How do you cope with the fact that one day you will die and all of this will come to an end?

How do you cope with the fact that one day you will die and all of this will come to an end?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/how-has-life-expectancy-changed-throughout-history-2015-6
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Throw yourself even harder into living and experiencing new things.

Why though? Nothing will matter when the times comes.

Everything matters because the time comes.

But it will matter before that.

This guy gets it.

I think I love you

Pizza

Tell that to someone who watched their mother die and is starving.

Do my best to ignore it. The sun is slowly burning out too so that adds to it, not even great works of art will survive. At the same time we are animals with pleasure centers in our brains, so try to take advantage of that with music, books, family, friends. Heroin and alcohol are just too scary.

buddha managed it...they need to man up

Some day there wont be anyone around to listen to music,appreciate a painting or read a book.
It creeps me the fuck out.

woah...

queue creshendo-core

There's, like, no point maaaaan. Let's do shrooms and pretend like we enjoy each other's company, dude. Let's go on Twitter and play like we're curiously aloof even though we're really just insecure. Haha bro we'll are suffering but like it's cool because we're self-aware.

>babby's first existential crisis

Within most of our life times technology will exist that stops the decay of cells and expands the human life span indefinitely. Death is the biggest obstacle for human progress. After our brightest minds can live for thousands of years without aging a day we will progress forward in huge leaps never before seen in history. Most of the world's issues will become obsolete.

Confirmed that you haven't actually read anything.

I like the idea of life having closure. I want to be an old man on my deathbed and be able to look back on my life in its entirety and feel content.

Pray for the truth, and for the faith to recognize and follow it, and time and death will lose their hold on you.

Within the last 150 years we already HAVE progressed in a huge leap never before seen in history. Death is not an obstacle or even a limiter; nothing will ever prevent it. If you really think this it's because your life itself is an obstacle that prevents you from achieving what you really want to achieve.

At Savatthi. Then King Pasenadi Kosala approached the Blessed One in the middle of the day and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him: "Well now, great king, where are you coming from in the middle of the day?"

"Just now, lord, I was engaged in the sort of royal affairs typical of head-anointed noble-warrior kings intoxicated with the intoxication of sovereignty, obsessed by greed for sensual pleasures, who have attained stable control in their country, and who rule having conquered a great sphere of territory on earth."

"What do you think, great king? Suppose a man, trustworthy and reliable, were to come to you from the east and on arrival would say: 'If it please your majesty, you should know that I come from the east. There I saw a great mountain, as high as the clouds, coming this way, crushing all living beings [in its path]. Do whatever you think should be done.' Then a second man were to come to you from the west... Then a third man were to come to you from the north... Then a fourth man were to come to you from the south and on arrival would say: 'If it please your majesty, you should know that I come from the south. There I saw a great mountain, as high as the clouds, coming this way, crushing all living beings. Do whatever you think should be done.' If, great king, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life — the human state being so hard to obtain — what should be done?"

"If, lord, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life — the human state being so hard to obtain — what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

"I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what should be done?"

"As aging and death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?

"There are, lord, elephant battles [fought by] head-anointed noble-warrior kings intoxicated with the intoxication of sovereignty, obsessed by greed for sensual pleasures, who have attained stable control in their country, and who rule having conquered a great sphere of territory on earth; but there is no use for those elephant battles, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. There are cavalry battles... chariot battles... infantry battles... but there is no use for those infantry battles, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. In this royal court there are counselors who, when the enemies arrive, are capable of dividing them by their wits; but there is no use for those battles of wits, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. In this royal court there is abundant bullion and gold stored in vaults and depositories, and with such wealth we are capable of buying off enemies when they come; but there is no use for those battles of wealth, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. As aging and death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

"So it is, great king! So it is, great king! As aging and death are rolling in on you, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

That is what the Blessed One said. Having said that, the One Well-Gone, the Teacher, further said this:

Like massive boulders,
mountains pressing against the sky,
moving in from all sides,
crushing the four directions,
so aging and death
come rolling over living beings:
noble warriors, brahmans, merchants,
workers, outcastes, & scavengers.
They spare nothing.
They trample everything.

Here elephant troops can hold no ground,
nor can chariots or infantry,
nor can a battle of wits
or wealth win out.

So a wise person,
seeing his own good,
steadfast, secures confidence
in the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha.

One who practices the Dhamma
in thought, word, & deed,
receives praise here on earth
and after death rejoices in heaven.

Keep dreaming, buddy. Even if such a technology is developed in your lifetime, which it probably won't be, it would be decades before it was made available to plebs, if ever.

> After our brightest minds can live for thousands of years without aging a day we will progress forward in huge leaps never before seen in history.
Except we wouldn't be getting any new brightest minds because the only way to sustain an immortal population would be with strict population control.

>Death is not an obstacle, nothing will ever prevent it
people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive, you're a fucking moron who needs to read up on modern science.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
“See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away.”
And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.”

