Are there any felon-turned-authors that were incarcerated for violent crimes? No thug-literature, please...

Are there any felon-turned-authors that were incarcerated for violent crimes? No thug-literature, please. I'm talking about someone who was intelligent and eloquent enough to write something that you would never expect out of someone with a criminal record. And the man (or woman) had to have done something like assault and battery or worse. Hard mode: It can't be a political crime, so no Nelson Mandela. Very Hard mode: Holding someone at gun-point or knife-point alone doesn't cut it, either.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_"Chopper"_Read#Author
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eldridge Cleaver

If arson counts, and I eventually get published, then myself I suppose.

what did you do?

I got involved with this lesbian chick in high school.
Things went on as they usually do, I found myself falling for her, and she became bored with me.
Decided she didn't want to be with a guy after all.
But, I went over to her house with a " friend"and got all got drunk.
I got really fucked up, went and puked, and passed out.

Find out the next day she slept with my supposed friend.

So,
I set her car on fire.

Keith Kozart, the greatest poet of the 21st century.

Norio Nagayama

Althusser lmao

anticlimactic/10

James Fogle. He wrote an autobiography called Drugstore Cowboy based on his crimes. He wrote other stuff but only Drugstore Cowboy was published after it was adapted into a movie and got critical acclaim

Jean Genet

I came here just to mention Genet, though he was more of a thief than a violent criminal.

O. Henry embezzled money and wrote his short stories from jail, although I doubt he's what OP is looking for.

Oh yeah! This guy DOES match OP's description. He's a bit like the kind of people Tolstoyevsky warned about. Read him, OP. Get your edgy Veeky Forums lit!

marquis de sade

Jack Unterweger a.k.a the prison poet

>killed girl in woods when 17
>gets sentenced to life in prison
>starts writing in prison
>Austrian intelligencia likes his stuff
>intelligencia shills to get him release
>gets released
> lives a playboy lifestyle in vienna
>starts killing hookers again but people dont suspect him because they think its too unlikely
>even interviews hookers for state radio about the murders
>police start to suspect its him
>flees to los angeles with his girlfriend
>gets arrested and sentenced to life in priaon again
>says its a conspiracy by a retired police officer against him
>kills himself one day after sentence by hanging
>hangs himself with the same knot the hookers where strangled and by this giving his confession hes the murderer.

Fuck. Nice find.

François Villon

Carl Panzram was a serial killer/rapist/thief who was convinced to write down his story by a prison guard who befriended him while he was incarcerated.

For a man with little formal education his writing is remarkably clear and kinda funny sometimes. He's also a massive edgelord, but his life was so monumentally fucked up that it's hard to really blame him for it.

Freaking Bevenuto Cellini was what today we'd call a serial killer. Read the Boswell of the Autobiography..

Hillary soon :^)

he was into schopenhauer iirc.

there's a part in the book where he's reading kant's critique of pure reason (or the other one) while in prison and he gets so frustrated trying to understand it, he hurls it across his cell.

In the Belly of the Beast is a book written by Jack Abbott and published in 1981.

Jack Abbott was an American prisoner and the book consists of his letters to Norman Mailer about his experiences in what Abbott saw as a brutal and unjust prison system. Mailer supported Abbott's successful bid for parole in 1981, the year that In the Belly of the Beast was published.

The book was very successful, and on July 19, 1981, the New York Times published a praising review of it. However, the day before, Abbott had killed a waiter during a row at a restaurant called Binibon on 2nd Avenue in the East Village. Abbott was eventually arrested, convicted of manslaughter, and returned to prison for the rest of his life until his suicide in 2002.

No "thugs" means no blacks.

Jimmy Santiago Baca was illiterate before he went to prison and is now a phenomenal poet.

Also Etheridge Knight.

Marcus Desalad

Brendan Behan

Norio Nagayama

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_"Chopper"_Read#Author

The Aul chop-chop

>felon-turned-authors that were incarcerated for violent crimes
There won't be many. The characteristics that cause someone get incarcerated for a violent crime are pretty different than the ones it takes to make a good author.

Some rappers are actually very talented poets. I don't know this one, but when you get down to it - and when you're secure enough to admit it - some have surprisingly striking and creative imagery. They might not always be exploiting it, but it's there. For every talented poet in rap there are thousand of shit ones, but it's the same thing amongst real "poets" desu.

Now this is how a true poet ends his life.

Albert Frederick Nussbaum

Krystian Bala
>write a book
>describe a murder
>very similar to real life murder
>go to jail
>the press all around the world knows it and writes about it
>polanski wants to make a movie
Le poland face

Would Burroughs count?

Etheridge Knight is the fuckin GOAT. Feeling Fucked Up is one of the best poems I have ever read.

