Canadian here who's lived in the UK, why is American chocolate and candg of such fucking shit quality...

Canadian here who's lived in the UK, why is American chocolate and candg of such fucking shit quality? Every time I go over to the states (about 4 months of the year) I'm at a loss for what to bring my family back as all your confectionaries taste like bits of pure sugar (And in the case of your chocolate, vomit). Can anyone explain?

Hey I agree most of our candy is pretty bad, but Hershey's w Almonds is top-tier.

PGPR

That's like only trying Budweiser and saying that all of are beer tastes like garbage. I'm not saying we have the best chocolate in the world by any means - which IS true about our beer - but you can get real, American made chocolate literally anywhere other than Walmart that's pretty good.

bring them back some of these

We have these in Canada. They're alright.

find these and bring them back

>I'm not saying we have the best chocolate in the world by any means - which IS true about our beer

pic related has better beer

Oh god, the delusion. You're not even in the top 3.

every sweet shop aside from one or two I've been to in New York (which I spend about 2 months in for the past 3 years) has failed to produce competent chocolate. I think it might just be the standard for chocolate in your country, which is an overly sweet mess.

All the beer I've had in Germany has been good, but I can't remember any standouts that changed my world. I'd say as a baseline you guys know how to make a good and sturdy brew.

You can find every possible Belgian (or wherever) chocolate in NY, dumbshit. People know what is actually good when they're not from some shithole Southern state (and have a little money).

Chocolate in is US is not made with fresh milk to save money, and now people are nostalgic for that same taste so they won't change the ingredients.

Still doesn't change the fact that the standard for American made chocolate is shit. I'm not talking about chocolate made in other countries, I'm talking about the chocolate made by your own people on your own soil.

If I wanted imported Belgian chocolate of course anyone could find that shit anywhere.

>I'm not talking about chocolate made in other countries, I'm talking about the chocolate made by your own people on your own soil
>I think it might just be the standard for chocolate in your country, which is an overly sweet mess

Nobody making chocolate in this country is trying to emulate fucking Hershey's. Nobody over the age of 10 even eats that shit, unless maybe their camping and making s'mores for nostalgia reasons.

Literally all the 30+ year olds I know in the states swear by the taste of Hersheys and eat that shit regularly.

I'm 30+ and actually live in the states. You're just spouting bs.

Are you kidding? You can't even get a fucking Kinder Egg you doss cunt.

>can't even get a fucking Kinder Egg

You can get kinder eggs (if you actually want to) literally anywhere in the States that has places not put out of business by Walmart. Stop believing stupid shit you read on the internet.

Where? I haven't seen any and want to try one.

> be britbong
> move to America
> try chocolates like Hershey’s
> all taste legitimately like puke
> find out butyric acid is used as a milk preservative in the US
> the same thing that makes puke taste like puke

What the fuck is wrong with you guys

>And in the case of your chocolate, vomit
American chocolate manufacturing process introduces butyric acid (which gives vomit that signature vomit taste) into the chocolate while British/European and Japanese processes don't. That's why most American mass-market chocolates taste vaguely like vomit.

As for Canadian chocolates, it's mostly British process.

>American
Hershey's*

I'm not so sure about some of the Mars chocolate candy bars sold in the U.S. I think they might be mixing milk pellets (w/ butyric acid) with fresh milk to save money.

You're welcome to extrapolate and apply my correction of "Hershey's" to all mass-produced US chocolate. Like the other user said above, judging US chocolate by Hershey's or Mars is like judging US beers by Bud or Miller. Go find any local chocolatier; they won't be as prevalent as our numerous micro-breweries that even appear in many smaller towns, but there's no point in consuming nothing but Kraft Singles™ if you're looking for cheese that isn't shit.

can't make any excuses, Canabro. I would say it's because most of us are addicted to the taste of sugar and corn syrup and actual chocolate/honey/fruit flavors offend us.

picrelated is the only American candy I really enjoy

>Like the other user said above, judging US chocolate by Hershey's or Mars is like judging US beers by Bud or Miller.

I know there are plenty of competent chocolate makers in the U.S., but it's bizarre to say you can't judge what American concept of chocolate is by largest selling brands like Hershey or Mars. Plenty of countries have lowest-common-denominator and flawed but still competent chocolates as their best selling chocolates (UK - Cadbury -- too sugary and not chocolatey enough, but edible, Japan - Meiji -- kinda waxy, but still good), but something that literally tastes like vomit.

>it's bizarre to say you can't judge what American concept of chocolate is by largest selling brands like Hershey or Mars
From a standpoint of actually caring about the taste of the food you're consuming, you are wrong to judge any creation by that which the stupid masses prefer. Well over 51% of people are essentially food-retarded, and have no idea what good chocolate, cheese, or beer can taste like. I would much rather judge a country's chocolate, cheese, or beer by that which is appreciated by those who have a greater experience with various styles and qualities.

>literally anywhere that hasn't been put out of business by walmart

I've been to every small grocery chain and ma & pa shop in my town and have never seen kinder eggs. I think you're bullshitting.

did you have a stroke user
you gotta go to the monasteries for a really good brew
>pic related

At first I thought they were something pickled from the thumbnail.

