$10 a week for food

Well, Veeky Forums I've officially been fucked. A string of unfortunate circumstances has led me to have to budge off of $10 a week. I was budgeting off of $25 week for the last 3 years. I successfully limited my budget specifically to essentials other than the weekly 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's. My question for you is how do I maximize my buying power of $10/week while keeping a healthy and tasty lifestyle. Infographics are much appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

money.cnn.com/2014/06/19/pf/inherited-debt-adult-children/index.html
efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/
nmcrs.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can't, tripdaddy.

Looks like your doing beans and rice this week. Hopefully you have some spices and other ingredients laying around. You can make some burritos if you have tortillas. Throw some eggs in with it.

It's not just this week. I'm going to have to budget like this for the next year, possibly longer if I don't catch a break

Time to hit up your local dollar store.

I have been for the last 3 years. I'm on a first name basis with all the cashiers and managers

Beans and rice is probably the only thing possible with such a low budget. Buy eggs at Aldi for $.25 a dozen for protein.

They sell them that cheap?? That's great cause an Aldi literally opened up right next to the dollar store

reminder that people who come in and say they spend $10 or less per week are actually just eating from their already stocked pantry

Generally, at least at the one near my house, you'll get eggs for near a quarter and a gallon of milk for about ninety cents.

Negative, Rainman. I don't even own a pantry. The apartment I'm renting a room from doesn't allow me Kitchen Privileges

Lots of churches have food drives once a week. They usually have some vegetables mixed in there. Also, consider going on Sunday if they serve food afterwards. It'll provide some change in the boring routine you're going to be looking at.

Just got on food stamps for fuck's sake. You are the person that shit is meant for.

I don't qualify for food stamps, I have 2 jobs work 13 hours a day while also in the MC reserves. All of my money goes into paying for tuition for myself and my 2 brothers.

>I only have 10 dollars a week
>work 13 hours a day

Nigger are you working for like 1 dollar an hour or some shit?

You're a good brother, but weak. Get those two little faggots to get a job and pay their own way

10 mcchicken per week

you're going to die on $10/week. since you're going to school, you probably qualify for loans of financial aid. you did fill out the fafsa, right user?

I have to pay off debts left by my father after he died. My 2 brothers need help with tuition. They both work 8 hours a day at Wells Fargo but they also have to take care of themselves. I need to pay for tuition. Marine Corps helps with tuition assistance but very limited since I'm a reservist.

>I have to pay off debts left by my father after he died
no you dont. you dad's debts go to his estate when he dies. you literally dont have to pay his debts if you dont want to.

at least do some research to make your lies believable.

jesus christ good luck to you mate

We all got financial aid, but they are both paying 13k and 15k a year while I'm paying 8k. This wasn't the plan I got cut from Officer Training school after they found out I wasn't paying of debts (left by my father)

That's what I thought before MP showed up at my school and detained be because of unsettled debts

You literally owe nothing for another persons debt when they die, you just don't get anything in their will if the debt is larger than the estates worth. Creditors will try but it's not legal

As far as I'm aware this is the case. OP's got some explaining to do. This is like some Asian-tier bullshit if true.

Bulk buying beans, rice and pasta is your only choice. Add in some salt and all purpose seasoning. You'll have to settle for drinking tap water.

7 limes

Unless OP took out loans for shit completely under his name for loans he doesn't have to deal with them except some creditors and debt collectors trying to see if they can get anything out of him. If op works at Wells Fargo a first year accountant could tell him that.

OP what really happened, did you blow too much money on a weekend out and fucked stuff up? At least GOOGLE basic debt shit for death and what not before trying to make anything up

>I have to pay off debts left by my father after he died.
Send them a death certificate.

8 lemons

Specifically, medical expenses those fuckers rack up a lot of bills. I was co-signed on a loan for medical cost. At the time I thought it was going to work itself out but I was obviously wrong.

Maybe it's something like this (if still applicable)
>But check state law. Close to 30 states have what's known as "filial responsibility" statutes. Those require adult children to pay for a deceased parent's unpaid medical debts, such as those to hospitals or nursing homes, when the estate cannot.
money.cnn.com/2014/06/19/pf/inherited-debt-adult-children/index.html

>I was co-signed on a loan for medical cost.
Jesus Christ you co-signed the loans?.yeah you're fucked op declare bankruptcy. wont be good for your credit but at least you wont die of malnutrition

Oh, well you're screwed either way. It's not your dad's debt; it's your debt. I'm sorry you're in that position my man. Check out Dave Ramsey if you want advice for how to get out of debt.
>bankrupcy
Definitely consult a financial adviser before you take this kind of action...

>I was co-signed on a loan for medical cost

Why the fuck would you do this and not just let it throw to medicare? Did you give actual signing or did someone sign for you without power of attorney? If so not your fault.

