Grows in the poorest countries

>grows in the poorest countries
>literally just a tree
>doesn't require expensive equipment to plant, grow or harvest
>is fucking expensive

why?

is this artificial scarcity? who is behind it?

Who do you think?

Same with macadamia nuts

it takes lots of water to grow avocados

>grows in the poorest countries
wrong.

why do we grow water intensive plants in drought-ridden california? because retarded millenials are willing to pay $5 per avocado. fuck you.

Avocado trees are huge and take a very long time to fully grow
Avocados are very fragile and sensible to the slightest hits

I came up with half a dozen answers in my head (which are likely partially true), and then realized I don't actually know. Good question.

avocados are $1 to $2 per fruit wtf.

Avocado trees for farming are trimmed very short, about 3 feet tall.

you'd buy it for $5 if you had to dont lie

Only a small region of the country has the right climate to grow them, and imported avocados are shit.

Not necessarily; the answer in fact lies within a basic study of economics. The California government heavily subsidizes to farmers to the point where it is almost free to irrigate their fields. Therefore, farmers grow water-loving crops that won't normally grow in California weather. This has gotten so bad that reservoirs get drained and droughts occur.
It seems the farmers are starting to have to pay now, so food prices of water intensive crops are higher

>Only a small region of the country has the right climate to grow them
Yeah well I live in NYC and avocados are $1-$2 right now.

>about 3 feet tall.
I find this hard to believe

I have a huge avocado tree in my yard. I've never done anything to it. It's planted right next to a lake. 200+ avocados every summer. I add lime juice and freeze a bunch, but then they are only good as puree or guacamole. Many of them just rot in the ground or fall into the lake.

Not my pic, but these are creamy and refreshing avocados that grow in Puerto Rico. They are practically free, feels good man!

I used to live in Santa Barbara and that's what they did out there. I also lived in a house with a big ass avocado tree in the yard that was just a constant mush and branches breaking off.

I live in a state bordering California and a they still charge $2.50 an avocado, even at the cheaper chains.

Vaguely related to the thread, why are lemons and limes so expensive? It's like a buck per lemon here in Oregon and 25ยข for a lime. What gives?

That's the same thing vineyards do with grape vines. It's to ensure that as much of the nutrients as possible are going to the fruit.

I have an avocado tree at home, it gives fruits the entire year and I just throw away most of it because not even the homeless people want to eat this and I still don't believe why this shit is so hyped out there.

Vineyards aren't 3' tall either
If you weren't a retarded frogposter you'd sell them to clueless hipsters and make a cashload

>mfw I have an avocado tree too
I give the stuff to my family, specially in winters

>Vineyards aren't 3' tall either

You should sell them at a farmers market

Where do you get them so long? Such a 'longness' is almost impossible to get in Denmark

you want to use as a dildo or eat it?

Variety I guess. In tropical weather, the avocados here get slightly watery, very large, and very refreshing. I can't even consider growing our varieties in someplace like Denmark. Our trees grow over 30 feet tall; can't fit that in a greenhouse

You don't just pay for the fruit in the price, you pay for the transportation. It's not artificial scarcity, its popularity is rising because it's the new meme food like kale. Thus demand is overreaching supply so prices have to go up.

Like 80% of the avocado harvest are usually lost to giant ground sloths.

Don't giant armadillos account for the majority of avocado loss?

>is this artificial scarcity? who is behind it?

Gee
>mexicans grow it
>drumpf president
>hates brown people and LGBTQ
>prices go up

Hmm, hard to think why. Sorry but it shouldn't take 1.25 extra to put some guac on my subway, burger, or burrito.

Because they spoil stupidly fast and there are very few areas in america suitable for growing them.

>I believe what comedians tell me

You can't just grow fucking avocado. You have to splice trees into each other like fucking Frankenstein or they won't produce fruit.

Don't give a shit if prices keep rising for me, it's bad enough LA wants to tax me MORE after raising the min wage up now I make "just over" my tax bracket to get good benefits...

