of ireland?

Damn, Burns night sounds like a fucking blast although I must say scots seem to be the jews of great britain.

beef wellington

I always say if a man can make a good scrambled egg, you know he can cook

oh yeah what about women?

Try making a pie with meringue. Like chocolate or lemon, etc. Make your own crust too. Payoff will be decadent

You gotta stop saying that. Your family is worried.

Coq au vin if you haven't already done it
Properly-made curry (the kind that you stew for several hours)
Anything with puff pastry and make the dough yourself
Reverse-seared steak
Sushi

All good challenges for a beginner.

Oh hey I thought of some more:

Risotto
British pudding
Brined, double-battered Fried Chicken
Toffee
Bobka
Russian Blini
Soup dumplings (xialongbao)

Each of the foods/dishes I've posted introduces a new technique essential for an intermediate-advanced cook to know. If you can make these dishes you will be able to make many other dishes. Good luck!

He said fry the spam you piece of shit.

Well I'm sorry, sassypants

hot pocket

no

this, lemon meringue pie took me three tries to get it right, but it's worth it

Crepes. Learn to make crepes.

It's Scottish

sorry I get them mixed up sometimes. no hard feelings?

crepes are pretty standard where I live.