I just bought a Kinder Egg at Wawa.
I think the US version may be different from the EU version, but they still had them. Honestly, I wasn’t impressed. The toy didn’t intrigue me, and the candy part was overly sweet and I really think much of it. Ferrero Rocher makes a similar type if chocolate, but it’s cheaper, tastes better, and you get more. No toy but I wouldn’t really buy another Kinder Egg given my experience.

Hershey's choco is weak, so i dont buy.

Was responding to

Dude this is completely different from the actual kinder surprise. Real Kinder eggs are a solid milk chocolate shell with white chocolate on the inside. I have idea what you posted could even taste like.

Your mass produced stuff really isn't any better.
You want decent chocolate from either continent you have to go a little boutique.

There’s very good US made chocolate but it’s not always the readily available chocolate from convenience stores.
Guittarf makes excellent chocolate. They do make bars for eating, and other chocolate treats, but most of the chocolate is made in forms for bakers. The chocolate chips and wafers they make are actually nice for snacking on if you buy a bag.
Ghirardelli also makes really good chocolate. They make bars for eating, hot chocolate mixes, and other snacks, although my preference is just to buy a bag of bittersweet or semisweet chips, leave them in the fridge, and grab a handfull when I want a snack. The Ghirardelli chips are readily available at many supermarkets and Walmart and cost maybe $3 per bag.
Scharffen Berger makes ridiculously good chocolate both for snacking and baking. I reallllly love the Nibby bars. They’re now owned by Hersheys but still great chocolate. I prefer their cocoa powder to other brands.
For chesp readily available chocolate I like Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews. They make a milk chocolate version, but the regular dark chocolate is better. They’re now owned by Just Born Inc., the maker of Peeps and some other candies I don’t like.
Most people I know still eat hersheys kisses, and the mini chocolate bars that are handed out on Halloween.

This is the type of Kinder Egg legally sold in the USA. I know it’s not the same as the ones sold overseas. I presumed the filling may be the same type of thing as the genuine Kinder Eggs sold outside the USA.

Butyric acid is in most cheese too. I don't understand how Europeans can eat cheese and then complain about chocolate that tastes like cheese.

ill never understand how people say it tastes like vomit- it literally tastes like generic sugary milk chocolate. and i fucking love it. it's perfect for smores. blow me.

they sell regular kinder eggs in the US, the Joy model is specifically for warmer climates where the chocolate shell would melt

Then buy dark chocolate?

Didn’t realize that. It’s currently freezing outside so I don’t understand why they’re selling the cold weather version. Still didn’t impress me though.

What the fuck lol
here's a real kinder egg

Hershey's is delicious you bell end

Americans are good at making money so we figure out how to sell the cheapest lowest quality ingredients to the lowest common denominator. It's not really about making the best tasting candy.

Go for the neon candy, aka gummies and sours and shit. We're great at chemistry, not cooking

YOU SHOULDN'T EAT CHOCOLATE THE SUPPLY IS IN CRISIS

>Ferrero makes similar chocolate to Ferrero
No shit

difference is, cheese is supposed to be tangy

It really is hard to escape the idea that foreigners have some inferiority complex about America, considering they'll find LITERALLY ANY reason to complain about America in ANY context.

Well, i'm American, and they're right our chocolate is garbage.

>I presumed the filling may be the same type of thing as the genuine Kinder Eggs sold outside the USA.
Kinder eggs do not have a filling though, unless you count the toy but I would not recommend eating that.

Maybe lower your expectations slightly for a fucking 90 cent piece of candy.

First of all, I lived in UK for 2.5 years.

Cadbury is better than Hershey, yes, but it's still shit.

And there is plenty of decent chocoalte in USA. Yes hershey and nestle, etc. suck but their is lindt, ritter, godiva, etc. and other brands that are at least decent.

Same in England too. It's not htat american chocolate sucks; it's that the cheap mass produced chocolate

exactly! It's not that chocolate in USA sucks; it's that Hershey's sucks.

Don't know where you shop, but most places have dark chocolate that isn't so sweet. Sounds like your being willingly ignorant/retarded

then you need a better circle of friends, mate

We have other brands of chocolate, you dolt.

It would be me like going to england and having Warburton Bread and complaing it's so soft and cake-like.

So shut your gob, mate

>you’re delusional
From an Amerilard. Oh the ironing.
There’s better beer in most European countries than USA. Slow down on the meth, Cletus.

>The chocolate chips and wafers they make are actually nice for snacking on if you buy a bag.

Glad to know I"m not the only person who does this (I get the dark ones)

Where please?

Stupidity runs wild in America. They simply don't know better and refuse to educate themselves. It's some innate ignorance that they possess. So yeah, the average American thinks Hersheys repesents a top-tier brand. It's the American way. Pure ignorance/stupidity.

It' really more that we're inundated with so much marketing from these hugeass companies like Hersheys that people just automatically think of that brand when buying chocolate. Not to mention they're given more promjnent and easily accessible shelf space. I guess you can term it "stupid," but in reality those kinds of campaigns can't really help but influence you unless you keep a list of items that are heavily advertised and refuse to buy them.

What are some good English chocolates to buy. I'm going on holiday there soon and I heard that Cadbury's have turned to shit now.

Back in chocolates early days in the U.S. coco powder was expensive so they went with a higher ratio of sugar to coco powder giving American chocolate it's distinctive sourness. For a lot of people who haven't had actual European style chocolate they don't know there is a distinct difference