XD

Bernard Stiegler, philosopher of technology, armed robbery--did five years, I think.

Edward Bunker

Are there any published sex offenders?

I wish his works got translated, his life sounds interesting.

>Some rappers are actually very talented poets.
Like who?

>romanticizing suicide
>durr I'm a real poet

Oooooh, he used curse words in his poetry, SOO REAL XDDD

Buachaill.

Thomas Malory.

de Sade

Ol' Dirty Bastard and Young Thug

> Sagawa has written books about the murder, as well as Shonen A, a book on the 1997 Kobe child murders.[10] He has also written restaurant reviews for the Japanese magazine Spa.[11] Sagawa can no longer find publishers for his writing and he has struggled to find employment. He was nearly accepted by a French-language school because the manager was impressed by his courage in using his real name, but employees protested and he was rejected.

>I don't understand poetry

Stick to Goosebumps kid.

mcvicar by himself, by john mcvicar
also check out the film version starring roger daltrey and adam faith

>Are there any published sex offenders?
eric gill. although he wasn't ever arrested or anything. he fucked his dog, his sisters and his daughters

also there was a guy recently who wrote some books about playing the recorder specifically so he could get kids to come to his house for music lessons and abuse them

>I'm a groupie for life, about nine wife
>All the babies are mine, save a child life
>No more doctors delivering my babies
>Stick in pins killing me slowly
>To the President who say I'm a welfare fraud
>You motherfucking right, let's burn this dark house white
>Insecure about my ding-dong, married to Babylon
>My queen looking at me like a pawn

>t. Russel Jones

Yeah, suicide is pretty dumb. It's fucked when you're down there and it seems like a solution though. The mind can play some strange tricks on you. It sucks that mental illness is so high amongst poets. But as far as OP's post goes, it makes sense that there would be more poets than say novelists who fit what he's searching for.

He was a pretty good writer, actually -- although one would think that his very vivid description of stabbing someone to death, and the pleasure he took from that, would have given Mailer pause.

>Here is how it is: You are both alone in his cell. You’ve slipped out a knife (eight- to ten-inch blade, double-edged). You’re holding it beside your leg so he can’t see it. The enemy is smiling and chattering away about something. You see his eyes: Green-blue, liquid. He thinks you’re his fool: he trusts you. You see the spot. It’s a target between the second and third button on his shirt. As you calmly talk and smile, you move your left foot to the side to step across his right-side body length. A light pivot toward him with your right shoulder and the world turns upside down: you have sunk the knife to its hilt into the middle of his chest. Slowly he begins to struggle for his life. As he sinks, you will have to kill him fast or get caught. He will say “Why?” Or “No!” Nothing else. You can feel his life trembling through the knife in your hand. It almost overcomes you, the gentleness of the feeling at the center of a coarse act of murder. You’ve pumped the knife several times without even being aware of it. You go to the floor with him to finish him. It is like cutting hot butter, no resistance at all. They always whisper one thing at the end: “Please.” You get the odd impression that he is no imploring you not to harm him, but to do it right. If he says your name it softens your resolve. You go into a mechanical stupor of sorts. Things register in slow motion because all your senses are drawn to a new height. You leave him in the blood, staring with dead eyes. You strip in your cell and destroy your clothing, flushing it down the toilet. You throw the knife away. You jump under the showers. Your clarity returns.

I can't remember any details, but during the late 80s or early 90s I saw a play about Abbott in Los Angeles that incorporated Belly of the Beast, and either an interview or his write-up of the psychotic break that occurred when he killed the waiter -- an extremely vivid description, as seen through the eyes of someone who was pretty clearly insane. The production was extremely well done, a top-notch piece of theater in downtown LA.

>Brendan Behan

Did you not read OP's post? He was about as political as you can get.

>Publishing restaurant reviews written by an honest to God cannibal

Fucking Japan...

Jim Goad beat the fuck out of a lady who was stalking him and threatening him for months, but he doesn't really write stories apart from the weird shit he does for Thought Catalog.

Sir Thomas Malory, writer of La Morte D'Arthur raped the same woman twice, repeatedly escaped prison and generally lived a life of banditry and violence before going on to write the most important collection of Arthurian Legends in English.
He is probably one of the best examples of a violent criminal who went on to write a work of substantial canonical importance and aesthetic worth

cloudDEAD

didnt read thread but theres a guy who joined firefighters in his county and he was an arsonist. he published a book about being a firefighter while also being an arsonist WHILE he was on his crime spree. He got caught because of the book.

>he went free in Japan because the French government sealed his documents
madman!

John Healy, and he has a new one out soon.

You are retarded.

and you eat skittles for brunch faggut

Psychopaths can't write.

t. tao lin