>gives me violent shits

Market bullshit. Sometimes it'll come down to store exclusivity agreements, crop losses, what people in your area are willing to pay, any other difficulties with supplying your area with a particular item.

Arizona not much of a problem, but a big problem is that here most vendors for resturants bars and such get first dibs

We probably just eat a lot more avocados than those in Oregon do. Stores always think they have to put up giant displays to sell stuff, and if they don't sell it, it's a risk. If they have a continual waste, but enough people willing to pay for it, they just raise the price to account for the waste.

> 90% of avocados eaten in America
Uh-huh, worlds largest producer.

>1999

Why the fuck should I believe this? That was 18-19 years ago. I've heard mexicans illegally grow avocado's in the forests because the water consumption is so bad

avocados*

I lived on what used to be an Avocado Orchard, they built some houses there but left pretty much every tree alive they could after clearing just enough land for the houses. I used to eat them constantly until I got so sick of them I stopped.
>they need constant rain
Yeah no, everything was alive and well in drought filled California.
Also featured: ten thousand mice eating rotting Avocados after they fell and coyote after coyote eating the mice.

1989 and it states they were the biggest producer for domestic consumption.
has the right idea.

>Avocado trees were still alive during drought
BECAUSE THE COMMIEFORNIA PARTY SUBSIDIZED ALL THE FUCKING WATER TO THE FARMERS

When did avocados become popular? Forget them. They're nothing. You don't want them. These aren't the berries you're looking for.

>
>Don't giant armadillos account for the majority of avocado loss?

Another fucking giant armadillo thread.

You raise a valid fuck up. But now my argument has only grown stronger

Reminder that a lot of the Mexican avocado farms are controlled by the drug gangs.

Patrolled by giant armadillos. Nothing left of a body, not even the bones... giant armadillo digestive powers...

>mfw /pol/ has video of a cartel flailing a captured police's son's abdomen's entrails until they tear his heart out
Feels mad man

bitch trader jihads has them for 50 cents each. Haas too

Maybe you missed the part where this was an ex-orchard and no longer irrigated?

Never bought avacodo. In Brazil they grow wild like jack fruit

Time to ship them to the States and sell them for $2.50 each.

>live in Fallbrook
>"avocado capital of the world"

3 trees allows me to give literally everyone I know bags of avocados when I harvest
only reason they're expensive is because idiots who live in new York will pay $2 per

>Denmark
You guys shouldn't even try. Every avocado I've tried in Europe has been rubbery shit.

Avocados are 25cents during season. You just pull over to the side of the road and take what you want, then drop your money into the box at the stand.
Hell, every soccer mom has an avocado tree in their yard down here now ever since the state killed everyone's orange trees after the citrus canker scare a few years ago.

During season? This guy harvests the entire year from a single tree

there is no such thing as avocado season, they never overrippen and you can keep them on the tree until you want to use them, which makes this possible

really long tree

jews

>Fallbrook
I love Falbrook during the summer because on every corner is a spic selling avocados dirt cheap. You can get a bag of 15 for $5.

They do it with all the apple orchards around here. Byt about 7-8 feet tall.

>who is behind it?
gee i wonder

>5 dollars for avocados
nigga what? they are like a dollar per avocado here in the expensive store

false

yeah, small ones from chinatwon

but you all aint got no, electrficity, abron

what stae?

They cost anywhere between 50 to 80 cents in California. Get fucked flyover.

Anons, I will make a video in the next few days of how to make an avocado bread that is actually fucking delicious. This is not some millenial hipster shit. I actually just bought some avocados 3 years ago and experimented with it. It can be fucking delicious with the right mix.

check in on Wednesday evening my dudes.

>waah why do these millennials keep ostentatiously eating fruits and vegetables
t. trailer trash mcdonaldsfag

No they don't, at least not recently. They also don't cost $5 a piece in flyover land; that's just pure bullshit.

hi former santa barbara bro

>longness
You mean length danish bro

nice