Is optimistic nihilism the defining philosophy for the millenial demographic?

Is optimistic nihilism the defining philosophy for the millenial demographic?

youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think of optimism as an emotional disposition that anticipates, or recognizes, good things. But value nihilism is committed to there being no good things.

Help me out, Veeky Forums! What's going on here?

stop

Optimistic nihilism isn't a thing. What these idiots are thinking of is optimistic pessimism.
>sage

Just watch Neil de Grasse tyson videos and post on Reddit until the end of fucking time

Shit like this is produced by bourgeois think tanks to make the middle class complacent while the rich steals all their fucking money and uses literal slaves in the third world to make their trendy glitter iPhone cases.

Go sit in a park with your sweetie! (DON'T HAVE ONE, ALL SOCIAL RELATIONS HAVE DEGENERATED TO ORGYPORGY PROLEFEED NIGHTMARE)

Take Facebook tweet selfies of your stupid bullshit! (ENDLESSLY FOCUS ON DAY-TO-DAY PETTY SOCIALIZING AND LASCHIAN NARCISSISTIC GRANDSTANDING ON SOCIAL MEDIA, ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO LITERALLY PREHISTORICAL LEVELS OF HYPERGAMY IN A WHIRLING GYRE OF MEANINGLESS TINDER FACEFUCKING FOR THE SELECT FEW AND ELLIOT RODGER RESENTMENT FOR THE REST)

Consume trendy garbage and eat cool food :P!!!! (LITERALLY CHINESE NIGGER SLAVES MADE YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT "THINKGEEK.COM" BAUBLES AND DESIGNER STRETCHPANTS, IN ENDLESS WASTELANDS THAT RESEMBLE THE FACTORIES OF INDUSTRIAL ENGLAND MARX WROTE ABOUT IN COMPLETE HORROR)

These people are trying to thought control you into passively reclining and injecting low-effort Mythbusters reddit filth into your brain and ignoring the dull ache of meaninglessness and consumerist overstimulation from inhaling high fructose corn syrup and salt all fucking day

"Optimistic nihilism" is what rich faggots pay slightly less rich faggots to convince lumpenproles to think they're experiencing when they work in a cubicle for 45 years to finance a lifestyle of watching proles modify Nerf guns and design "man caves". Turn off the Youtube and develop some tastes and moral preferences taht an algorithm designed by Amazon can't predict and use to predict your entire life befoer you've evn lived it you peice of fucking shit

I agree with this post even if it reeks of autism.

Now we watch everyone meme about nihilism and everyone else will be typing with their ass.

This, welcome to the age of der letzte mensch

I agree with most of the video and have better revolutionary potential than you.

You know...when you have the money to pay for the things amazon shows you with predictive algorithms, it's actually a pretty useful feature.

>propaganda is the reason Im broke and pussy less. No

The /r9k/ is bleeding through

No, you are thinking of modernism wearing the mask of postmodernism

Stop shilling your video faggot.

At last, NEET-Chan was right. These are truly the Letzter Mensch times.

i love this pasta

>Axioms that there is proof that God does not and cannot exist.
>Axiom that life is absolutely meaningless with no divine, biological or metaphysical rules that guide us.
>Its a good philosophy to not give a fuck about the future or the past because you're the one that matters.
>But wait be nice to people around even though it really does not matter because you know, don't be an asshole. Also despite everything being meaningless you should use those inherent desires to strive towards lofty goals and seek honour and respect from others, so pursue new discoveries and inventions and shit.
>Its a good philosophy to accept as fact that we are literally meaningless specks of matter in a universe that was created without the first cause of a divine being even though that is not possible.

Optimistic nihilism, or just nihilism in general is the most spook-ridden contradictory philosophy you could possibly decide to follow or accept. Imagine being this intellectually stunted you think optimistic nihilism is the logical conclusion to philosophy and life. Especially if you are a stupid brainwashed 20-something Gen-Z faggot who spends 6 hours per day watching shitty Jewish Netflix cartoons and browsing Reddit as though you have already given up on a search for meaning. How can you be a nihilist, believe (or 'know') that God in any way shape or form does not exist even though it has not and cannot be proven, think that existence has no meaning or purpose while simultaneously being optimistic about such an idea.

>DUDE JUST HAVE FUN XD!, DUDE YOU EARN MEANINGLESS BONUS POINTS FOR DISCOVERING SHIT EVEN THOUGH THOSE MEANINGLESS POINTS FOR DISCOVERING SHIT ARE USELESS.

Do you believe in God?