There's an app you can download on your PC called qmee. It let's you earn money while browsing and clicking on their suggested links, or filling our surveys. It's not much, but you can earn around a dollar a day doing it casually while browsing the internet. You just need PayPal and you can cashout instantly.

When you've only got $10 a week it might be helpful. My only suggestion if you do use it, is to lie if a survey asks if you have a smartphone, or insurance, etc, when you might not. Make sure you say yes, and remember to be consistent, so they don't find out. Otherwise you can get blacklisted.

Of course, I Co-signed the loans, my father was sick and I was desperate to get him proper medical attention. Our plan was once he was able to work he would pay me back with interest

This. Go bankrupt. You'd be better off dealing with the bad credit score for 7 years, than potentially ruining your life long-term.

Sounds really shitty, OP. People can't really live off $10 per week. Look into local charities or churches that provide canned goods. Sometimes they have donuts or cookies at AA meetings as well as coffee, which the caffeine is supposed to stave off hunger. They don't expect you to speak or share anything, so you can just be the silent, present type if you're not an alcoholic.

sorry for your loss. FYI, feeding yourself is more important than paying debts. go to /r/personalfinance, give as much detail as possible. people there love working out puzzles like yours. default on the debt before you starve. I know it might feel like you're giving up on your dad, but you're not. its what he would have wanted.

this
unless you live in transylvania or congo or some shit you don't owe dead relatives jack shit

Really, go bankrupt. Or just don't pay. They'll give up chasing you eventually. Being able to eat is definitely more important.

>they'll give up chasing you eventually
This is the one thing they absolutely will never do.

I thought churches was a fried chicken joint

It must suck to be basketball american. Or a felon. Whichever. Likely both.

I just got a $20k raise of my annual salary. That puts me at $63,500 which I know isn't really much to brag about, but at 31 with no kids and few bills it leaves me with lots of disposable income. I told myself that if i got this promotion I would no longer drink well liquor at the bar. I always ate well so no real changes there. If you're still reading i thank you for subscribing to my blog.

Legally they do. Its called statute of limitations. Sure, they can keep trying to get you to pay, but only voluntarily. The debt will also disappear off your credit report after seven years.

It's 7 years before they give up. Medical bills(IIRC) you can put off forever UNLESS you took out a cash loan to pay for something prior to.

FOOD PANTRIES user they are very nice. hit up your local church / community organizer

It won't even be worth chasing OP for the money, unless he has valuable assests. But that seems unlikely if he can only afford $10 a week.

It would cost them more to take you to court.

All they can is try and scare you into paying, until the statute of limitations expires. If they continue to harrass you after that, then you can remind them of the law and threaten to report them for harassment. They'll have to stop or potentially risk being fined.

>Medical bills(IIRC) you can put off forever UNLESS you took out a cash loan to pay for something prior to.

Heard something like this before, does anyone know if it is true?

Again, statute of limitations. It's a period of time that parties involved have to initiate legal proceedings against you.

That is to say, they legally have then power to take you to court. The thing is though, it doesn't matter if the court case goes against you. You can only pay what you have.

Now unless you have valuable assets, such as a home, you don't have anything to lose. The judge could order you to pay a million dollars, but unless you have a million dollars, or assets worth that amount, then they won't be able to do anything. You'll only have to pay what you can afford. Which could be as little as $1 a month.

This is why they're unlikely to take you to court, unless the debt is of significance, again, millions of dollars, or they know for a fact you're able to pay the debt. It simply isn't in their interest.

All they're likely to do is have debt collectors chase you, and try to scare you into paying, by making false threats such as court action. Eventually they'll even start offering you deals, and be willing to take only partial payment.

Although technically you'll always be in debt to them, legally they can only enforce you to pay for so long.

like others have said, its going to be rice, beans, eggs and cheap bread. Tag along with a friend to mcdonalds and when they order something from the mccafe just take a bunch of jam/butter/salt packets. Visit your nearest church and go in one day to talk to the pastor. Explain your predicament and ask if the church can help you. Most churches have some sort of food pantry, just take a few cans of ingredients you can use. Listen to anything else he wants to tell you.

Check out some of the other advice regarding your finances in general, $10 is very tight and if you;re not careful and don't ration it out properly, you're going to starve come end of the week. Every dollar you can get your hand on is vital, lest there's something wrong with the food and you literally starve for a week.

>Spending a tenth of your budget on milk
Those 90 cents can be spent on something better

I just dont get how these things happen I guess? I get being poor, I get having financial issues. I guess what Im saying is, you have time to figure out some dumb solution to this problem you have but you dont have any way to make extra money to eat with? You have nothing to sell? No family on the entire planet or friends who can throw you a fifty? How could this happen to someone? Are you just a terrible person? Are you addicted to drugs? Do you live in Haiti? You don't have any coupons or special deals of any kind? Why have you chosen this retarded lifestyle where you have to live off of ten dollars a week? How can it be worth it if youve done 25$ for years and are now set to 10$ a week for another year? How did your life end up like this?