Put it off until I'm 80 or something, then you can think about shit like that.

>let me insert my cynical and irrelevant opinion as if it's fact even though I know nothing about the subject
People said that microwaves would never be cheap enough for lower class people to own. Also through creative innovation the world can easily sustain a much larger population and we can go on to colonize other solar systems. You're just stuck in your ways, I don't blame you. Used to think the same asinine shit.

Amen.

Why even bother thinking about it? It's not like you'll ever experience anything other than life.

Okay dude, far be it from me to insult your faith.

>people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive
Holy shit you're retarded.

Do you really think there will be closure? I can't imagine ever not wanting to be alive. Especially if everything ends.

We are in the baby stages of human progress, keep an open mind. You might be surprised what becomes possible in your lifetime. There's billionaires racing to find a cure to aging. This technology when found could be so easy to produce that it would be impossible to not be available to the general public. As for the over population meme, it's more of a lack of innovation we have, not over population. Before the agricultural revolution for instance the Earth was not able to sustain 7 billion people. Through more technological advances we will be able to easily support a larger population and human progress will explode when our brightest scientists no longer die and rely on future generations to pick up after them. There's jelly fish that can only die from being killed by predators, their cells never decay. Like I said, keep an open mind. We are but cavemen in the face of what's to come.

>Do you really think there will be closure?
Well, not if I die unexpectedly, but then it won't really be a problem, will it? People who are on death row usually make peace with their death by the time

> I can't imagine ever not wanting to be alive.
It's not that I don't want to live as long as possible, I just find something romantic about being at the end. Maybe it's just because it seems a long way off. But I like to think if I was at the end I would be more focused on appreciating the past than the non-existent future.

how so?

>fucking japs in the 1940s

That statistic is mostly due to high infant mortality. Once you made it to adulthood you always had a decent chance of making it to at least 70. How could you fall for this meme? It's not like accounts of old people are uncommon in premodern times.

If I knew the world was ending tomorrow, I'd do the same shit and the same shitposting I've always done.

Though it's more of a lazy thing than an artistic thing.

Maybe he should be motivated enough to avoid such a fate himself

>atheists
Cancer
>technology will exist...
Progressivist cancer.

Damn...

>human progress
Why do idiots think this meme is valid?
hurr durr muh unending progress
My fucking ass, read some literature on the subject instead of circle-jerking to science cult nonsense.
LE STARDUST LMAO XDDD

yo.

We can keep arguing if you want, I am not wrong lol. businessinsider.com/how-has-life-expectancy-changed-throughout-history-2015-6

Dude the universe will die because of this thing called uh entropy. It always increases over time ... It's some law or something where everything trends toward compete equilibrium. So what's the point?

>the world is flat!! LMAO LE ROUND WORLD XDDDD
that's you faggot

Personally I can't wait. Well, I can, but honestly I don't feel like there's anything for me here but my family. Once we have grown old together I would welcome death.

I think that's the thing. I don't appreciate the past like that. I like eating a big piece of pecan pie more than thinking about, even though thinking about it can be good sometimes.

It is flat, why does that offend you?
>muh cancer epistemology

None of that supports the assertion that "people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive."

that makes all the moments they lived with their mom more precious and meaningful

t. someone who has actually lost a family member

This knowledge can be debilitating, and it's also pragmatically counterproductive. So what I do is keep at bay any notion of the transcendental, or any relationship between the pragmatic and the metaphysical. Basically it is complete denial of any meaning beyond what is most useful to me at the moment. Like right now, for example, I am masturbating into a sock (other hand), while ignoring any notion of what this action means for me morally, metaphysically, spiritually, etc.

Flat earthers ought to be thrown off the edge of the planet. Bunch of faggots.

Imagine being such a meek beta that death actually frightens you.

You've yet to provide any support of your assertion that I'm incorrect. Hell even in 1990 you were likely to not live past 50. Keep jacking off in your own mouth, faggot.

A lot of friends,love, sex, and drugs. Of course all of that would mean nothing if it weren't interspaced with violence, fear and self loathing.

But on the other hand, life isn't all pecan pies. Day to day living can actually be pretty dull, but when you look back on a time with nostalgia you're distilling it down to its best features and moments. Anyway, I'm not really trying to argue that reflecting on the totality of one's life is the best part of life, just that it seems like an experience worth having and that thought makes death less scary to me.

nice

Where are your limits? Say you began lusting for the murder of children and had a risk free method for doing the deed. Would you stay your innate morality?

WAAAH HOW DARE HE CRITICIZE MY INCORRECT IDEOLOGY

You don't. Just accept that this Universe is inherently evil, its fabric is suffering.
Living your whole life for nothing and being forgotten for all eternity is just the tip of the iceberg by the way.
Were you to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, you'd feel unending fear and despair for the rest of your life.

>Were you to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, you'd feel unending fear and despair for the rest of your life.
t. Lovecraft character

I can get along with that. Reflecting on it all at the end is a part of life too, or at least it can be.

