robertburns.org/works/416.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=GpimsgfNj7c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rupi Kaur

Auden.

>m.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/september-1-1939

>ten thousand shitty anglosphere mad rhymers
Veeky Forums only knows those, Autistardi and Rambo

The Greeks, Shakespeare, Donne, Browning, cummings, Dickinson, Gerald Manley Hopkins, Keats, Goethe, Schiller, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Shelly, Tennyson, Rumi, Neruda.

It's a start.

Hesiod, Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Cicero, Dante, Chaucer, Spencer, Milton, Wordsworth, Shelley, Blake, Keats, Whitman, Yeats.

this oughta get ya going.

>No mention of Pope

you just did.

>Chaucer, Spencer, Milton, Wordsworth, Shelley, Blake, Keats, Whitman, Yeats

t. Queen Victoria
latin and english, right, mate? xD

This.

Also, Shakespeare (man is still underrated), Baudelaire, Byron, T.S. Eliot (the basic bitch), Percy Shelley, and quite separately Walt Whitman. Those are some of my favorites, give them a look. Should give a scope.

Great list, I'd cut Dickinson, Goethe, Schiller and add Byron and Whitman.

Goethe and Schiller are absolutely brilliant, and their work invaluable to human culture and literature in general. That said, non-native speakers and their work translations. Baudelaire maintained for datromanticism.jpg, same reason I'm adding Byron.

Cutting Dickinson because her poetry is middling and infinitely over-hyped. Wow, early slant rhymes and Rupi Kaur tier spacing. Slant Rhymes are lazy and you don't get bonus points for having a hole instead of a stick.

Adding Whitman to balance against eurocentrism and give a flavor of American literary contribution, however limited. Leaves of Grass is also considered by many to be the only Atheist epic poem, although I find in it a more pagan sense of nature worship. Beautifully written for a sunny day in the good light.

retard pseud

The only poetry I've ever enjoyed is "Leaves of Grass"

>>Cutting Goethe
do you read German?

Why recommend German poets on an English imageboard? The chance anyone here speaks German is low, and reading poetry in translation is retarded.

Some, not enough to read it in the original language. If you read German, of course read German poetry. I read and speak French, some simplified Chinese and speak the associated Mandarin. Girlfriend is a native speaker and has an Ivy masters in education, so I figure I'm in good hands as far as learning that. Looking to explore more as far as Chinese lit, will take reccs.

Better chance to find German speakers here, on Veeky Forums, or on /d/. This was essentially my thinking though, English poetry for English readers and speakers.

K

Thoughts on Frank Stanford? I read the Last Supper excerpt from his Battlefield epic and -I'm not normally a fan of any poetry- that was one of the greatest things I had ever read

>Nici încline a ei limbă
>Recea cumpăn-a gândirii
>Înspre clipa ce se schimbă
>Pentru masca fericirii,
>Ce din moartea ei se naşte
>Şi o clipă ţine poate;
>Pentru cine o cunoaşte
>Toate-s vechi şi nouă toate.

retards

>he fell for the translations meme

kek

GOAT

Autist

Veeky Forums can't into poetry, everybody knows that.

That being said, some of my favorites are:
Stéphane Mallarmé, Rainer Maria Rilke, Fernando Pessoa, John Berryman, Pablo Neruda, Ezra Pound, Paul Valéry, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Ingeborg Bachmann, Paul Celan, William Carlos Williams, García Lorca, Ovid...
Those are the ones available in English (and I unfortunately don't think native anglophone poetry is very good overall), but many of my favorites wrote in my native language: João Cabral de Melo Neto, Augusto dos Anjos, Ferreira Gullar, Sousandrade, Manuel Bandeira, Murilo Mendes, Cassiano Ricardo. I don't know if any of them were translated.

A translation is as good as the translator. Not all translators are good, so reading the original is ideal, but there's nothing wrong with it on principle.
Translating poetry (and literature in general) is an art in itself, and I would encourage any aspiring poet to do it.

Hart Crane

read your Kaur, pleb

The One -- Baudelaire
The Son -- Rimbaud
The Father -- Pound
and the Holy Spirit -- Rilke.

