Liberals BTFO. How did Dosto do it?

Liberals BTFO. How did Dosto do it?

>liberals
>BTFO
>Dosto

What happened to this place?

Nobody knows.

Is this book any good? I know a girl who has a profile pic on which she's holding it.

What the fuck is Nikolai's problem?

It's bretty good, interesting to see dostoyevsky's view on the nihilists of the day.

It's called the fappening, gamergate, and Trump.

Side question:

Can we finally all admit that Dosto was, in fact, the best Russian?

How was it gamergate?

HOW IS THIS TRANSLATION? I HEAR THE OXFORD IS BETTER, AND DESPITE THIS GREAT COVER WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FUCKING PENGUIN AFTER ALL

Penguin is a meme.
I've started buying "Bantam Classics". It's absolute trash, but hey, at least its original.

you're not Rei

I read the penguin translation, quite liked it, some of the translation notes showed references to contemporaries that dostoyevsky was making which was nice.

I'd like to hijack this post to also ask: Anyone read the Barnes and Noble copy of Brothers Karamazov? How is it?

Garnett translation, avoid, unless you want all books to sound like they were written by the same anglo

He's a moralist, interesting how Rand is so hated here while Dostoyevsky gets praised

Fuck I already bought it pretty long ago. Only for like $3 thankfully. What's the best translation of BK? Worst comes to worst I'll wait to read it in Russian in like 10 years

Atheism

no way

So lads are we agreed that in regard to pure writing ability Chekhov has Dostoevsky beat?

And Bunin and Bely too, really. People here just read Dostoevsky because "IZ JUS LIKE MUH R9K" or virtue signal that "DUDE LIKE IVE READ BROS K AND REALLY CONSIDER GOING TO MASS NOW."

Can you read Russian? Most of this board is 'blind' when it comes to answering your question.

Don't bother with the obscure translations Veeky Forums says are the best. Nobody here speaks Russian, and they choose their favorites purely based on contrarianism. I've seen people shit on Constance Garnett and then list their favorite translations as stuff that was heavily based off her work. P&V used to be universally praised, but now everyone here shits on them because they're popular and a handful articles criticized their translations.

If you want accuracy plus something that sounds plausibly Russian, go with P&V (they seem to be well-received by Russian scholars and people who actually speak the language). If your main concern is readability and you don't mind liberties being taken or the works sounding more English than Russian, go with Constance Garnett (DH Lawrence, Hemingway, and many other English language authors discovered Dostoevsky through her translations, and they tend to speak highly of her). Both are valid choices.

I'm afraid not and I'm aware this disqualifies me from comparing their writing to a large degree but it's hard not to sense that Chekhov is by far the more mature and true writer.

idgaf senpai.

Chillruns and /pol/.

People don't criticize Peepee-Voovoo because they're "popular" but because their whole translation paradigm is OCD. Let's say Sergey Monstruosov uses Russian clichés and commonplaces in his dialogue and Peepee-Voovoo translates them all literally, is the end result a reasonable reflection of the original dialogue? Hell naw. Because in another language every single one of those clichés and commonplaces might sound mysterious and unusual which would consequently completely change the tone of the text in the second language. Also, I've encountered many Russians who cannot into English idiomatics beyond the most basic level despite having a doctorate in English and working professionally in translation and/or interpretation so I wouldn't put much weight on how Russian scholars (whatever that means) receive a translation into English. Let's not forget that to them a literal translation of a Russian idiom into English doesn't sound alien so they might even assume it's similarly familiar in English. You really need to reconsider what "taking liberties" in translation actually is. For example, a literal translation that slavishly follows the syntax of the original language is not a good translation. There is a ton of high-frequency language in any language you do NOT translate literally because different languages use different but just as high-frequency ways of expressing the exact same thing.

interesting can you give some examples of this in general?

I speak Russian you faggot, can't read too well though.

He did a few things that liberals never do
>genuinely suffered
>judiciously examined existence
>was actually intelligent
liberals, atheists, and "muh chemical" materialists never stood a chance

I'm russian and I think that they are both amazing.

is it a bad idea to read this as a newbie getting into literature? haven't even read much russian based literature

I'd start with The Gambler and then move on to more difficult and longer books by the Russians.

Why did Stavrogin kill himself?

He raped a little girl

You're confusing him with Holden Caulfield