"No, I watch Rick and Morty."

Is there any reason to not be a hedonist if you're a nihilist?

There is l i t e r a l l y no reason

Great, I get to play video games, smoke weed and watch Rick and Morty till I die!
No reason to have children either >:D

most 'optimistic nihilists' are just spooky hedonists who all have absurd beliefs about 'human nature' and 'logic' and junk

They get into nihilism through shit like that video where its all about how space is big and god doesn't exist and humanity doesn't matter and thats just so liberating and exciting!

True nihilism for manly men with hair on their chest is about how god might exist or nothing might exist. How tables definetly don't exist and that every decision you make is pathetic because you're pathetic and weak and should probably kill yourself but whats the point in that. And you go and eat dinner with your parents and you're ashamed that you eat and you're ashamed that you have parents and that you sit on a chair and use a fork and you go up to your room and play video games.

well if you're a hedonist you're not a nihilist, by definition

Its like saying 'is there any reason not to be a muslim if you're an athiest?'

I mean, are you fucking defective?

>hedonism and nihilism are mutually exclusive

dumbest reply I've seen this week

/leftyr9k/ - the post

Why is this video being shilled? It's absolutely awful. It's not philosophy. It's not as useful as a self-help book. It's actual garbage with pretty colours.

optimistic nihilism is the exact same outlook that most urban soyboys engage in. It's the same people who tweet about gay automated luxury communism in a whimsical manner while non-ironically wanting to burn society down

it's thinking they can actually build a utopia in a trust-less borderless favela

kek

>have better revolutionary potential than you.
>pensive skinny book readers thinking they can larp as 19th century steelworkers with rifles

LMAO

a hedonist VALUES pleasure
how can you be a nihilist when you value things?

I unironically agree with this
Incel revolutionaries of this world must unite

truth =/= value

How can you be optimistic if you value nothing?

nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless

I'm not defending "optimistic nihilism", I also think it's a gay misnomer

Ok if that's how we're defining nihilism, you don't have to have values in any meaningful sense of the term to derive physical satisfaction from indulging in hedonistic pleasures. Literally any animal can do that.

Is living on base animalistic impulses a philosophy?

Whatever "optimistic nihilism" is, anything that triggers you guys so much can't be all that bad

Hedonism holds that the highest meaning in life is the satiation of ones desires, nihilism holds that life is inherent absent of meaning. As such the two are mutually exclusive.

Eating a burger because you like burgers does not make you a hedonist.

Epistemological Nihilism necessarily undermines any value judgement

Yes, but an animal cannot subscribe to a philosophical system. So if your 'hedonism' is no different from the behaviour patterns of a fish then it is not hedonism in the philosophical sense of the word.

A hedonist believes pleasure and feeling good is the most VALUABLE thing to human beings. That means he subscribes to a system of values that puts pleasure at the very top: he cannot be a nihilist

Hedonism is a philosophical stance

A little edgy but you're not wrong. We in the West are not innocent. We can't play coy in the world's indifference to us.

So, hedonists would think it's a good idea for men to walk around with vibrating butt plugs in their asses all the time?

Late to the thread. Isn't "optimistic nihilism" just hedonism? And isn't hedonism also nihilism?

Nihilism isn't prescriptive.

But divorcingyourself from the baggage and traditions of the modern left is exactly the point.

How the fuck do you expect me to watch that garbage?

Baseless doesn't mean you can't, it's just as valid as anything else at that point.

Doesn't nihilism reject both objective and subjective values? Wouldn't an actual nihilist find no motivation for any action at all and just cease all action untill he starves to death?

Please do not.

Why?

No, although they would like it to frame it as such.

The real philosophy of millenials is self-indoctrination. A narrow category of practices that, once performed for long enough, wipe all trace of their artificial and learned nature, and as such appear immanent and natural. It's manicured lobotomies marketed as fashionable clothes for the soul. Trade the first sin for inherent vice and Oddysseus stops chasing Ithaka, abandoning hope of returning home for the joy of sailing in circles. If the goal is infinitely distant, why not blind ourselves to it. Knowledge wakes hunger for more knowledge; well then, let us forget what we already have known and feed on the excrement. Even escapism grew impossible - the tunnel is dug, yet it shan't be traversed, freedom from being can only be looked through a glass, dreamed of, but never touched.

Hey, what's wrong with Mythbusters?

>stop liking what I don't like: the thread

Still waiting for someone to provide a more coherent outlook than nihilism.

