Smoking general, beefy boi edition

Anyone ever smoke meats and vegetables as opposed to grilling or baking?

I have an electric smoker and I'm popping in a brisket shortly. Smoking that 6.5 lb boi with hickory and white oak chips.
>Injected with Worcestershire sauce and beef broth
>Homemade rub of cayenne, s+p, paprika, oregano, granulated garlic

Also adding some cabbage bombs later in the smoke. I just cut out the core of whole cabbages and stuffed them with butter and a variety of seasonings.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nx_8GTl8DyI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>smoked cabbage
oh lordy that sounds amazing

I've actually never had it but I saw vid related and I had to.

youtube.com/watch?v=nx_8GTl8DyI

>I don't have any white balsamic, wonder if I can substitute in Rice Vinegar
>6hr cook time

Thoughts on the Traeger smoker/grill?

It is LITRALLY the best smoker you can buy

Really? Or are you just meming me?

A lot of people who smoke in competitions use them. It's a little overkill if you're just using it for yourself.

I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker at Cabela's for $200 and it does just fine.

It's more of something that you can throw in while smoking a piece of meat. The brisket i have in there will be like a 8-9 hour cook time so why not throw those in too.

For sure, I just don't like to freestyle a recipe if I've never made the original recipe first, especially one where I have to think about it for 6hrs and then it tastes like dookie because of the ingredient I substituted.

I was totally unfamiliar with smoking until I found a weber smoky mountain my dad had sitting in his yard for years he bought cheap second hand.

Since then, I cleaned it up and seasoned it with cheap cuts of meat. First thing I cooked was thanksgiving turkey this past year. Came out incredible. I've smoked every weekend since. Favorite thing I've smoked have been St Louis cut ribs. Smoked a prime rib for Christmas. Wrapped some sweet trader Joe corn in foil and smoked it and it was incredible. Learned more about different smoking woods, now I forage my own coastal live oak give a sweet mellow flavor.

Guy I've been looking to for recipes is harry soo. Smoking his tri tip recipe tomorow

I don't like them because they take all the skill required to make good smoked meat out of the equation, meaning all the years I've perfected my techniques are worthless. But I suppose I'm a purist.

Most people consider this a good thing. Now anyone can make good smoked meats and whatever else you want to smoke.

I'll admit that is pretty cool, but for me it kindof takes the ritual out of it y'know? Standing around hanging out, tending to the fire, drinking beer....smoking meats for me is kindof more than just cooking, it's an activity, a hobby. Many weekends I've enjoyed just smoking things.

With a traeger, I set it and then go inside until it's done. If I was doing 20lb batches of sausage or something all the time it would be perfect.

half the fun smoking is learning to control the heat

I'm back guys. Here's how it turned out.

I smoked it at 250 degrees until it hit about 160 internally. Wrapped it in foil and finished it at 200. I let it rest for an hour.

In hindsight I wish I would have let it cook uncovered for a little longer, to get more bark, but it was still delicious.

looks good, yeah would wait for it to get a bit darker, heres mine from a couple weeks ago first attempt on new smoker i let my bark go all the way ;^)

> doesn't show the cabbage head after the smoking

It'll let you live to be 150.

>I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker at Cabela's for $200 and it does just fine.

For a Regular Joe who isn't making 9,000lbs of meat, electric is the only way to go, as smoking meat is all about maintaining a _steady_ temperature.

Looks perfect to me.

Sorry guy. It wasn't done when I took this picture :/

ummm...

My pussy