I'm a manager at pic related...

I'm a manager at pic related. corporate is making a series of stupid fucking decisions but now they give us a couple end caps we can set ourselves without input.

I'm going to make a Veeky Forums on in my store. any recommendations? I won't put up Infinite Jest though because that's a garbage book.

Don't make it Veeky Forums related. You want bookends to be supportive.

when does your company go out of business?

it isn't Veeky Forums without infinite jest.

anyway, i would include:
moby dick
ulysses
taipei
crying of lot 49
white noise
milk & honey
fault in our stars
plato's republic
lolita
stoner

Gravity's Rainbow
Journey to the End of the Night
Stoner
some Calvino
The Savage Detectives
Lolita

If you do this you HAVE to post pics

Make sure De Sade and Stoner and Baudelaire are in there too

Edgar Allan Poe is must.

We survived the whole shitty Nook debacle so probably stick around for quite a while. We were in the black last I knew. Maybe once Amazon becomes it's own nationstate and just starts buying up anyone they can.

>milk & honey
This has it's own endcap and I despise that "poetry". It's also been on the bestseller shelf up front so I don't need it on another promo

>moby dick
>lolita
>ulysses
>plato's republic

all great choices. I actually really like the prose in lolita so that was my staff rec this month.

An anthology?

jesus christ retail is the abyss

Don't actually do this OP

Otherwise I'd add:
The Brothers K
The Iliad
The Trial
The Stranger
Don Quixote
In Search of Lost Time

Also GR over CoL49

Not wrong

>The Savage Detectives
2666 is better.
I'd recommend putting up stuff that's good but can still sell and looks attractive enough. So,

>Inherent Vice
>V.
>Moby Dick
>The Sound and the Fury
>2666
>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>White Noise
>Confessions of a Mask
>The Brothers K
>Anna Karenina
>The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
>Memories of Hadrian
>The Waves
>Don Quixote
>Fictions (Borges)
>Blood Meridian
>Hopscotch

And maybe Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow.

>putting milk and honey, fault in our stars on the same list as these greats

You need the meme trilogy
Veeky Forums staples
-Moby Dick
-Inferno
-Lolita
-Stoner
-Iliad

just put every wordsworth classic you have and thats it.

I know this doesn't affect you directly, but I deliberately mix books up whenever I go to B&N. I'll literally go and grab random shit from random shelves and misplace them in like, the travel section, I'll hide them behind the writing journals. I'll look for popular books or ones that there are only one copy of and then fuck off with it and leave it behind some magazines. You know that little table next to the restroom where customers are supposed to leave their shit so as not to steal. I'll go and grab it and scurry off and place them in random places. I fucking hate you guys. There is a cool cashier I often talk to. Older guy who is incredibly nice and soft spoken. I like him. But only him. Everything else can fuck off.

>I know this doesn't affect you directly, but I deliberately mix books up whenever I go to B&N

It doesn't affect me at all, unfortunately. Lots of customers are idiots or lazy and just put things where they think they got them from (they're wrong) or the closet shelf. I have booksellers who are paid to fix stuff like that all the time.

Glad I can have a hand in giving those cocksuckers something to do. I swear they spend their shift fucking off into the break/stockroom or standing behind the cashwrap playing with their stupid lanyards with their stupid names on them. There's like one that actually does work and pushes around those heavy shelves to restock, but the rest are a bunch of do-nothing motherfuckers. Except that one cashier. He's always getting people to sign up for your membership card cause he's a boss and actually gives a fuck. You should give that guy a raise, man. But yeah. Then I'll usually walk over to whole foods next door and steal some granola bars and triple milled soaps and call it a day.

>mfw I spend 8 hours a day in B&N
>Pennsylvania, no idea where you
>mfw this is still mostly all true

>go to Barnes and Noble
>pick up Mein Kampf, Lolita, and The God Delusion
>waiting in line for ages
>light up a stogie
>start loudly chatting up old ladies and families in line next to me
>thumb through the expensive knick-knacks next to the checkout, knocking several onto the floor, and repeatedly tell my fellow line-goers to “look at all this horseshit”
>complain that there are too few cashiers per customer, allege that this is the fault of “kikes”
>finally reach the checkout
>array the books so their covers are all facing up
>toss them onto the counter in a radial formation, all facing directly at the cashier, a slightly overweight girl in her early 20s
>she looks down at them and pauses, her jaw dropping in disbelief as the fuhrer himself stares back up at her
>blow smoke into her face and ask “some kind of problem, toots?”
>she coughs and nervously stutters the name of the book, as if to verify that someone could ever purchase it intentionally
>“yeah” I reply, before placing my index finger on the cover of Lolita, and leaning across to her side of the counter
>“and this one’s about a pedophile”
>her face is now wan with shock and horror
>“oh my god,” she mutters
>“God’s dead, honey”
>everyone around us goes dead silent
>pick up the books and leave without paying
>no one even calls security

jej

mon visage quand I own 90% of the books in this thread and have read like 4 so far.

