I live in an apartment and anyone who has would know that the cook top is always fucked...

I live in an apartment and anyone who has would know that the cook top is always fucked. All my coils are slanted towards the center as if a fat woman ran across a row of ovens for some sort of fatlogic twitter stunt.

I'm looking to buy a cooktop to use instead because so all my food/oil doesn't pool on one side when I cook and burn everything, and because they're portable (I'll find a use for that later).

Does anyone have experience with pic related? My Asian market has a gas version that cost half as much, about $25-30, and cooks well enough too. What do you recommend?

The gas version from the Asian market.
>Academy has them too

Induction is ass
Gas is boss

Getting refills for gas is a fucking pain. Just get an induction, they work plenty well enough.

Since his apartment already had a cooktop I would imagine it also has a gas supply

t. never used induction

>All my coils are slanted towards the center
dosen't sound like a gas cooktop

> all my food/oil doesn't pool on one side when I cook and burn everything

or you could level your damn stove

I have that unit. It's great. buy it.

Both are excellent and used widely in asia because of limited space. Personally I'd get an induction, refilling the gas cannisters is a pain in the ass.

sadly, no gas supply
cook top on the oven is electric, I think apartments around here are all electric

They're all slanted inwards to the center, one side isn't higher than the others, the cook top itself dips in the middle.
Just a cheap appliance.

I'll get the induction then.
Aside from the pic, what are decent brands and whats a good price range?

>no gas supply

how's that 3rd world country treating you, Juan?

Countertop griddles are awesome for a lot of things but not all. Mine even has temperature control

>Juan
You're not far off, Houston actually
Which collectively we have more gas and oil than any other city.

Why isn't it plumbed into your house then, 3rd worlder?

Fuck dude crawl out of your mom's basement cave. There's huge areas of the land of corporate pillaging that don't have natural gas and rely on the unregulated propane jew if they're not all electric.

>propane jew
>always cheaper than electric

most apartments in the united states don't have gas. it's fucked up but true.

not everyone wants stinky gas fumes in their fucking house
t. has gas plumbing but still uses electric

seriously

for most things induction is great

unless you cook exclusively in a wok

I've never seen an apartment that didn't have gas and I've lived in apartments my entire life.

even then i'd say over 95% of residential gas stoves don't have the btus required for a wok

Who cares

Also induction is for old people, my mom and my aunt basically forced my grandma to get rid of her gas stove and install induction because they were afraid she was going to burn the place down in her old age

I'll admit it's pretty amazing for boiling water, but otherwise it's shit

>Who cares
great argument

Mine isn't shit.

I can set it to any temp and it'll keep it there no matter what extra shit I dump into the pot. If you can't see the value in this and you can't see why no other stove technology can replicate it then there's no hope for you and you might as well give up and become a trap.

so 3 apt?

there are no apartments that have gas in them, electric is cheap and easy to install and the residents absorb the 100% of the cost after installation.
its smarter for the renters

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to hook that thing up to your gas anyway.

I moved into an apartment with great rent, a balcony and central air. The downside was that the oven is electric and the larger coil doesn't fit right. As if I was ripped from another unit. So I went out and bought an induction jobby. Very, very nice. Turns out I already owned a ton of shit that worked with induction anyways.

What do you need to use with induction?

>what are decent brands
Make sure you get one that can be set for a minimum power setting well below 400W. Most of them dont go lower than that and it is huge pain in the ass, because that will still get a pretty furious boil going with anything less than a full three gallon pot. No way to gently simmer some bolognese for three hours or something while taking a nap, it would boil off all the liquid. The only induction top I know of with proper power settings is the IKEA Tillreda, which has 300W and 100W settings. 100W gives you a perfect simmer.
>What do you need to use with induction?
You need cookware with some metal in the bottom that responds to a magnet. Look for the induction "coil" symbol. All cast iron works well, as does all carbon steel. Pretty much any newer cookware except pure cast aluminium is induction compatible.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check my pans