>whooshing this hard

Joke was a softball and you missed it. Is it tough being that retarded?

>i made a bad joke so everybody else is le dumb xDDD

Well, you asked for it.

The simple truth is that death is not the end. It would have been way, way too easy if it was that simple.

When you die, the subatomic particles that once made up your brain's frontal lobe - your consciousness, your memories, your very experience of existence - are recycled in a graveyard's small ecosystem. Whole groups of molecules that were once part of "yourself" are digested by maggots, worms, grasshoppers, roots of plants, and those groups of molecules are used as the fabric of these small creature's cells, including brain cells. Because we cannot feel the passage of time while we are dead - just like you immediately wake up after falling asleep without dreaming -, you will always "wake up" after dying, usually as a small creature like an insect, a frog or a bird, occasionally returning as a cow, gorilla or human. All of your memories, all of your experiences, from your previous lives, are always forgotten, and you always eventually return. And just as the vast majority of these creatures - from bugs to humans - experiences primarily suffering, you are also destined to experience suffering for all eternity. The molecules that once were part of your sentience will always be recycled through nature and eventually reach other sensorial organs of other organisms. And because you cannot experience time when dead, it will be as though you were constantly alive, constantly miserable and constantly suffering, with no brakes or intervals. You may laugh at me, but there are more than enough scientific experiments that track radioactively marked molecules in an ecosystem over time, showing that the molecules of a creature's brains will eventually end up being the molecules of a brain of other creatures, if not, at least be part of cells of other creatures. You'll always keep coming back. Eventually, this Universe's celestial bodies will all vanish and there will be nothing left but black holes, slowly erasing all information of the Universe through Hawking radiation decay, until there is nothingness left and another Universe can spawn from a quantum fluctuation and you have to go through it all over again.

Again, you may laugh at me, because you're dumb, because you don't understand what I'm even talking about, or simply because you live a comfortable life and don't care about these matters, but in that case, bear in mind: the absolute majority of living things in this planet don't afford the luxury to scratch their balls and shitpost on Veeky Forums each day. They deal with suffering in their everyday lives. Humans and animals. Rich and poor. Smart and dumb. Tall and short. Ugly and handsome. Suffering is the fabric of this Universe and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to change it.

Dharma, Buddha, Sangha.

Eh, all of the atoms and cells from when a person is born are likely replaced by others by the time they die.

Best to go full on ascetic contemplative desu.

what culture is that from?

Feels good man. desu i want to get out now but I have too much stuff to do. Knowing that one day my body will force me to quit is a good feeling.

Holy...

That's all the more reason to feel anger at this Universe. See, you aren't even yourself. When you look back to the past and see yourself when you were 5, 10, 15, that's not really you. Hard to explain, but, essentially, memories have been planted in your brain and you believe previous persons were yourself but they were not. Look up "Last Thursdayism".

Pic is Gautama Buddha during ascetic phase.

I'm a pretty devout Catholic, so I'm convinced that there's a life after this one. What exactly it will be like I can't say, but I think it will be good.

no shit i know what it is, i'm asking who made it, since it doesn't look like stereotyped oriental art, but it's obviously greco-bactrian after i thought about it for two seconds

There is no death for the honorable

You kidding? I can't wait till I die. Death is the sweet, glorious prize at the end of a mostly shitty but scenic road and I want to earn my death.

Stoicism. Read Stoicism.

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.

league of legends desu

I want more.

I drink way too much, have guilty casual sex, and read things that constantly remind me of my own mortality.

It's a veru healthy set of lifestyle choices.

I had a minor manic attack, screamed at my cat for forty five minutes until the neighbors threatened to call the cops, then went out on the hunt for a good burger and a six pack of Coors Banquet.

Perhaps you could make some recommendations of said literature, you know, in the name of progress.
Instead of acting like an elitist retarded child.

>progress
Go back to /r/eddit
>elitism is bad
Sorry, you're the retarded child here.

>in early 20s, possibly teens.

I'll forgive you my child.

I'm nearly 30. You are the child.

It's comforting. Life is absurd and often abstract, so it is good to know that at least the end doesn't change. It gives meaning by itself to what you do.

In that case I feel sorry for you. Carry on my man-child.

I think his joke was fine desu

I look forward to the day of my death

Just forget about it and be a hedonist

>falling for jewish tricks

there's a reason the church made suicide a sin

Because I will one day die and it will all come to an end. You cannot avoid that reality so why be upset by it?

Exactly.

>jewish tricks
You know suicide is considered a transgression in Judaism, right? You're not even supposed to grieve over a person who killed himself like you do with the other dead. And the command that is taken from the Torah as a prohibition to commit suicide is the one forbidding murder, one of the seven laws of Noah, that are give to the gentiles.
But I guess it more fun to meme "le juice" over everything.

Jesus does the coping for me, I love him