ITT - Overrated "Classics"

What a shit book. Desperately tried to make the "black community" seem respectable and intelligent - succeeds in making them talk like educated whites. Dat realism.
Bashes whites - but married one. Bashes whites - but was inspired by white writers.
Poorly-written. Unremarkable prose. Basically a muffled chimpout on paper.

teen thread

t. black.

I'm getting the distinct impression that this post was written by someone who is not biased against blacks in any way.

lmao frreal, op racist af, like this whole board desu

This is called redpill, idiots. Please contribute with your obsevations about the inferiority of women and nonwhites or fuck off back to plebbit

I shoved my wily in thy mothers excretory organ homo

ITT: Teens-who-reside-in-the-schools-stairwell thread.

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Pure dribble

The Scarlet Letter -- Loved by English teachers for its clumsy symbolism and (factually incorrect) slander of muh Puritans.
A Tale of Two Cities -- I'm pretty sure this is on high school reading lists because it's relatively short by Dickens standards
Pride & Prejudice -- OK but overrated
The Great Gatsby -- OK but overrated, popularity probably the result of inertial nostalgia from the Greatest Generation.
This Kind of War -- Totally eclipsed by more recent histories of the Korean War, yet still dickridden because of that morality narrative.
Night -- I hate to sound like a /pol/ edgelord, but: a deliberately misleading piece of fiction passed off as history to children who don't know any better.
To Kill A Mockingbird -- Again, fiction passed off as history, albeit not with the same level of deception as Night.

A tale of two cities is excellent

From memory, Gatsby was issued to American soldiers during the second world war.

Le Magical Yam man is over praised.

Also ITT: Teens-who-bring-Mein-Kampf-to-class-and-want-people-to-comment-on-it

You hang out with the cool kids who smoke

The Great Gatsby has prose so offensive to me that I couldn't finish the book. Another square inch of my body broke out in a rash every time I had to read an adverb or a flowery replacement for a simple "he said" or "he asked"

Excellent list. I'd like to add Catcher in the Rye. Its a piece of shit book written by a pedophile recluse. That is.

Great Gatsby is a great novel. The ending will stick with me forever. I haven't felt such a ending since darkness at noon.

To Kill a Mockingbird. If it was written today it would be forgotten almost instantly the week it was published since it would just be slated as pandering.

I don't understand the praise Steinbeck gets. Maybe that says more about me than him.

You obviously have an ax to grind (I'm not sure how one "bashes whites" yet holds up "educated whites" as an ideal, while somehow failing to make the black community seem "respectable and intelligent"), but Angelou isn't the best place to go for a taste of black literature.

native son
nw
turn of the screw
on the road
brave new world
les miserables
adventures of kavelier and klay
shadow of the torturer
beloved
naked lunch
bright lights, big city
freedom
the flamethrowers

based

It could have been half as long without losing anything. Maybe even a short story, although I did like hearing Dickens's perspective on both the London and Paris of the time -- classic Early Victorian moralism from the master himself.

>I hate to sound like a /pol/ edgelord
>holocaust didn't happen btw :^)

Jane Eyre

Fucking trash

I like 1984 but it's the go-to book for pseudo-intellectuals to name drop, especially when anything remotely controversial in politics occurs no matter how irrelevant

OP is right though. Stick to Gwendolyn Brooks.

>shadow of the torturer
die

i've always wondered what it is that keeps so many people from actually reading this fucking book. the popular conception of the novel has little to do with the actual plot, even though everyone claims to have read it. i think it's excellent but Orwell's nonfiction is 1000x better.

Most of those books aren't even classics you big dummy.

There are many parts in Night (specifically the hanging of the child) that didn't happen. The holocaust was horrifying enough that Weasel didn't have to make anything up.

Ah yes, Night is fiction means the Holocaust didn't happen. Do you see any problems with this logic? (Hint: Night is a work of fiction)

But aspects taken from Night have become integral parts of the Holocaust story. Take them away and you're no longer dealing with 'The Holocaust', but something quite different