What are some comparable book series to Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones in terms of massive created worlds and...

What are some comparable book series to Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones in terms of massive created worlds and full histories?
You could spend hours reading about the history of Middle Earth and the elves and men and all that, as well as reading about the War of the Seven Kingdoms and Westeros and that whole world.
What is something as epic and comparable to get lost in?

Tolkien is clearly better but Martin is from Bayonne so gotta support the homie

WHEEEEEEL OF TIME

You could read about medieval Europe

Boring. It's all religion crap and kings killing other kings because Jesus and stuff

this wheel of times history is better than most of the things that happen in the books current time

>tfw the visage of my favorite fantasy characters are forever enshrined as their hackneyed celebrity counterparts instead of as their creator had described them

And the books seem to take roughly 17 calendar years from your life with every volume.

I don't like that the person who drew this copied the actors' faces either but they don't seem that bad. The costumes are at least pretty well done. The one I'd probably take strongest issue with is Aragorn. Viggo Mortenson seems like a cool guy but I don't buy him as a king. He should stick to shit neo-Cronenberg flicks.

>implying GoT isn't just the edgelord's LotR

Stormlight Archive

If by "edgelord's" you mean full of more 3 dimensional characters who aren't just simplistic caricatures of good and evil, then yeah

If you like got read medieval history. Egil saga, Merovingian Chronicles, qatar wars. It's not boring. There are even some runes and spells and shit.

>Lord of the Rings
>Game of Thrones
>comparable
Fuck off back to /tv/. GRRM's world is a tiny microcosm compared to what Tolkien created.

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichaen duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

I'm not sure if this is pasta, but it should be. Like the "dullest franchise" pasta, it should be posted every time GRRM is mentioned. Preferably accompanied by a questionable fantasy tier list.

DUNE

Or if you would like a fun read (and don't care about reading difficulty),
Timothy Zahn's contributions to the SW EU (FUCK YOU DISNEY FOR DESTROYING IT), Lucas may or may not have considered the cannon and could have been possibly working on an Admiral Thrawn movie.

Yes I know Thrawn is back but it isn't the same.

Or if you want to be a kid again, read the Redwall series. AKA LOTR-Arthurian Legends-Chaucer with English forest animals for 12 year olds.

The world of Redwall is 100 times larger, more interesting and better thought out than Westeros.

Read Dunsany bitch

Different goals m8. Tolkien felt jelly of other countries having such amazing folklore and literally set out to create his own and thus writing a shitload about everything from gods to smallest creatures which in part resulted in really boring fucking reads.
GRR wanted to do a somewhat realistic/believable medieval-style fantasy world and thus we get lots of politics and families and not hundreds of magical or semi magical races. I mean the dude ranted about stuff like Dragons being shown with 4 legs saying it's stupid because no creature on earth has 4 legs AND wings.

>Timothy Zahn's contributions to the SW EU (FUCK YOU DISNEY FOR DESTROYING IT), Lucas may or may not have considered the cannon and could have been possibly working on an Admiral Thrawn movie.
>Yes I know Thrawn is back but it isn't the same.
Zahn's contributions to the EU aren't even the best, the man is a meme. X-Wing series and Matthew Stover's works outclass him by several tiers.

>resulted in really boring fucking reads.
I absolutely can't comprehend why anyone would find Tolkien boring. Every time I read Tolkien, I feel elevated, more appreciative of the world's beauty, and somehow more alive than I felt before. It's GRRM who bores me to shit.

It's pasta. But I wrote it. I could honestly write a book on the topic.

>reads tolkien
go back to /v/

Get into the Witcher universe. Both games and books.

why go for adaptations when you have the source material?

lrn2mythologies

bump

Nah

Robert E. Howard is the true originator of the fantasy genre we are so affiliated with today. Conan was written before Lord of the Rings.

Then you're a brainlet who can't understand the political machinations that make GoT what it is (was), and instead prefer the more simpleminded characters of LOTR. Which is fine, there's no need to stress out your mind.

>There are even some runes and spells and shit.

>What are some comparable book series to Lord of the Rings ... in terms of massive created worlds and full histories?
Abrahamic religion (plus, if you want to count it, the various associated literary works... Milton, Blake, etc.)
But I'm not aware of any world-building by a single, lone author that compares to what Tolkien accomplished in both quantity and quality.
Lovecraft created some really awesome stuff, but it isn't nearly as internally consistent as Tolkien's stuff, and there's not as much detail.

GoT is shit. I've read the books on lotr and seen the movies but I couldn't even finish watching the first episode of lotr or get into the books. I managed to read the terrible self-insert bullshit that is Name of the Wind but there's something about GoT that I just hate. That said I'm 100% sure this question has been asked. A quick place for massive lore dump is to google WoW/WH40k/Elder Scrolls lore and read their books.

I just can't take GoT seriously after the mess that is the TV show. LotR all the way

The Riftwar Saga and everything else set in that universe, I suppose. There is a lot of content that develops several worlds in several series and standalone books. You could read the Empire Trilogy too. It's somewhat saddening though because of all the content it goes through life times of characters, so one you may grow accustomed to will soon be old or dead when a new story and new primary characters are assumed.