I watched this video and then I looked at the comments and then I looked at the shares and views and then I remembered that my dad shared this with me when he saw it because he knows I'm interested in philosophy, and then I realized just how many people watched this and actually felt like they had learned something new, when this video is going over points that are over a hundred years old, and that you can even quite easily deduce by yourself.
How do we fix "wow, that's neat" philosophy, Veeky Forums?

Absolutely nothing as long as you accept that it's pure entertainment and not science
I love the show, personally

If you like to define people's beliefs by their actions and not what they say, there are no living nihilists, simply a great deal of poseurs.

>Still waiting for someone to provide a more coherent outlook than nihilism.
How about you fucking read Nietzsche, a philosopher who covered all of this well over a hundred years ago, instead of declaring your own malnourished concepts superior by default just because you haven't done the digging to discover its faults?

Just don't be addicted to believing things.

Channel Nietzsche's spirit bomb energy at us, be specific instead of just saying this guy you like told you something.

>close your eyes
>count to one
>that's how long forever feels

>"this is the logical conclusion to philosophy"
>glazes over the fact that it still has a dogmatic and baseless obsession with scientific truth and then attempts to address the misery that inevitably brings with it, instead of asking why you're mixing science with philosophy at all in the first place

this is unironically 100% correct and what Nietzsche warned us of more than 100 years ago

Try Stocism you fuckface. It's a better version of optimistic nihilism.

>normies initiate a standing ovation so quickly that their chairs all fall over in a huge simultaneous cacophony
>tears streaming down their faces, palms blistering from applause

This is correct. This was ALWAYS correct. Thank you.

"omg I love science xD" is also a similar problem.

I'm not a NEET.
Just say der Letzte Mensch, you stupid monoglot.
When I use 'Letzter Mensch' it is because is almost always directed at a person, so no article is needed, hence requiring that 'Letzte' be given a masculine ending (Mensch is masculine because patriarchy or something).

>(DON'T HAVE ONE, ALL SOCIAL RELATIONS HAVE DEGENERATED TO ORGYPORGY PROLEFEED NIGHTMARE)
Correction: *I CAN'T GET A GIRLFRIEND

I didn't even try and I have a loving, monogamous girlfriend of two years. We don't use social media to validate our time together. We don't obsessively contact each other when we're apart. Literally just do the same thing most humans who have ever had a successful relationship across history: be smart in your choices, be attractive on some level, demonstrate value, and stop whining like a fucking child

Autistic, too heavy on the /r9k/ mindset, but inspired. Truly inspired.

Nihilism is aesthetic, not epistemological, you stupid fuck.
I am an epistemological nihilist because I do not believe that 'truth' is something obtainable. I am in no way an aesthetic nihilist, or an ontological nihilist.

This.
It's only value is explosions and cheap comedy.

Stoicism is the worst thing ever, so no.

If you think tranquility is the worse thing ever, then okay.

please dont tell me they said it was the logical conclusion to philosophy in the video

nihilism isn't coherent or an outlook

bait harder redditus maximus

so what you are trying to say is you are a middle class zero, a statistic, going through his pointless life, more because it is a habit rather than because he actually makes something out of it, that will be forgotten at best 50 years after his death

Wowee, look at those goalposts move
And to think you actually thought this would be some sort of Good Will Hunting moment that would garner you dozens of replies

Save it for when it counts, mate

>avoiding the actual point of the post
and that's how i know i'm right

Who gives a fuck if anyone will be remembered or not. Even the people that are remembered will eventually be forgotten. You think most people remember who Nikola Tesla, Marcus Aurelius, or Frederic Chopin were?

Are you actually 16?

>le rebbit video
no thanks

>giving these faggots youtube (you)s.
hooktube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

I bet all those memories of you will make your lifeless, rotting corpse feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

>Nay, seek not to speak soothingly to me of death, glorious Odysseus. I should choose, so I might live on earth,1 to serve as the hireling of another, of some portionless man whose livelihood was but small, rather than to be lord over all the dead that have perished.

Take an upvote kind sir.

One: it does not lead to anything near tranquility, it leads to slavery; two: tranquility is not good.

>atheist
As expected.

"Optimistic nihilism". Isn't nihilism actually optimistic already?

Rarely are /r9k/ posts like this so spot on

A fresh pasta is born

>le edgy larping Christian meme

More like reheated

Existentialism and Nihilism are babbys first philosophy

No, Stoicism is. Those two come next, often shortly after.

Stoicism at least has some practical value, very little can be found in the other two.

>practical value
This isn't a good thing.
Practicality is a sin.

If I didn't like you I'd shoot you.