Free books tho

I'm not the OP but I unironically like B&N on general principles and have no truck with Amazon. Shame on you for not instead wishing Amazon to go out of business, because Amazon, Facebook and Twitter are the things that should go out of business, and more importantly, /be replaced with nothing/. That's what should take place.

What are corporate's stupid decisions? One thing I've noticed about the stores in the past few years are how the "New Age/Occult" section now has more flowery/bullshit descriptors for what everyone knows darn well is the babby's first occult section. likewise I think the "sex" section or such is now called "lifestyles" or softer language.

I did have a membership over a recent year, but I canceled it once I figured that it wouldn't make sense for the coming year - my glut of buying meme-books has stalled, mostly.

What about the ultimate meme?

>not putting up infinite jest
pleb

>God's dead
>No Nietzsche
disappoint

you have however inspired me to go and buy 1984 while wearing a tinfoil hat

Women and Men
The Recognitions
The Lime Twig
The Tunnel

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
Hypersphere

Prove you actually are a manager at B&N. I want to see the uniform and/or badge.

I'm calling bullshit otherwise.

lmaoing @ sears rn

Why does everyone dislike B&N and/or Amazon.

Because they are killing small and independent bookstores, which have superior atmosphere and staff and often better quality or rarer books than B&N. Amazon does provides an online platform for many independent sellers though

BN - Worst atmosphere here
Amazon - Meh decent, small amount of damage to books here and there.

I love Amazon, personally. If you live in a mid-to-large city, I can see the argument about Amazon/B&N/Borders putting independent shops out of business. But if you've ever lived in a rural area where your best selection of books was the romance novel section at the supermarket, you'd recognize how great it is to have the ability to have any book you could want delivered to your house.

HYPERSPHERE

>All these meme suggestions
OP, you might as well print out the image of Veeky Forums's Top 100 books for 2016, and throw darts at it until you have enough books to fill the end cap.

>uniform and/or badge.

>uniform
It's business casual clothing. I can show you the button up I wore today if you really want?

>What are corporate's stupid decisions

They want my store to have 2 fixture for pop figures. Each fixture holds about 160 figures. They send us over 700 and then get cross that we have product in the back room.

They recently got rid of "new arrivals" shelves for the different sections and instead everythings is just alphabetical. So you can't just browse new releases in Sci-Fi or History or whatever.

They got rid of the bays in music for sale price CDs, different bays for genres in CDs, etc. It's all alphabetical. So you can't browse your country or your rap or your 4.99. If you ask a music seller where the christian music is at best they can gesture vaguely to all the music instead of walking you to the section like they could last year.

They're testing different levels of membership. This is a semi-good idea, because one of the ideas is that a higher level membership can price match with amazon/BN.com, in addition to one free drink/month at our cafe; this would be any drink. So your giga-frap for example.

I don't know about your store, but my store the sex section is still sexuality with a very small (2 lesbian kama stura books) on LGBT sexuality. The occult section is now "Paganmism, Mysticism, and Wicca", "Supernatural", and "Ancient Mysteries and Conspiracies".

> wouldn't make sense for the coming year - my glut of buying meme-books has stalled, mostly.
No worries man,you do you. If you don't see yourself spending around 200 dollars a year on product at BN for yourself or other people it's not super worth it. Keep in mind they'll be pushing a lot of meme coupons this year as opposed to last year (so 30% off a thriller, 20% off a teen fantasy, etc) instead of the useless godiva or nook coupons.

IJ sucks. DFW sucks.

How does one become a B&N manager? Do you have to work your way up through the various shelving, sorting, checkout etc jobs first?

>IJ sucks. DFW sucks

The recognitions meme needs to die. That book is trash

Was it autism?

>Lolita
>Confessions of Victor X
>La Confirmacion
>The New Epicurean

Honestly whatever you're personal feelings, you can't leave out IJ and call it Veeky Forums themed. That as an essential piece of the board culture.

your*

external applicant needs several years of management experience at a similar sized operation

I started as a bookseller and within a year I was cross trained in the other areas of the store (music, receiving, cafe). every employee is checkout trained bc thats what you do the first two weeks you're hired

at the end of the year we had a merchandise manager leave unexpectedly so I asked if I could fill the job in the interim and they just gave it to me when I completed the curriculum. two years after that I started the store manager curriculum bc everyone else was stupid as fuck, did my test, and then here I am