Ariosto

whitman, goethe, rilke, pizarnik, rimbaud, pasternak, neruda, bukowski

Ezra Pound

>and I unfortunately don't think native anglophone poetry is very good overall
You're not trying hard enough, young man.

Compared to Portuguese and French poetry, the only two other languages I know, it seems a bit weak to my tastes. A few that I've read (the ones I mentioned) were fantastic, but much was sort of bland. Whitman didn't capture me as much as I'd hoped, but I loved Frost, and was indifferent on Dickinson and Cummings. I've read sparse poems by a lot of others, but never felt compelled to go more in depth.

Knowing my favorites, what would you recommend me?

I'd say start with The Oxford Book of English Verse (pic related), for a look at poetry from the British Isles.

Specific recommendations (my tastes are quite traditional):

Spenser (epic: The Faerie Queen)
Shakespeare (plays, sonnets)
Milton (various lyrics; epic: Paradise Lost)
Gray (principally his Elegy)
Young (Night Thoughts -- not in Oxford Book)
2nd Gen. Romantics: Byron, Shelley, Keats (my favourite lyric poet, 1819 odes)

If you don't mind reading some translations from Greek and Latin:
Golding - Metamorphoses
Chapman - Iliad, Odyssey

I'm not partial to much of the American poetry I've read, but I agree with you about Frost.

Most of these lists are good. I'd add Cowper, Allan Tate and Wallace Stevens. Melville's poetry is also quite good but not essential

>Veeky Forums essential

no idea.

rupi kaur has had the most impact on the board in that she has been the subject of the most posts and threads.

I honestly don't think Veeky Forums reads much poetry.

my favourites are ted hughes (datjaw, dem crows) and alice oswald.

looking at these threads, it appears that there is no poetry worth reading post the "confessional" movement.
was this robert lowell's endgame?

Unfortunately you're probably right, Veeky Forums only seems to read philosophy and novels. No poetry, no theatre, not even short stories. At least the fact that Rupi is a meme indicates that Veeky Forums is capable of identifying truly bad poetry, which means they could be trained to identify good poetry as well.

Bem patricio

is this real or one of the fakes, I honestly can't tell

It's real (and to be undeservedly charitable to Ms. Kaur, it's probably worse than the average piece from her collection).

Rimbaud and Pound for sure, as far as lit essentials are concerned. Not a lot of poetry on lit though desu.

Abject Willow is a great poem

I dont know if this is the right place to ask, because im new to Veeky Forums and im not sure if anyone here has listened to the album, but does anyone know of any poets who write similarly to the style of cLOUDDEAD?

I like Robbie Burns

robertburns.org/works/416.shtml

(You)

And Wallace Stevens

>Ctrl+F "larkin"
>No results

Fuck you Veeky Forums you fucking plebs.

>Dickinson is middling

I will actually kill you, you buttface

Cicero? What does he have to do with poetry?

Pic-related is my vote for best modernist.

is a good one to read alongside Frost for more straightforward, but obviously masterful verse

If you can't learn from Poe you're either a super-genius of retarded, so read The Raven until your eyes bleed.

this guys list is p good, but I'd include Blake and Wordsworth for older stuff

This guy is a disappointment, but he help a lot of art get made, so I don't hate him.

Try the Black Mountain School if you want good Po-Mo poetry.

Based Berryman

youtube.com/watch?v=GpimsgfNj7c

Dream Song 14

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.
After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,
we ourselves flash and yearn,
and moreover my mother told me as a boy
(repeatingly) "Ever to confess you're bored
means you have no
Inner Resources." I conclude now I have no
inner resources, because I am heavy bored.
Peoples bore me,
literature bores me, especially great literature,
Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes
as bad as Achilles,

who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.
And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag
and somehow a dog
has taken itself & its tail considerably away
into the mountains or sea or sky, leaving
behind: me, wag.

I've been really enjoying Ikkyu and Santoka Taneda lately as well. Both madman zen monks. My favorite collection of verses is the Dhammapada, so I'd reccomend that as well.