Steal, fraud coupons ("Uh yes, Stouffer's I had a plastic container open in my frozen meal, I'd like a refund!" = get a bunch of free product codes in the mail, do this to every company and you'll get hundreds of meals for free.) Walk into grocery stores and eat nuts/vegetables/fruits while walking the isles. If you're genuinely that without option I don't see what else you are to do.

It's energy dense and has many nutrients, and protein. Wouldn't that be a good buy?

beans
rice
ramen
spaghetti
pb sandwich
peanuts

>being this sheltered
wew, you do not deserve that tony gif

This. Hit up soup kitchens if you need to.
Also, many churches have a meal after service. Some have huge breakfast or lunch spreads on Sunday. Just attend the service and you'll be welcome to all you can eat if they aren't assholes (they aren't in my experience).
Try to find Sikh temples. Some give food out every day to anyone and everyone that comes. Just respect their customs. Get your brothers with more time to volunteer to help for a bit if you feel bad for eating there a lot.

I just converted it into units I can understand and holy shit that milk is cheap. I pay like 5 dollars per gallon.

I'd check out this list for a general guideline of the most calorie cheap foods. efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/

Tell your brothers to get second jobs. You are working 13 fucking hours a day and living off TEN FUCKING DOLLARS for food a WEEK for these brats.
Also, go to your local church on Sunday for free meals. Soup kitchens and food pantries are a good idea as well.

if there's a Sikh temple near your place, they usually have dinner together every night, you could go look there, good food with vegetables and carbs

Great people, great food. Just be polite and gracious. :)

>Taking out loans to pay for medical expenses
Do Americans really do this?

Similar to this. At my uni town the Krishnas ran an all you can eat lunch for free every weekday and although vegetarian it was delicious food. They also didn't prosletyze just cooked and served the food.

i have lived like this voluntarily for more than a year. trust me on this one:

- buy legumes. legumes are your best friend, they're cheap as fuck and nutritious.
- flour. yeast. bake everything. flour, yeast, water and salt is all you need to make thousands of kinds of bread.
- grains. get them in bulk. a big enough sack of rice will last you months. I buy 5kg usually.
- motherfucking root vegetables.
- onions and potatoes. the most versatile of vegetables.
- buy the undesirable cuts of meat. buy organs. learn how to make them palatable.

you know nothing, little babbie.

just live off those trips you'll be fine

This, my dude

Gonna be difficult to keep up healthy and tasty, but if you were already pulling 25/week you probably know a lot of cheap alternatives.

You're gonna have to go beans/rice/eggs. Dunno about your area, but I can get 36 eggs for 3.50 near me.

>Actually helping out OP with his problem instead making fun of him
I love you, Veeky Forums.

Have you considered getting food from trash cans?
People throw out perfectly good food all the time

Goto local food pantry
Problem solved

This, but just drop the meat altogether and you'll do it for $10 no probs.

i dont see how this couldnt work:
-1 dozen eggs
-however much rice you can squeeze in

two boiled eggs a day along with a small serving of rice. lots of water, however you can get it, and deffo check out churches, AA meetings, soup kitchens, etc. rice and beans is alright but when you dont have meat or veggies to supplement in, your stomach will adjust and you will stop getting satiated

FOOD BANKS

Pretend to be christian and EZ food

post proof and i'll send you some bucks

no, it's not from autist crypto earnings, but i also bootstrapped my way from poverty and remember how shitty it was

I will too, on the condition that OP provides proof of measures taken to reduce debt payments. There's so many things that should be done to alleviate the supposed situation beyond scrounging on $10/week.

nmcrs.org/
(protip: do NOT lie to these people)

OP you're the virtuous fucking man.

Do a prolonged ECA stack.

go get some work.

Why don't you apply for SNAP

That's what it's there for

>for the next year, possibly longer if I don't catch a break

You're going to need to learn to grow some of your own stuff. If you're in an apartment, you can still grow SOMETHING, even if it's just green onions and spices. Furthermore, there may be some kind of community garden project in your city or town that will give you some space to grow real stuff, like squash and potatoes.

The good news is that if you DO grow your own stuff, you might actually find your cooking skills improving and your meal quality rising due to having more fresh ingredients on hand to work with.

I second Dave Ramsey.

If true, which it isn't, this has got to be one of the worst examples I have ever heard of someone being totally and utterly fucked, largely by their own hand.

He needs to work out some kind of payment plan or something. Bankruptcy is not such a good idea, and he'll still have to pay off the debt.

all you fuckers with your cheap eggs make me so jealous, a carton of 12 eggs costs like $2 minimum here in montreal