What do you like to make with chicken broth?

My roommate bought bone-in chicken by accident, so I used the bones to make about 2 1/2 gallons of broth, but now I don't really know what to do with it.

>2.5 gallons
does it taste like water? from 1 chicken (8 pieces) you get about 2 liters of quality stock.

pan sauces and soups
measure them out into 1/4c portions

i can it but i'm going to assume you don't have the right equipment for that
so i would suggest so freeze it in half or liter portions and use it to make soups, stews, chili, rices, beans, gravy etc.

i did 3 turkey carcasses and i got 5 and a half liters of the dankest darkest stock i'v ever made

Reduce into a demiglaze, use for finishing sauces/boldening flavors

No why? I added knorr stock pots.

2 and half gallons from a single carcass? That's just lightly flavored water.

Boiling stock significantly darkens it.

umm
how do you make stock without boiling it, user?

>boiling stock
Newb mistake.

By simmering it.

what is this meme?

Not that guy, but you should never let a stock boil. It should always be at a steady simmer.

Simmer dingus. Never boil.
Makes shit cloudy.

If you see more than a bubble every few seconds then you're simmering too hot.

sorry, esl
i didn't boil it, i simmered it

I make a lot of chicken stock and bring it to a boil initially, then turn it right down low and let it simmer for 3-4 hours. Is the initial brief period of boiling a mistake?

>Is the initial brief period of boiling a mistake?
Technically, yes.
The bones, mirepoix and sachet garni should all be placed in cold water, and slowly brought to a steady simmer. Really, boiling the stock doesn't really do all that much aside from making the stock murky, cloudy, or darkened. Stocks should always be fairly clear looking.

Interesting, thanks user. My stock does turn out somewhat murky, though it is still delicious. Perhaps it will be even better this way.

how come pressure cooked stock comes out clear?

The only reason that a dark stock is "unacceptable" is due to traditional, classical French cuisine.
But aye, clearer sticks are visibly more enticing.

Depends, you want a ton of one kind of soup or many?

If one, just go generic chicken soup w/ some veggies and barley and whatnot

But I like to freeze individual portions (more like two portions each) of broth, then use that for quick dinners when I'm lazy. I generally will do a whole chicken w/ vietnamese/sichuan spices in the water, then turn the bones to a flavorful stock using the water I cooked the bird in (pressure cooker).

A bit of ginger, sriracha, garlic, sambal, lime, rice noodles, and various veggies (I like baby bok choy and bamboo shoots with enoki mushrooms) all put into the thawed pot, heated to a quick simmer to soften the veg, then serve.

Super quick, and really fucking tasty

Pressure cookers don't boil.
Pressure keeps bubbles from forming.

makes sense, thanks

>My roommate bought bone-in chicken by accident

So he was intending to buy boneless? Manlet.

Risotto, Italian rice dish.

how i make thai chicken broth:

roasted bones from 1 chicken
drippings from 1 roasted chicken
1 onion roughly chopped
5 stalks of celery and leaves roughly chopped
1 star anise
4 lime leaves
some ginger or sliced galangal (optional)
store bought chicken stock if you want extra broth

simmer for at least 3 hours, strain (feel free to use a colander but anything finer will have clearer broth), and refrigerate overnight. skim fat off and reserve when making soup to add back accordingly.

serve with rice noodles, cabbage, sliced thai chilies in fish sauce, bean sprouts, thai basil, cilantro, really whatever you want most things are pretty good in soup.

this soup will cure any illness.

oh and add leftover chicken and skin to the soup, obviously

I usually use it in place of water for rice and often for gravy and pan sauces.

I was thinking less than 2 liters

Make wine

Yeah, it seems a bit thin. It's my first time making it so I don't really know what I'm doing. Can I just pour it back in the slow cooker and leave it on low until it reduces?

Dark stock means you get all the good stuff out of it. Those bones should fucking crumble to dust when you strain the liquid.
That shit should set like jell-o when you put it in the fridge overnight.

Risotto, rice, pasta sauces, gravy, soups
basically anything that you cook with water
best reduce it further because 2.5 gallons from one chicken is probably hella thin, freeze some if you have more than you can handle.

>basically anything that you cook with water
Simple enough, thanks.

It's in the slow cooker on low now to reduce it.

Yes. This guy understands. He knows what is up. Follow his lead. Do what he does. Model yourself after him and you will find happiness in your life.

Freeze whatever you don't use. It only last a few days in the fridge so use it quick and freeze the rest.

oh it might be real obvious to you but don't waste it as pasta water, you can't really notice the difference (especially with sauce)
same goes for cooking beans imo

This. Friends don't let friends waste a good fond.