Does MSG really make food taste better...

Does MSG really make food taste better? I've been testing menu ideas this week and started thinking I should pick up a can of accent. Most restaurants do this already, yes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MSG is mostly harmless and a good shortcut to that savory/salty richness sometimes called umami, but there are other ways to achieve said taste(mostly by concentrating the naturally-occuring MSG in meats and certain vegetables), and it would be preferable to use those methods. Mostly because it’s part of making dishes with care and attention to detail, and also because there’s a significant negative(and mostly baseless) bias against MSG and if people found out you’d lose business quickly.

Testing menu ideas? Do you currently or plan to run a restaurant? One can of an additive you I assume are wanting to apply to many products?

Take whatever money you have to spend on your "menu", and either shove it up your ass or use it to pay for business school.

Not that it really matters, you're going to end up bankrupt either way.

This. I use MSG at home, mostly just for making fried rice to get that chinese takeout flavour. I'd never use manufactured MSG at work.

To answer your question, though, yeah. MSG makes food taste great.

you havin a bad day buddy

Never forget

youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

What's your fried rice process?

PAX HAMBURGANA

Using Raw MSG is like using a shortcut, nothing wrong in informal cooking, but no serious chef would use it in that way. There are ways of getting it trough ingredients (shellfish, tomatoes) but that means having to get creative with flavors and a lot of problems that don't come with just using the raw thing. Is harmless and only a faggot would get angry over its use in university-tier cooking, but if you want to feel proud of what you do I would recommend on choosing the hard path
It is restrainement what makes creativity shine, good food existed way before we were able to extract MSG, the only difference now is that people are getting lazier

I saute diced carrots, onions, minced garlic, add chinese barbecue pork (you know, that red shit, like shitty char siu), scallions, add day old rice, a little soy sauce. I push all that to once side, add eggs and cook those up, then mix it up and add frozen peas. MSG to taste. Something like that. I use a wok and a mix of vegetable oil and sesame oil to saute. I use giant cooking chopsticks for that authentico.

Tried using it multiple times, food tasted exactly the same. I think MSG is a meme.

definitely helps garbage button mushrooms taste somewhat like their forest brethren

>OOMURMI

interesting

> Muh arbitrary level of technology is the only true way to prepare food

If you're putting salt in your food, get off your fucking high horse

Guys wtf is even MSG? Like what does it look like and what would it taste like if I took a little bite out of it?

From a distance it looks like salt/sugar but up close the crystals are cylindrical.

The taste is savory as you would expect, something like eating powdered soup but less salty.

It looks like fine salt and tastes of nothing.

There's really no need if its in the ingredients(like parmesan, kombu or fish sauce) already or if you manage to extract it some way. If it's not there and you want it then there's no harm in adding a dash of MSG. Not everything has to have "umami" though.

It also kind of depends. The umami flavor is mostly receptors for glutamates in the way that salty is for sodium, but it also includes receptors for certain monophosphates which aren't particularly intense or appealing in themselves but become both more intense and more appealing when combined with glutamates. So a pinch of MSG can still help other savory things if they're xMP-intensive and also work with, say, more flavorful mushrooms like shiitake; parmesan in particular is one of these.

If you'd like a healthier and less controversial option to get a great umami flavor, try Nutritional Yeast.

Lots and lots of vitamin B, low calorie, rich and flavorful, gluten and soy free, and vegan. can't go wrong.

All you have to do to get salt is make a fucking hole in the ground near the coast and wait for it to dry out. Not at all comparable to the abomination that is MSG

all you have to do to get MSG is make a hole in the ground and fill it with sugar or corn and the right yeast, then pour the output through a charcoal filter and let it dry

I add it to pie crusts and everything else I make now. It adds a subtle good flavor to almost everything. I usually use anywhere from 1-2.5 parts MSG to 5 parts salt.

>umami
>low calorie
>gluten and soy free
>and vegan
Subtle.

>carrots in fried rice

Discarded. The fuck do americans need to add carrots and peas to fucking everything?

How did you come to that conclusion?

>t. trash tier food binger whose tastebuds were completely ruined by processed tv dinners and HFCS

>Most restaurants do this already, yes?
Actually no. Most restaurants that arent fast asian or a select few other large chains avoid it because it's bad PR. If you want to experience the difference it makes ehancing savory flavors, compare the chicken sandwich at chicfila, which is one of the rare chains that uses it in its seasoning, and the one at mcds, which does not. Night and day.

It tastes like parmesan cheese

THE CHEMICAL BURGER

i don't know what you mean but trust me this shit tastes good on shit
you put it in tomato sauce on pizza on popcorn in soup on salad this shit is the shit

it kind of does, it mostly just makes you more hungry so you want to eat more

If you want examples of proper use of msg, CookingInRussia on youtube uses it in some recipes. It isn't necessary in everything though.

The sodium/alkalinity is probably what lends flavor
Glutamate, one of 20 essential amino acids, is not a meme

It tastes soapy

V was too forced

>V was too forced
I-I know...

OP here- we've decided not to use added msg but came to the conclusion that just like fat, salt, and sugar, msg is just another flavor enhancer. We toyed around with some natural msg and it came out great. Forgot to pick some up to compare but thanks for the replies and insight.

Parmesan cheese is really high in glutamate. Tomatoes too. Also Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, marmite, giant sea kelp (really high concentration in this one), and some other shit I can't remember. They're all really good additions to meaty dishes generally. They make them taste meatier.

No

The main function of MSG is to make something bland taste nice. The reason Chinese people use it so much is because their traditional home foods often include bland dishes like a plain broth, or various vegetable and offal dishes which need something more than salt to level up from nice to delicious. Ramen for instance is shit without MSG.

Just don't get accent, get a no frills msg shaker. Accent is hugely expensive.

How much MSG do I use? None of these online recipes ever have MSG in them

>chinese barbecue pork (you know, that red shit, like shitty char siu)

Isn't that just char siu?

I'm from Asia and we do have carrots and peas in our fried rice

Metal Solid Gear...?

A game robbed of its potential, tainted by a washed up hack

How much MSG do you have to add to foods? The same amount as salt?

Just a pinch usually. Taste the food, and add a bit more if it can use it.

I will never not be mad

Playing it now. Is it really that bad? The cremation scene really amped up the feels.